View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Flying at the speed of Mock 1. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Flying at the speed of Mock 1.
m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
The talk now, after folks have seen him at the Senior Bowl is that Miller will be long gone by #13; we might have to trade UP to get him!

But by whom. With his low weight he's kind of been taken off the radar of some teams running a 34. While it's been said he's looked good in coverage and getting to the ball, I've also heard he's struggled to shed blocks, which he'd have to do more of as a 34 OLB. I don't know about you, but I'd rather face a TE trying to block me than a OT most days of the week.

I do agree that his draft stock has risen, but many of the teams picking ahead of us have greater needs than OLB, either in a 34 or 43.

1. Carolina - will take a DL unless a QB pops out at them during the Combines
2. Denver - No need for a rush OLB-either a DL or CB
3. Buffalo - likely to go with a DL or QB
4. Cincy - have spent high picks on LBs, and will likely go CB or WR
5. Arizona - could be in the market, but need a QB desperately.
6. Cleveland - might be interested since they are probably going to switch to a 43 under Jauron
7. SF - QB, CB, possible to go with Miller as replacement for Lawson or Haraylson
8. Tennessee - Likely to be a QB, but could go DL or CB if one falls
9. Dallas - no need for rush OLB
10. Houston - where I thought he may go, until his measured weight.
11. Washington - No need
12. Minnesota - could consider Miller, but need a QB, DT, DE....many other more critical needs.

I'm not saying he'll definitely be there, but with 7 of the 12 teams ahead running a 34, plus most of them in need of QB help, I don't know he won't be there. Of course, this is all related to no picks being traded, which is not realistic. However, if there is no CBA in place, I think high level trades will be reduced since no players can be involved.

Just a guess. Besides, if the Lions miss out on Miller in round one, I am beginning to like the idea of them taking Mason Foster in round two. I've heard nothing but positives about him from the Senior Bowl, regardless of who is doing the reporting. Sounds to me like he would be a good player at WLB.

I, MR. Defense 1st, am starting to really like Castanzo from Boston College. He has been impressing scouts at the Senior Bowl all weak with his fluid footwork at every line position, but Center ( they haven't tried him there). Also, it's like an unwritten rule. If you are an O-lineman from BC, you will do well in the pro's. And then maybe next year, every other mock in the entire known universe won't peg us for an OT in the 1st round like they have for the last decade. LOL.

January 28th, 2011, 9:47 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I, MR. Defense 1st, am starting to really like Castanzo from Boston College. He has been impressing scouts at the Senior Bowl all weak with his fluid footwork at every line position, but Center ( they haven't tried him there). Also, it's like an unwritten rule. If you are an O-lineman from BC, you will do well in the pro's. And then maybe next year, every other mock in the entire known universe won't peg us for an OT in the 1st round like they have for the last decade. LOL.

1st off, my understanding is the Gabe Carimi has been the most impressive offensive lineman in Mobile, but Castonzo is the most consistent when playing OT. Carimi has played both tackle and guard well. Doug Watkins from Baylor has likewise been impressive, and he's probably done the most for his draft stock in Mobile amongst o-lineman.

And that unwritten rule you spoke of? Somebody better tell Gosder Cherilus that rule, because he's from BC and I don't think he's been that impressive as a pro football player, have you?

I don't think the Lions will target any offensive lineman with their current pick. Now, if they trade down, then it's a different story. The only team ahead of the Lions that might take an offensive lineman is Dallas. But word has it they are pleased with Doug Free as a left tackle, and I don't see them burning the ninth pick overall on a right tackle.

January 28th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

1st off, my understanding is the Gabe Carimi has been the most impressive offensive lineman in Mobile, but Castonzo is the most consistent when playing OT. Carimi has played both tackle and guard well. Doug Watkins from Baylor has likewise been impressive, and he's probably done the most for his draft stock in Mobile amongst o-lineman.

And that unwritten rule you spoke of? Somebody better tell Gosder Cherilus that rule, because he's from BC and I don't think he's been that impressive as a pro football player, have you?

