View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Big Baby cut 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Big Baby cut
lionsfanak wrote:
I have no idea what people are drunk on as far as he goes but if ever there was a time when the Lions don't need him, it's now.

You're right, the Lions don't need Shaun Rogers, but I'll take him as part of the DT rotation ahead of Andre Fluellen or Albert Haynesworth. If Rogers is available at the right price, I wouldn't have a problem with the Lions putting him on the roster. As long as they don't instantly make him a starter, just have him as a role player, then I'd be OK with it. However, as I figured, other teams are going to pursue him strongly because of his ability to play either as a 43 DT or a 34 NT.

February 11th, 2011, 11:08 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
lionsfanak wrote:
I have no idea what people are drunk on as far as he goes but if ever there was a time when the Lions don't need him, it's now.

You're right, the Lions don't need Shaun Rogers, but I'll take him as part of the DT rotation ahead of Andre Fluellen or Albert Haynesworth. If Rogers is available at the right price, I wouldn't have a problem with the Lions putting him on the roster. As long as they don't instantly make him a starter, just have him as a role player, then I'd be OK with it. However, as I figured, other teams are going to pursue him strongly because of his ability to play either as a 43 DT or a 34 NT.

Bingo!

February 11th, 2011, 11:31 am
1st Round Pick

I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back at the right price. Shaun has always played his best when he has had a veteran defensive coordinator handling him. His Rookie Year he had Vince Tobin, His best years were under Dick Jauron, he went to Cleveland where Crennel was and did fine, he struggled under coordinators Kurt schottenheimer, Donnie Henderson, John Barry and Rob Ryan all first time coordinators. If we could get him for like 20-25 snaps a game he could be productive, plus he is terrific at blocking kicks.

February 11th, 2011, 2:31 pm
NFL Team Captain

Big Baby is talking with the Redskins. Think they will sign him and play him next to Haynesworth :shock:

February 12th, 2011, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

jomo269 wrote:
Big Baby is talking with the Redskins. Think they will sign him and play him next to Haynesworth :shock:

So half the time they'd be dominant. The other half...nonexistant. lol.

February 14th, 2011, 9:11 am
NFL Team Captain

I read a report that Big Baby is visiting the Chiefs.

February 16th, 2011, 10:07 pm
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
I read a report that Big Baby is visiting the Chiefs.

He was visiting New Orleans today.

February 16th, 2011, 10:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

It doesn't sound like Mayhew is interested:
Mlive wrote:
Detroit Lions not interested in pursuing free agent Shaun Rogers
Published: Friday, February 25, 2011, 1:00 PM Updated: Friday, February 25, 2011, 3:42 PM
By Tom Kowalski

INDIANAPOLIS -- Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said today that he's not interested in pursuing free agent defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, who was recently released by the Cleveland Browns.
Rogers had been a second-round pick of the Lions in the 2001 draft and, after becoming a Pro Bowl player, was traded to the Browns because of a rift with the organization.

"I like Shaun and I wish things had been a little different,'' Mayhew said. "I wish that when he was here, we could've worked things out and found a way to keep Shaun Rogers here. Locked ourselves in a room and talked it through and figured it all out. I wish it had gone a different way but it's a different time now. Nothing against him personally, but it's a different time for our franchise right now, we're in a different place.''

--- Auburn quarterback Cam Newton raised some eyebrows at the combine when he was quoted as saying that in addition to being a quarterback he wants to be "an entertainer and icon.''

"You can say a lot of things when you play well. When you don't, be humble,'' Mayhew said. "The one thing I learned a long time ago that you can't judge a guy by a quote - or what you read or what I guy said or what you heard he said. A prime example of that is Deion Sanders. Across the board, whether you're talking about Florida State or Atlanta Braves or Atlanta Falcons or Dallas Cowboys, anybody will tell you that he was a great teammate. A lot of people who hadn't met him early in his career didn't know that because of the quotes.''

Mayhew was asked about Zack Follett's recent comment, calling quarterback Matthew Stafford a "china doll.''

"That's the perfect example right there,'' Mayhew said. "I think the world of Zack Follett. I thought it was a poor choice of words from a good guy.''

--- By the way, the Lions will not be looking too hard at quarterbacks during the combine.

"I'm putting all my eggs in the Matthew Stafford, Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton basket on that,'' Mayhew said. "To be honest with you, I haven't evaluated a lot of these quarterbacks. When we interview our 60 guys (at the combine), we won't interview a single quarterback.''

--- On the overall strength of the draft, Mayhew said: "There are a lot of good defensive linemen and I think there's a good class of offensive linemen, too. There are some areas where there's not a whole lot of top players or blue-chip players - as of right now. That can change.''

And what about the cornerback class?

"Right now, it doesn't look too deep,'' he said.

February 26th, 2011, 7:03 pm
NFL Team Captain

Big Baby signed with the Saints. 1 year/$4mil.

March 2nd, 2011, 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2