View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 QB's 
RIP Killer

Post QB's
I know we are not drafting one...

But why is Newton considered a top prospect (hasn't shown he can be a QB) and why has Mallet dropped so far (shown he can make every throw). A QB that does more with his legs coming out of college NEVER (strong I know) works out. What gives? Do we just want versitile QB's to work so we keep giving them chances or what?

March 7th, 2011, 7:53 pm
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: QB's
Not sure why, but I sure hope that 3 or 4 of those QB's go in the top12!

March 7th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

For whatever reason, some teams fall in love with the athletic QBs like Cam Newton, even though most of them never work out. As for Ryan Mallett, he's always been a prima donna, and some teams won't touch him with a ten foot pole. BTW, I wouldn't either. He could become the next Ryan Leaf.

March 8th, 2011, 12:18 am
Water Boy

...or the next Phillip Rivers/Jay Cutler.

March 8th, 2011, 7:17 am
RIP Killer

Newton has all the athletic tools to become a great NFL quarterback. However, that means nothing if the tools can't be put to the proper use. Newton has to answer some questions regarding his true football IQ, as well as his inconsistency with his accuracy. Personally, I don't think he's all that and a bag of chips. He had a great supporting cast at Auburn, and he'll likely need that in the pros. Sounds like Vince Young all over again.

Ryan Mallett has a million dollar arm, but the kid folds like a cheap wooden chair under pressure. Also, he doesn't shoulder blame all that well (from what I've heard, nothing is ever his fault) and he doesn't have the greatest footwork in the world. His dropping stock is because of how he chose to handle the questions regarding his alleged drug use, and the fact that some reports are coming out that he wasn't well liked on his own team. That sounds like Jeff George, part two.

March 8th, 2011, 9:28 am
RIP Killer

Mallett sounds like a d-bag in his interviews. That, combined with what m2k said, is why he's dropping.

March 8th, 2011, 5:17 pm
RIP Killer

I can see Mallet's attitude dropping him, but I just have no freaking clue why anyone thinks Newton is going to get it done.

March 8th, 2011, 5:24 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I can see Mallet's attitude dropping him, but I just have no freaking clue why anyone thinks Newton is going to get it done.

Cause the dood is a stud if you don't mind a very limited (one year) body of work, no pro set experience but rather running QB in a spread offense, poor throwing mechanics, poor footwork, tendancy to overthrow on long throws, questionable vision, bad combine performance, and questionable attitude given his own statements saying he is an "Entertainer And Icon" along with the issues surrounding his recruitment at Auburn.

What's not to love??? I hope he goes in the top 5...

March 8th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Haha yea go quarterbacks, dts, and o-line. As far as Ryan Mallet being the next Phillip Rivers/Jay Cutler. That's kind of contradicting. Cutler has no heart and is overrated. Rivers played in the AFC championship game on a torn acl, continues to put up ridiculous numbers without his LT star Wr and there was a time when Legadu Nanee was his number one wide receiver.

March 8th, 2011, 8:54 pm
Afghan Allstar

ZAndrews81 wrote:
Haha yea go quarterbacks, dts, and o-line. As far as Ryan Mallet being the next Phillip Rivers/Jay Cutler. That's kind of contradicting. Cutler has no heart and is overrated. Rivers played in the AFC championship game on a torn acl, continues to put up ridiculous numbers without his LT star Wr and there was a time when Legadu Nanee was his number one wide receiver.

I have to agree with you here. I believe that Rivers is the real deal. It doesn't seem to matter who they line up at WR, he seems to put great numbers. Through like 10 games last season he was on a pace to destroy the single season yards record. Then the D started to step up and they found a semblance of a running game. I think the only thing that's holding San Diego back is their head coach. I think Norv is a great offensive coordinator(a job that he essentially still does), but a crappy head coach.

March 8th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:

Cause the dood is a stud if you don't mind a very limited (one year) body of work, no pro set experience but rather running QB in a spread offense, poor throwing mechanics, poor footwork, tendancy to overthrow on long throws, questionable vision, bad combine performance, and questionable attitude given his own statements saying he is an "Entertainer And Icon" along with the issues surrounding his recruitment at Auburn.

What's not to love??? I hope he goes in the top 5...

TOP 5? I am hoping for #1 BABY :!: :lol:

March 8th, 2011, 11:01 pm
RIP Killer

Same thing is going to happen with Pryor next year too as long as he can continue success after his suspension. He should not be a first round QB but he'll get drafted there based on potential never realized.

March 8th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

He'll go early because no one wants to pass on the next Michael Vick. He'll go late because of the question marks. Bottom line is it's all about the money. Hyped QB's sell seats. Even if you lose and fill your stadium, the owners will be content. The fans and players want to win. Ownership is looking at their bottom line first, success after that. Millen lost for years before the profits sank for consecutive years. Then and only then did he get replaced. Winning only matters when its the only thing that will bring a profit.

March 9th, 2011, 2:55 am
Water Boy

ZAndrews81 wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I agree with you. What I meant is that (if I remember correctly) both Cutler and Rivers had question marks about their character, as well. However, they have both turned out to be very productive QBs. Although, from what I hear Mallett's "red flags" are a lot more concerning than what Cutler's and Rivers' were.

March 9th, 2011, 7:35 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
He'll go early because no one wants to pass on the next Michael Vick. He'll go late because of the question marks. Bottom line is it's all about the money. Hyped QB's sell seats. Even if you lose and fill your stadium, the owners will be content. The fans and players want to win. Ownership is looking at their bottom line first, success after that. Millen lost for years before the profits sank for consecutive years. Then and only then did he get replaced. Winning only matters when its the only thing that will bring a profit.

Before this year that wasn't such a positive thing, on or off the field. Vick was NOT working out in Atlanta... took some major problems to mature him.

March 9th, 2011, 10:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next