View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 6:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vernon Gholston 
Walk On

Post Vernon Gholston
What defense did Gholston play in @ Ohio State?

March 1st, 2011, 4:08 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Vernon Gholston
Mufasa wrote:
What defense did Gholston play in @ Ohio State?

He was a 4-3 DE at OSU

March 1st, 2011, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Jet's were dumb to take a stiff 4-3 DE and move him to a 3-4 LB. Many of us clearly knew this would be a problem and brought it up at the time. If he isn't to damaged now, I really hope we give him a fresh start.

March 1st, 2011, 5:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

No thanks on Gholston.

Sirius NFL radio had a very interesting stat today. Since Gholston has been in the NFL, over 650 players have had AT LEAST half a sack. NONE OF THEM WERE NAMED VERNON GHOLSTON :!:

caps for emphasis not yelling.

March 1st, 2011, 10:08 pm
Walk On

steensn wrote:
Jet's were dumb to take a stiff 4-3 DE and move him to a 3-4 LB. Many of us clearly knew this would be a problem and brought it up at the time. If he isn't to damaged now, I really hope we give him a fresh start.

I completely agree with both your statements. Maybe we should give him a shot like Bobby Carpenter. I'm not saying it may work, but in both cases maybe it's the defenses they were drafted into. He may do well in a 4-3 defense, if he's not damaged and everyone deserves a second or third chance ask Mike Williams. No one saw that coming at Seattle and you can say because he played for his old coach, but he played for his old O.C. (Kiffin) @ Oakland and was cut midway into the season.

March 1st, 2011, 11:44 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
No thanks on Gholston.

Sirius NFL radio had a very interesting stat today. Since Gholston has been in the NFL, over 650 players have had AT LEAST half a sack. NONE OF THEM WERE NAMED VERNON GHOLSTON :!:

But the other point is, they had him out of position idiots like us could see that.

March 2nd, 2011, 10:43 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
BillySims wrote:
No thanks on Gholston.

But the other point is, they had him out of position idiots like us could see that.

The Lions have become quite the destination for younger players not playing in the right scheme/system and reclamation projects the past year or so (R. Sims, B. Carpenter, A. Smith, C. Houston, etc). Gholston fits right into that same category.

March 2nd, 2011, 10:53 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

I really like the idea of signing Gholston. It could be a great situation, either we win or it's over, just that quick.

March 2nd, 2011, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

Mufasa wrote:
steensn wrote:

I completely agree with both your statements. Maybe we should give him a shot like Bobby Carpenter. I'm not saying it may work, but in both cases maybe it's the defenses they were drafted into. He may do well in a 4-3 defense, if he's not damaged and everyone deserves a second or third chance ask Mike Williams. No one saw that coming at Seattle and you can say because he played for his old coach, but he played for his old O.C. (Kiffin) @ Oakland and was cut midway into the season.

Mike Williams worked out because somebody finally smacked the bag of Cheetos out of his hands and told him to go get a job.

I wouldn't mind the Lions signing Gholston and giving him a shot.

March 2nd, 2011, 9:04 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Couldn't hurt to inquire. Same goes for exploring Hawk, even though he had a good season. Mayhew could see Corey Williams was a better fit for the 4-3 when he stole him away from the Browns.

March 2nd, 2011, 9:40 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Was VG only a workout warrior, or did some of you guys think he had real NFL potential?

March 4th, 2011, 10:29 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Was VG only a workout warrior, or did some of you guys think he had real NFL potential?

He was productive in college and thought to be a top pick before his combine. but he also was not asked to run around the field, he was asked to get up and rush the passer. Rushing from the DE position is not the same as the LB position. VG does not have the ability to rush from the LB position let alone the rest of the LB duties. At the DE position his skillset requirements are much more focused and tailed down.

March 4th, 2011, 10:58 am
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
BillySims wrote:
No thanks on Gholston.

Yeah. But, you would think that he could have gotten at least half a sack. You stumble into a half a sack from time to time.

March 4th, 2011, 1:58 pm
RIP Killer

1) He wasn't given the playing time he seems he would get.
2) It isn't the same rushing techniques and skillsets.

March 4th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:
BillySims wrote:
No thanks on Gholston.

Yeah. But, you would think that he could have gotten at least half a sack. You stumble into a half a sack from time to time.

Especially in the defense Rex Ryan ran leaving the back four on an island and the front seven to raise havoc on the QB. You would think a sack here or there would of been had even if you are playing a scheme that doesn't suit your talents.

March 4th, 2011, 4:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next