View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Patrick Peterson 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Patrick Peterson
I would be all for moving up to get peterson if the opportunity presented itself. i probably wouldnt give up a 1st and 2nd, but maybe try to use our 1st and some future draft picks to get it done. i wouldnt trade up for prince i think there is a small chance he slips thru the cracks and makes it to 13 then i sit there and wait. but if i could get peterson i would close the deal only if it involved our 1st and some future picks. i also wouldnt mind if they were to trade up for von miller using the same package of picks. i wasnt all that big on him before but i think he could be one hell of a player. i just dont think we can afford to give up 2 picks from this years draft.

March 22nd, 2011, 2:08 am
RIP Killer

vankman79 wrote:
I would be all for moving up to get peterson if the opportunity presented itself. i probably wouldnt give up a 1st and 2nd, but maybe try to use our 1st and some future draft picks to get it done. i wouldnt trade up for prince i think there is a small chance he slips thru the cracks and makes it to 13 then i sit there and wait. but if i could get peterson i would close the deal only if it involved our 1st and some future picks. i also wouldnt mind if they were to trade up for von miller using the same package of picks. i wasnt all that big on him before but i think he could be one hell of a player. i just dont think we can afford to give up 2 picks from this years draft.

Peterson is going to be a top five pick. I've seen some mocks that have him slipping down to 7th, but that's not likely to happen. He has established himself as the best prospect not playing QB in this draft. If Carolina didn't have QB problems, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them take Peterson first overall, particularly if a rookie wage scale is established that significantly reduces pay to the first pick overall.

All that said, for the Lions to move from 13 to say 5 (Arizona) they'd have to give up more than just a second round pick this year, I think. And I'm not going strictly by the trade chart, because we all know that's subjective. I'm talking about other teams ahead of the Lions that would be offering deals that the Lions would have to top. In the end, if the Lions are dead set on trading up and offer only future picks, say good bye to next years first round pick, and then probably another pick around the fourth round. Personally, I don't think Peterson is worth that much. As Deion said, cornerbacks are easily neutralized by throwing to the other side of the field. That's why they don't get picked first overall, even when they are considered the best prospect in that particular draft. I'd prefer to see the Lions let the draft come to them, and either go BPA or trade down. I think Davon House or Curtis Brown in the second round will be much better values.

March 22nd, 2011, 8:49 am
Div 1 - Starter

i really dont think there is a chance that he falls too far down the board. but if he did fall to 6th or beyond then i wouldnt have a problem if they went and traded up to get him. imo the biggest need the lions have is cb. we cant keep putting these nobodies out there and expect them to hold down offenses at the end of games. how many games would we have won this year if the dbs could have stopped late game charges that opposing qbs led. no matter how you look at it we need to make vast improvements in our defensive backfield. the best way to do that is thru the draft. i have seen peterson get burned on some occasions but so has prince. peterson however is by far the better athlete. now i wouldnt figure that in order to trade up we would have to give up our first rounder next year. if we had to give up the 13th pick overall and like a second and a late rounder in next years draft, i would be fine with that.

i also wouldnt mind if they traded up to grab von miller either. i know i was set against it before but i think he could be pretty good in any situation after seeing that he can play in a 4-3 scheme. now if peterson, miller and amukamara are all off the board at 13 im sticking with my original call that the lions will take mark ingram. call me crazy, call me what you will, but you heard it from me first. he is one of them guys that you just turn on the game film and fall in love with. he is the complete package. put him in the backfield and play best in more of a percy harvin slot role and they strengthen 2 positions with 1 pick

March 22nd, 2011, 11:36 pm
Team MVP

Lots and lots of opinions, but mine is this: DEFENSE!!!!!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 23rd, 2011, 1:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Raiola for Peterson straight up. Get it done Mayhew

March 24th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

While I would much prefer to trade down (and have thought up tons of scenarios), I see one situation where the Lions may trade up. What if Prince makes it past Dallas and Julio Jones is gone? Would the Redskins be in favor of dropping back three spots? I can't see Prince making it past Houston at #11, so it could be a good opportunity for the Lions. Looking at the trade value chart, the Lions could give up their 3rd and get a 5th back from Washington in the deal. Since the Skins don't have a 3rd or a 4th, but have several later picks, they might bite. Just something to think about.

