View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Hoke Named UM Coach 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Hoke Named UM Coach
thelomasbrowns wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
Quote:
Bates said Hoke and Borges are "not too proud of themselves to tweak some things," but figured Borges would stay with the West Coast style and look for a primary "bellcow" tailback to run the ball 20-25 times per game.

This makes sense, instead of having DRob run the ball 25-30 times a game lets have a bonafide tailback and let DRob run it around 10-15 times a game to keep everyone honest. Some play action and motion offense would be interesting to incorporate into the offense as well, along with some fullback/TE led runs.

Having a mobile quarterback in the WCO can definitely work--everybody will point to Vick this year, but Steve Young is another good example.

I was thinking Vick as I read the article.

January 15th, 2011, 12:25 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Looks like a good hire for DC by Hoke, hopefully they get some talent in for this guy to work with:

http://detnews.com/article/20110118/SPO ... /101180435

John Harbaugh giving some love to Hoke in the article too.

January 19th, 2011, 9:26 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

grgrundge wrote:
Looks like a good hire for DC by Hoke, hopefully they get some talent in for this guy to work with:

http://detnews.com/article/20110118/SPO ... /101180435

John Harbaugh giving some love to Hoke in the article too.

Former UofM man, leader of the mighty Ravens defense--look out OSU!

January 19th, 2011, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

Hopefully to a path of respectability...

January 19th, 2011, 10:48 am

I think it will have a big effect on recruiting too--with all of his ties to the NFL he's a good person to know.

January 19th, 2011, 11:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

Wow. I am really warming up to Hoke. I liked him once I found who he was and what he was able to do with plan B Recruits. Now our Wolverine Defense is going to take on a Ravens flavor? FLAT OUT AWESOME :!: :idea: :arrow:

This is the primary reason I wanted RR gone. Keep in mind, there are only 120 division 1 football teams.

Quote:
Mattison inherits a Michigan defense that was ranked among the nation's worst last season. The Wolverines were 110th in total defense (450.77 yards), 108th in scoring defense (35.23 points) and 112th in passing defense (261.85 yards). Michigan was last in the Big Ten in all three categories.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110118/SPO ... z1BaO9nJgv

January 20th, 2011, 10:33 am
BillySims wrote:
Wow. I am really warming up to Hoke. I liked him once I found who he was and what he was able to do with plan B Recruits. Now our Wolverine Defense is going to take on a Ravens flavor? FLAT OUT AWESOME :!: :idea: :arrow:

This is the primary reason I wanted RR gone. Keep in mind, there are only 120 division 1 football teams.

Quote:
Mattison inherits a Michigan defense that was ranked among the nation's worst last season. The Wolverines were 110th in total defense (450.77 yards), 108th in scoring defense (35.23 points) and 112th in passing defense (261.85 yards). Michigan was last in the Big Ten in all three categories.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110118/SPO ... z1BaO9nJgv

The Mattison hire was absolutely brilliant. It is what this program needed. We needed some credibility, and an NFL presence to entice players to come here - perfect. Mike Valenti called the hire "an elephant gun" for recruiting, and wishes that MSU would get someone similar for their offense. If he's jealous, I'm happy!

:idea: :cheers:

January 20th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Yeah. And I dont usually follow recruiting (Instead I focus ont he seasons themselves) , but we figured with the late hire the class would be wrecked. People on the recruiting boards were saying hoke would be lucky to end up with 14 commits, and mostly non names... just because of the short timeline.

Instead we are getting late 4* commits changing to UM, looking like we might be at 18 by this friday, and may fillo out all 20/21 scholarships by Signing day. If the finish this out right we would have gone from a su8b 50 rated recruiting class to top 20 in weeks.

Go Go Hokemania.

January 25th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

DJ-B wrote:
Yeah. And I dont usually follow recruiting (Instead I focus ont he seasons themselves) , but we figured with the late hire the class would be wrecked. People on the recruiting boards were saying hoke would be lucky to end up with 14 commits, and mostly non names... just because of the short timeline.

Instead we are getting late 4* commits changing to UM, looking like we might be at 18 by this friday, and may fillo out all 20/21 scholarships by Signing day. If the finish this out right we would have gone from a su8b 50 rated recruiting class to top 20 in weeks.

Go Go Hokemania.

Depending on which service you view, it looks like Hoke is on the verge of signing a 4* LB out of Cincinnati, a 4* LB out of Colorado, and possibly a 4* CB out of California who is rated around the 5th best player at his position in the country. If he gets the kid out of California who he was recruiting for at SDSU, I believe McClure is his name, that would be a huge catch considering the time constraints he's been under. If he gets this recruiting class in the top 25 I will be highly impressed and some of the doubts I had on his recruiting skills will diminish.

January 25th, 2011, 2:56 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'm reminded of when Gene Chizik got off the plane at Auburn and there were fans there to boo him. I hope it turns out as well for UM as it did for Auburn.

However, I was surprised that given the way the RR firing was handled (in terms of timing) that Brandon wasn't able to make a splashier hire. Nobody waits until January to replace a HC if they don't already know who they are targeting as a replacement. But that's exactly what Brandon did and he got caught with his pants down. It could end up being a solid hire but the process was screwy.

January 30th, 2011, 4:56 pm
mwill2 wrote:
I'm reminded of when Gene Chizik got off the plane at Auburn and there were fans there to boo him. I hope it turns out as well for UM as it did for Auburn.

However, I was surprised that given the way the RR firing was handled (in terms of timing) that Brandon wasn't able to make a splashier hire. Nobody waits until January to replace a HC if they don't already know who they are targeting as a replacement. But that's exactly what Brandon did and he got caught with his pants down. It could end up being a solid hire but the process was screwy.

The weird thing is the D-Coordinator hire was almost flashier than the HC hire. IMO the DC made up for any pizzaz that was lacking from the Hoke hire, and the recruits are starting to show it.

January 30th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Afghan Allstar

I think it fits. Hoke is not a "pizzaz" type of coach. He's a real no-nonsense type of guy. I think he's exactly what UM needs.

January 30th, 2011, 6:01 pm
QB Coach

Okay, I may be showing my ignorance here, but if you can't do it among friends then what's the point.

In regards to the new coach, how difficult will it be to do a turn around? I see Coach Kelly in Notre Dame building a winning program bringing in his plans and schemes and did VERY well in his first year.

With Michigan's abysmal defense how quickly could we expect a turn around with a proper coach running things? Is there any chance we won't have to go through another rebuilding process like we did with the RR diabcle?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

February 9th, 2011, 12:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

my thinkin is dont expect much from the D this year...and probably most a next. once these kids turn into Jr and Sr's though, thats when you will really see a turn around for a defense. IMO

February 9th, 2011, 1:11 pm
The defense was ranked something like 103 out of 110 NCAA schools. That's terrible. I expect them to be ranked more in the 40-50 range next year, or better. Partly because we'll be getting some DBs back from injury, but mostly due to scheme/better personnel decisions.

February 10th, 2011, 2:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next