View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 2:30 pm



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 2011 NFL Combine 
Author Message
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Combine
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what a few guys are going to look like at the Combine.

WR: Jerrel Jernigan
OT: Smith, Castonzo, Solder, Carimi
C: Stefen Wisnewski
DE: Aldon Smith
LB: Ayers, Foster, Herzlich, Nate Irving
CB: Jimmy Smith, Ras-I Dowling, Kendrick Burney
S: DeAndre McDaniels

Needless to say I like the Combine workouts and am excited to have numbers/observations to pour over for the next 62 days. Outside of Jernigan and Aldon Smith, I could see all of these guys being potential picks for the Lions in the first three rounds.



Have to disagree with you on Smith. Climbing the boards and just might fit the BPA requirement. From the film I've seen he plays pretty much a DE position, at 6-5 260 lbs, he'd probably go 270 after a couple of years of growth. Prototypical size for a 4-3 DE. If none of the top corners slide, or the top LB falls into our lap, I hope the Lions take a long hard look.


February 25th, 2011, 5:33 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
I guess so, he just seems like he'd be a little faster version of Cliff Avril. If they go DE I would rather get a guy like JJ Watt or Adrian Clayborn.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 25th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I guess so, he just seems like he'd be a little faster version of Cliff Avril. If they go DE I would rather get a guy like JJ Watt or Adrian Clayborn.



Being faster than Avril would be a plus, but he's also bigger coming in to the league and has very long arms. Avril was 6-3 250, when he was drafted, Smith being 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier to start with, if the specs on him are correct. As for Watt or Clayborn, I would have no problem with either of them as our selection, especially Watt.


February 26th, 2011, 10:20 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Combine
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I want to see Mason Foster in agility drills. I liked what I heard about him during the Senior Bowl practices. I want to see Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris doing their drills and see how they match up to each other. Davon House is another CB prospect that I like. I'd also like to see some of the mid to late round WR prospects that could be added as a third receiver. Just how well they explode out of breaks, catch the ball, etc. I am also interested in seeing just how well Justin Houston does. I'm not necessarily interested in seeing the Lions take him, but I think he's an very underrated prospect. I watched some Georgia games, and he stood out to me. I think he should be rated higher than some of the DE/OLBs that some are rating ahead of him, like Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan.

Have you ever watched Jimmy Smith play? He's pretty good and has great size at CB but he's suspect vs the run. He may be a carbon copy of Antonio Cromartie.


I have watched Jimmy Smith play, and I agree he is not strong in run support. But getting a run support, physical CB shouldn't be the Lions focus. If that's what you feel the Lions need, let's wait until round three and get Ras I-Dowling. But then again, that's what the Lions got when they selected Amari Spievey last season, and he couldn't cut the mustard at CB in the NFL. The Lions need coverage players. Smith doesn't avoid tackling, he just doesn't do it very physically. At this point I want the Lions to take a guy who excels in coverage, not excels in run support.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 26th, 2011, 11:36 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
Smith is too risky in my opinion for the Lions to take that early in the draft. I like the Cromartie comparison but for me it would be because of his lack of consistancy and not giving his top effort on a regular basis. I fear like Cromartie he might be too confident in his abilities and be comfortable just skating by on his talent. Where if he put in the time and effort to be the player he is capable of being he could be great.


February 26th, 2011, 12:00 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Combine
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I want to see Mason Foster in agility drills. I liked what I heard about him during the Senior Bowl practices. I want to see Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris doing their drills and see how they match up to each other. Davon House is another CB prospect that I like. I'd also like to see some of the mid to late round WR prospects that could be added as a third receiver. Just how well they explode out of breaks, catch the ball, etc. I am also interested in seeing just how well Justin Houston does. I'm not necessarily interested in seeing the Lions take him, but I think he's an very underrated prospect. I watched some Georgia games, and he stood out to me. I think he should be rated higher than some of the DE/OLBs that some are rating ahead of him, like Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan.

Have you ever watched Jimmy Smith play? He's pretty good and has great size at CB but he's suspect vs the run. He may be a carbon copy of Antonio Cromartie.


I have watched Jimmy Smith play, and I agree he is not strong in run support. But getting a run support, physical CB shouldn't be the Lions focus. If that's what you feel the Lions need, let's wait until round three and get Ras I-Dowling. But then again, that's what the Lions got when they selected Amari Spievey last season, and he couldn't cut the mustard at CB in the NFL. The Lions need coverage players. Smith doesn't avoid tackling, he just doesn't do it very physically. At this point I want the Lions to take a guy who excels in coverage, not excels in run support.



I believe Brandon Harris fits the bill as someone that can do both. Agree with you that " excels in coverage " should be high on the list. Think we would see our front four getting even more sacks as a result. Although I'm very interested in seeing how Dowling looks, I would not want another Spievey.


February 26th, 2011, 12:01 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3165
Location: Maryland
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
Jimmy Smith does sticks his nose in there for tackles but he seems to have trouble getting his man down by himself. He seems to be pretty good at getting to the play and at least slowing down the guy even if he doesn't bring him down. He does struggle some shedding blocks. But the main thing I like about his game is he locks down his side of the field. That's what we need here. If we take him and re-sign Houston, our secondary would be much improved. Some concerns are starting to surface about Smith in terms of off field stuff but I haven't been able to find anything that says what they are. I think I'd be willing to risk it as long as it wasn't something major. This guy is 6'2" around 200 lbs. A big corner who can stick with the big WRs in the NFL.