April 5th, 2011, 9:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
While I would much prefer to trade down (and have thought up tons of scenarios), I see one situation where the Lions may trade up. What if Prince makes it past Dallas and Julio Jones is gone? Would the Redskins be in favor of dropping back three spots? I can't see Prince making it past Houston at #11, so it could be a good opportunity for the Lions. Looking at the trade value chart, the Lions could give up their 3rd and get a 5th back from Washington in the deal. Since the Skins don't have a 3rd or a 4th, but have several later picks, they might bite. Just something to think about.

And our 4th round is close enough that we could trade it to move into the bottom of the 3rd round to get a Linebacker by throwing in another pick. I don't see any team landing more than 3 starters out this draft. So, I would do it if it meant we get Prince and 2 LB's. Then we can fix the O-line next year and hope there are better OT options next year.

April 5th, 2011, 10:06 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

slybri19 wrote:

I have thought of a few interesting trade scenarios as well sly. All of mine involve going backwards though. More than once would be my preference. My favorite is 13 and 44, for 17 and 28. I like your Lions and Skins proposal. Small move without significant cost to acquire a position of need, if the Lions are high on him. Maybe, you should have started a new thread called " draft day trades "

April 6th, 2011, 1:08 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:

Somehow I don't think Washington would take that trade, mostly because I think if Amukamara is on the board and Jones is gone, they'd want Amukamara. Carlos Rogers is set to be a free agent, and word is that the Redskins won't re-sign him. They'll need someone to take his place. The other possibility is that they may want to stand pat and secure a player like Cameron Jordan to play DE in their 34. He could be gone to either Houston or Minnesota if they move back.

April 7th, 2011, 12:53 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

There is no way the Lions trade up, they don't have the picks and it goes completely against Mayhew/Schwartz draft philosophy.

Ideal situation is that they get Amukamara to fall to them and then get OLB Bruce Carter in the 2nd (the more i research him the more I think we absolutly need him).

Peterson is not worth 2 starters and that is what you would have to give up to get him.

April 7th, 2011, 9:36 pm
RIP Killer

Meechigan89 wrote:
There is no way the Lions trade up, they don't have the picks and it goes completely against Mayhew/Schwartz draft philosophy.

I'd like to know where you came up with this assumption? How did we get Jahvid Best last draft? Oh that's right....we traded UP to get him.

As for our other first round picks under Mayhew/Schwartz.....well, we had a first overall, a 20th overall, and a second overall.....we didn't trade up or back with ANY of them. Quite impossible to trade up from first or even second pick.

Meechigan89 wrote:
Ideal situation is that they get Amukamara to fall to them and then get OLB Bruce Carter in the 2nd (the more i research him the more I think we absolutly need him).

Peterson is not worth 2 starters and that is what you would have to give up to get him.

I agree that Peterson is not worth a first and second rounder...besides which I don't think our need at the position outweighs needs at other positions by that much of a factor. If Amukamara doesn't fall to us, we make do. If that means making a run at Asomugha, then so be it.

Bruce Carter in the second round would be too soon. He destroyed his knee, and it had to be entirely rebuilt. Chances are that he'll not be the same player he was prior to the injury. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd have given Von Miller a run for his money as first LB off the board. But that's quite a risk at #44 for a guy that may never fully recover his form.

April 7th, 2011, 10:27 pm
RIP Killer

I'm so torn on Carter...

April 8th, 2011, 10:23 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I'm so torn on Carter...

He is a tough one for us fans, but for the Lions it comes down to where you have him ranked and the evaluation of the medical staff. If they say he will fully recover, well this just might be the year to take a chance on someone like that given the season might not happen or could happen late giving him even more time to recover.

April 8th, 2011, 10:35 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It'd help if I knew one dang thing about most of these injuries. There is no doubt the Lions and most other teams are getting the best medical advice from their team doctors...

April 8th, 2011, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
I'm so torn on Carter...

He is a tough one for us fans, but for the Lions it comes down to where you have him ranked and the evaluation of the medical staff. If they say he will fully recover, well this just might be the year to take a chance on someone like that given the season might not happen or could happen late giving him even more time to recover.

You bring up an interesting point about the possibility of the season not happening, and how the Lions could obviously benefit from that if they take Carter and he's given that time to heal.

My issue is that if a season does happen, then what have the Lions gotten out of their second round pick? I don't want them to rush him onto the field. I'd prefer to get someone we know is capable of playing right now, and hopefully into the future. I know that the final medical evaluations are being done in Indy regarding those athletes invited to the Combines who has some question marks, like Bowers. Perhaps we'll get some news leaked out regarding Carter's recovery.

I'd love to get Carter on this team, he'd be awesome if he's healthy. But that's still a big "if".

April 8th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next