I don't think the Lions will target any offensive lineman with their current pick. Now, if they trade down, then it's a different story. The only team ahead of the Lions that might take an offensive lineman is Dallas. But word has it they are pleased with Doug Free as a left tackle, and I don't see them burning the ninth pick overall on a right tackle.

Sirius NFL Radio has the Moving the Chains crew at Mobile all week and they will be broadcasting the Game on Saturday. Almost all the people they have interviewed have mentioned Castonzo as the most impressive O-lineman, when asked about the o-linemen. So, I don't know where everyone on Footballs Future is getting the idea that Carimi has been the most impressive. A lot of people here one of the Mega Posters say something and then they start Parroting it. Of course, I am not sure about where it is that your getting your understanding from. And I am not saying that you are parroting something you read on Footballs Future. I don't even know if you visit FF.

All I did was pass on info that I heard from NFL scouts/coaches/ and commentators.

January 28th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

P.S. Gosder has been a disappointment and serves to prove that there is an exception to almost every rule. But, that said, this last season has shown that even he may be turning it around.

January 28th, 2011, 12:34 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Sirius NFL Radio has the Moving the Chains crew at Mobile all week and they will be broadcasting the Game on Saturday. Almost all the people they have interviewed have mentioned Castonzo as the most impressive O-lineman, when asked about the o-linemen. So, I don't know where everyone on Footballs Future is getting the idea that Carimi has been the most impressive. A lot of people here one of the Mega Posters say something and then they start Parroting it. Of course, I am not sure about where it is that your getting your understanding from. And I am not saying that you are parroting something you read on Footballs Future. I don't even know if you visit FF.

All I did was pass on info that I heard from NFL scouts/coaches/ and commentators.

Most everything I have heard has been about Castonzo as well, seems like he has totally overshadowed Carimi thus far.

January 28th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Ya, Millers "lack" of coverage was what scared me away from wanting him. But since hes proven he can cover, and cover well, I am all for taking him. Im not sure what it would take to trade up if we have to, but if we do have to, im not 100% against it.

Comparing Miller and Ayers, I think Miller seems to get after the ball carrier much faster than Ayers. Seems like hes got the intensity to do so more than Ayers.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 28th, 2011, 4:58 pm
kdsberman wrote:
Ya, Millers "lack" of coverage was what scared me away from wanting him. But since hes proven he can cover, and cover well, I am all for taking him. Im not sure what it would take to trade up if we have to, but if we do have to, im not 100% against it.

Comparing Miller and Ayers, I think Miller seems to get after the ball carrier much faster than Ayers. Seems like hes got the intensity to do so more than Ayers.

If we trade up for any defensive player it better be one of the top CBs in the draft. I would rather stay put and draft Ingram, or move down with someone wanting Ingram and draft a player of value later in the draft.

January 28th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BillySims wrote:

Those guys have also been raving about Von Miller. The only reason I mentioned having to trade up to get him is because the talk on Sirius is that Miller is making a case for himself as a top-5 pick.

I'm not suggesting that the Lions should trade up but I don't think Miller will be available at #13.

January 29th, 2011, 12:44 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

I don't get my info from FF, just to answer your question. I was reading write-ups from a number of other sites. As I said, they were basically saying that Carimi was impressive because of how well he transitioned from OT to OG. He is also said to have a bit more of a nasty streak than either Castonzo or Solder. Castonzo, according to those write ups, was the most technically sound and consistent player at OT. It was also stated that Baylor's Danny Watkins looked good playing guard, moving well and picking up blocks in the open field.

If I read a number of sites, and they are all saying/seeing the same thing, I have to believe it's true. Same thing goes with Miller. On all the sites, they are talking about how well Von has done adjusting to the OLB spot in a base 43. He was decent in coverage, not great but certainly seems like he didn't embarrass himself either. I've read the same about Mason Foster, how he's so fluid and plays equally well against the run and pass. The only knock on both guys was their inconsistencies in shedding blocks. If the Lions miss out on Miller in round one, I like what I'm hearing about Foster as a possible round two selection.