February 26th, 2011, 6:05 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
I was able to watch quite a bit of the Combine today at nfl.com. Just the OL and TE's worked out today, but I was able to make a few observations:

Carimi is a RT. I like the way he plays, and watching quite a few Wisconsin games, he's physical and gets good push in the run game. His footwork is pretty solid, but he was letting rushers get into his body in his pass pro. I think he's a prototypical right tackle.

Solder has "potential"- After a disappointing showing on the bench (21 reps) he really requited himself quite well in the workouts. He's a big guy with good form in his pass pro. I'm still not totally sure he's a "natural knee bender", but he does show a lot of promise in that area. My concern is that he might be too tall. How is he going to fair against the shorter speed rushers? His play in the Senior Bowl was pretty decent and he was probably the best in his group at the drills geared toward the tackles. Would he be a starter from day 1? I don't think so, but he would definitely push Jeff Backus for the LT spot right away.

Castonzo is solid. I had this guy ranked as my #1 tackle on the board coming into the Combine. Tyron Smith might push him from that spot eventually, but he was solid all around today. I don't think he's going to be Tony Boselli or anything like that, but he is a tactician with his footwork, and gets good push in the run game.

Rodney Hudson looked real good. He added about 15lbs since the end of the season and is moving up positional rankings. At this point he might be the second best guard in the draft. Mike Pouncey apparently wants to try C in the NFL, but I would rather keep him at G. Either way, Hudson made himself some money today.

A couple under the radar guys to watch: C Brandon Fusco from Slippery Rock; G James Carpenter from Alabama; G/T Derek Newton from Arkansas State.

Carpenter might not be that under the radar, but he looked good today. Fusco was solid and Newton surprised me with his footwork and speed.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 26th, 2011, 7:58 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
I agree about Castonzo. He was probably the tackle that impressed me the most today. I hate to say it, but I dont think I would be too awfully upset if we took Castonzo at 13.

I still believe Carimi can play LT, but thats just me.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 26th, 2011, 11:41 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2166
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
I just have a feeling we'll see a repeat of last year when we looked to be in good shape for a CB and than like 3 or 4 were taken in the 20s. The best value by our second rd pick might be a guy like DeAndre McDaniel or OT. Would any of you trade up into the 1st rd for a CB?

This is why I hope we make a serious run at Nnamdi Asomuogha.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


February 27th, 2011, 6:29 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
I'm sorry guys, but there's no way in hell the first OT will be taken at #13. I know that's how all the mock drafts look right now, but there's just no way some of those guys don't move up.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 27th, 2011, 8:52 am
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
Killwill25 wrote:
I just have a feeling we'll see a repeat of last year when we looked to be in good shape for a CB and than like 3 or 4 were taken in the 20s. The best value by our second rd pick might be a guy like DeAndre McDaniel or OT. Would any of you trade up into the 1st rd for a CB?

This is why I hope we make a serious run at Nnamdi Asomuogha.



As for the question of trading up for any player, I have to say emphatically " NO "

We only have 5 picks. Let the draft come to you. The best corner from last years draft was taken towards the end of the 1st round. Of this years top corners, on film, I've been the most impressed with Brandon Harris.
If there is any trading, it's gotta be backwards. We need more picks.


February 27th, 2011, 11:13 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm sorry guys, but there's no way in hell the first OT will be taken at #13. I know that's how all the mock drafts look right now, but there's just no way some of those guys don't move up.


Maybe, but if the board stays the way it is now, I can only see possibly Tennessee or Dallas going OT. Minnesota might also. But I don't know if any of these would be taking OT. That being said, if Smith, Solder and Castonzo are gone by 13 (which I highly doubt, that would mean that there would have to be some really good players dropping to the Lions to take or to use as trade bait.

I am against trading back into the first round because they would have to leverage picks from next year and that wouldn't be beneficial for a team close to being successful.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 27th, 2011, 2:05 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
Wayne Fontes wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm sorry guys, but there's no way in hell the first OT will be taken at #13. I know that's how all the mock drafts look right now, but there's just no way some of those guys don't move up.


Maybe, but if the board stays the way it is now, I can only see possibly Tennessee or Dallas going OT. Minnesota might also. But I don't know if any of these would be taking OT. That being said, if Smith, Solder and Castonzo are gone by 13 (which I highly doubt, that would mean that there would have to be some really good players dropping to the Lions to take or to use as trade bait.

I am against trading back into the first round because they would have to leverage picks from next year and that wouldn't be beneficial for a team close to being successful.


Why would Tennessee look at an offensive tackle in the first round? They have Michael Roos, and I believe he's still under contract, for their left tackle. Teams don't look to take a right tackle so high in the draft. Dallas is a strong possibility, Minnesota might because there's been rumblings that they aren't overly pleased with McKinnie and may want him to move to the right side. The only other team in the top 12 that really should be looking for a LT is Buffalo, and for now no tackle is worth the third pick. Arizona is a remote possibility as well, but I think they have more pressing needs.

Tyron Smith and Nate Solder may move up, but the fact is most everyone is looking at this draft as being top heavy with defensive line talent. That is where picks are going to be spent early in the first round. I couldn't imagine more than one tackle going ahead of the Lions pick. And it IS possible for no tackles to be taken before the Lions pick. It wouldn't be the first time there were no OL taken in the top 12 picks.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 27th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post Re: 2011 NFL Combine
The OL porspects are less than stellar this year. I hope and pray that we don't pull the trigger at 13 on an OLineman. Smith is the only one I think remotely warrants that spot, I see him as the best OL prospect and then the rest have some issues that need ironing out. I really hope that the QB's shine at the Combine, so that there is a run on them, leaving us with some Defensive talent at 13. [-o<

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


February 28th, 2011, 12:25 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.