View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Defensive Line 
RIP Killer

Post Defensive Line
Does anyone think that with ALL this DL talent this year that we might end up with a DE or DT? Heck, it is so deep I could see us getting first round talent in the second. With all the talent, first round talent from last year, Heyward, might even slip to the second after a not to good year.

February 4th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Defensive Line
Im not so sure about us taking a DT, but i can definetly see us taking a DE. And depending on who is available at 13, i might find myself actually hoping we take a DE.

Who knows what'll happen with Avril in FA (if there is one), and KVB wont be around forever. I think, depending on who's available, DE might be a smart choice.

What I dont like though is that other than Bowers, it seems like all the top DE's are considered 3-4 guys.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm
RIP Killer

I agree with kdsberman. I don't see DT at all, but DE is a possibility early in the draft - especially Rnd 1 if they go BPA. Putting a stud young DE next to Suh gives the DL an identity for years to come and he can be mentored by KVB who is no spring chicken now.

Ideally the draft falls right and they get a solid LB and CB early in the daft (depending on FA) but who knows at this point.

February 4th, 2011, 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I can see it going two ways, the glut of DT/DE's pushes some other positions back based on the value and rating of the players giving us a good look at some top LB and CB talent (most teams playing BPA)... or the glut will just push more DT/DE talent back (most teams play need).

I don't think we've seen a DL class like this in a long time, not sure if there are any HOF candidates in the class, but the depth of potential pro-bowl talent is incredible. More than half of the top 20 players from a consensus standpoint are DL.

February 4th, 2011, 3:01 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I've seen some mixed reviews on Marcel Dareus. He might be more of a 3-4 end, but he looks like he can be real dominant. Thoughts?

February 4th, 2011, 5:59 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I've seen some mixed reviews on Marcel Dareus. He might be more of a 3-4 end, but he looks like he can be real dominant. Thoughts?

Dareus won't make it out of the top ten, and as was said before, we really don't need a defensive tackle. In truth, we don't NEED a defensive end either, but with Avril set to be a free agent, along with Turk McBride, and KVB getting up there, another defensive end makes a ton of sense if one falls to us. If we do take a DE, then I don't see the Lions trying to re-sign McBride, but they'll still take a run at Avril.

February 5th, 2011, 12:32 pm
NFL Team Captain

As Pablo said, if we put a young stud next to Suh and resign Aviril, we will have a defensive line that would scare the crap out of most QB's in this league and have teams looking for Olinemen.

Then we can look to the back seven, RB and Oline.

I think this is going to be alot of fun for years to come. =D>

February 5th, 2011, 7:04 pm
Team MVP

I tell ya, if they get this CBA thing right, and Free Agency opens up, and we can sign a starting LB (or two) and a CB, then in my opinion, if there is a quality DE available at #13 I say we'd be dumb NOT to take him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 5th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Since Avril should be a RFA (depending upon what happens with the CBA), I don't see him leaving this off-season. Therefore, I don't think DE is a priority this year, but if the BPA at 13 happens to be a DE, I wouldn't have a problem with the Lions selecting one. It may not be a dire need right now, but with KVB getting up there in age and Avril possibly becoming an UFA in 2012, it could be one very shortly. Besides, with Suh being the exception to the rule, it usually takes a defensive lineman a year or two to adjust to the NFL.

February 6th, 2011, 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]