I also like some of what I've read about John Moffitt. Seems like a guy who can play either guard or center, and plays very angry. Those are the kind of o-linemen I like.

January 29th, 2011, 2:26 pm
Team MVP

I really like Moffitt as well. I've seen most mocks with him going in the third round but drafttek has him in the fourth. I'm working on my own Lions draft/free agency mock that includes us selecting him in the third.

January 29th, 2011, 3:53 pm
Team MVP

Free Agents:
Cut Bryant Johnson

I would like to see us keep most of our free agents in house. We need to re-sign Houston as first priority. Corey Hilliard and Landon Johnson should be kept as backups. Bobby Carpenter should be re-signed and have a chance to take one of the OLB spots. Tender Smith and Felton. Either tender Avril or re-sign him (depends on if he’s a RFA or a FA). Keep Turk McBride as a rotational player.

Sign Stephen Tulloch. Now that Fisher is leaving TN I think landing Tulloch is much more of a possibility. If he and Schwartz had a good relationship I think he'd be a perfect fit here. Move Levy to SLB.

Draft:

1 (trade) I want us to trade down into the high teens-mid twenties and acquire another third round pick and either a 6th or 7th (to replace whichever pick we end up trading to Atl) . I'm targeting the Chargers at 18 as a team that may want to move up. We select Jimmy Smith CB Colorado. I didn't really get to see him play much but everything I do see/read has me liking this kid more and more.

2) Titus Young WR- When I first started working on this mock I had us selecting Ahmad Black (SS) at this spot. Watching Young in the Senior Bowl changed that. He does have character concerns but I think being around CJ and Schwartz would keep him in line. He would be an ideal slot guy for us and give us great speed at WR. Sure we have other needs but he would help make the O unstoppable. If we take a different player at this spot, I’d want us to sign James Jones from the Packers. Out of the FA WRs I think he'd be a decent fit at our #3 spot, plus we're taking him from a division foe.

3(a) Bruce Carter WLB- hoping he comes back from Injury strong. He may not start immediately due to recovery, but he will make an impact his first year.

3(b) John Moffitt G - Can backup at G and C and possibly take over for Peterman at RG.

4) Pernell McPhee DE- Probably going to need a year to develop, but having him learn under KVB as his eventual successor would be a great start. Should be able to step into the rotation at DE fairly early on.

I don't have ideas for the later rounds yet but it's a start. This would still leave us needing help at OT and SS.

February 7th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Speaking of trades, I was looking at the Trade Value Chart this weekend and came up with a good one. How about 13 (1150 pts) and 44 (470 pts) for 17 (950 pts) and 28 (660 pts)? That's almost dead even, but would New England do it? I think they could if they wanted Mark Ingram ahead of Miami or they had their sights on a particular DE/OLB that they were afraid the Rams or Jags would select ahead of them. Just an idea I'm tossing out there.

February 8th, 2011, 12:14 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
Speaking of trades, I was looking at the Trade Value Chart this weekend and came up with a good one. How about 13 (1150 pts) and 44 (470 pts) for 17 (950 pts) and 28 (660 pts)? That's almost dead even, but would New England do it? I think they could if they wanted Mark Ingram ahead of Miami or they had their sights on a particular DE/OLB that they were afraid the Rams or Jags would select ahead of them. Just an idea I'm tossing out there.

The Pats trade back, not forward, and often take picks in future years. I don't see them making this move but would love it cause a lot of talent will still be on the board at 28.

February 8th, 2011, 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

The Pats trade back, not forward, and often take picks in future years. I don't see them making this move but would love it cause a lot of talent will still be on the board at 28.

I dont know, I mean, the Pats traded up to get Jerod Mayo a couple years ago.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 8th, 2011, 9:58 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I dont know, I mean, the Pats traded up to get Jerod Mayo a couple years ago.

True, and the Pat's have the ammo to move up and make the trade. If there is a player they really like, much like the Mayo deal. Hope it's somebody that slides to 13.

February 8th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next