View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us.
I am to the point of accepting an OT in the 1st round just so all those jack wagons will shut the heck up. And maybe for the next decade we will be able to attend to our defense in the 1st round. Since the offense first crowd has had their way, to a pretty pathetic track record, for the last decade with only 2 exceptions. ( Sims and Suh)

If we go OT in the 1st round,

we could probably get Curtis Brown, CB, Texas @# 44

And if we are lucky, either Carter or Foster will be there for us ion the 3rd round.

In any case, this had darn well better be the last year for the next decade that we go offense first. But, I know it won't be. Next year the Jack wagons will find another offensive position to harp on. They just won't ever be satisfied no matter how much we ignore our defense. If we would have used just half of our 1st round picks on defense over the last decade, we would have never gone 0-16.

But, offense is king. So, we must appease the crowd that wants all offense and the heck with the defense.

Rant Off.

March 29th, 2011, 10:07 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us.
Lets assume we do go OT (and lets hope not), lets hear everyone's choice...

Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
Tyron Smith, USC
Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Nate Solder, Colorado

March 29th, 2011, 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

Tyron Smith, USC
Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Nate Solder, Colorado

I would take Carimi because he is the shiniest turd available. And versatile too.

March 29th, 2011, 11:06 am
RIP Killer

I don't hate the OT idea, but it seems that this isn't the year to nab one.

March 29th, 2011, 11:07 am
Div 1 - Starter

Pablo wrote:

Tyron Smith, USC
Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Nate Solder, Colorado

If we had to choose 1 then i would take Tyron Smith

March 29th, 2011, 12:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

IF I had to choose one.. Carimi. I am with steen though, I don't think this is the year to take an OT.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 29th, 2011, 1:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

LionsFan4Life wrote:
IF I had to choose one.. Carimi. I am with steen though, I don't think this is the year to take an OT.

Me either. That is why I am so sick of all the mocks that force an OT on us. I am perfectly fine with taking my chances on an OT next year. But, our defense must be fixed this year. Even if we need to pass on our pick at #13 and slide down a few spots to get a CB.

I think we need to go:

1. CB
2. OLB
3. OLB
4 and beyond BPA/OL Depth.

I do not believe we are going to get a Free Agency period this year due to both sides trying to destroy each other. The only hope for there being free agency this year is if the Judge rules in favor of the players and ends the owners lock out. I am not sure that I want that to happen though. I am leaning in the owners direction in this whole mess. But, I have bounced back and forth a couple of times.

So, without counting on a free agency period, we need to do the above.

March 29th, 2011, 2:03 pm
RIP Killer

Billy, with all due respect that kind of thinking is short term and a recipe for disaster. You are so focused on defense, you are eliminating value from the equation, depth of certain positions (meaning you can get one from later in the draft), impending FA, and what the team looks like a year or two out given contract situations/FA, age, etc.

This is exactly what the great teams do NOT do. The Lions are not a SB contending team next year. Imagine if we went with your strategy last year, we certainly would have passed on Suh since we had Hill as a 2nd year DT, picked up C. Williams in a trade, etc.

I also don't get defense over offense, our offense ranked 15th in points and 17th in yards - that could still be much improved. (BTW - the defense ranked 19th in pts, 21 in yds - not that much worse).

This team needs to add talent, especially in the first round. Best value is likely going to be at DE and give us a chance to improve on this teams strength. It could also be at WR or RB, something I'm not opposed to if they go BPA. They can address major holes later in the draft or in FA.

I agree to some degree to what you seem to identify as the biggest holes, but you don't go into a draft determined to fit each one eactly in that same order as your draft picks...

March 29th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
Billy, with all due respect that kind of thinking is short term and a recipe for disaster. You are so focused on defense, you are eliminating value from the equation, depth of certain positions (meaning you can get one from later in the draft), impending FA, and what the team looks like a year or two out given contract situations/FA, age, etc.

This is exactly what the great teams do NOT do. The Lions are not a SB contending team next year. Imagine if we went with your strategy last year, we certainly would have passed on Suh since we had Hill as a 2nd year DT, picked up C. Williams in a trade, etc.

I also don't get defense over offense, our offense ranked 15th in points and 17th in yards - that could still be much improved. (BTW - the defense ranked 19th in pts, 21 in yds - not that much worse).

This team needs to add talent, especially in the first round. Best value is likely going to be at DE and give us a chance to improve on this teams strength. It could also be at WR or RB, something I'm not opposed to if they go BPA. They can address major holes later in the draft or in FA.

I agree to some degree to what you seem to identify as the biggest holes, but you don't go into a draft determined to fit each one eactly in that same order as your draft picks...

In a normal year, I would agree with you. But, we can't count on FA to fill holes. We have got to get 2 OLB's in the draft. And I see nothing but polished turds in the OT class. I also don't see there being a problem getting trade partners to trade down a couple spots at a time until we land at a good spot for a CB in the 1st round. There will be teams willing to move up to get DE's/DT's/WR/biting on an OT. I don't even care about getting great value from the trade(s). Anything we get would be bonus and could be used to trade up in other rounds or traded for future picks.

March 29th, 2011, 2:38 pm

The OTs are rising and Prince is falling. All of this talk of us drafting an OT could be moot because the earlier mocks didn't have an OT in the top 10. I heard a scout on Killer's show saying two tackles could come off the board in the Top 10. If that's the case, there's no way we take an OT.

March 29th, 2011, 2:46 pm

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

In a normal year, I would agree with you. But, we can't count on FA to fill holes. We have got to get 2 OLB's in the draft. And I see nothing but polished turds in the OT class. I also don't see there being a problem getting trade partners to trade down a couple spots at a time until we land at a good spot for a CB in the 1st round. There will be teams willing to move up to get DE's/DT's/WR/biting on an OT. I don't even care about getting great value from the trade(s). Anything we get would be bonus and could be used to trade up in other rounds or traded for future picks.

What makes you so sure that rookies drafted in the second or later without the benefit of OTAs and training camp are going to be an upgrade over Palmer, Johnson, or Carpenter? I think Pablo has the right idea.

March 29th, 2011, 2:49 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think Pablo has the right idea.

Uh oh, I'm starting to worry about you now!

March 29th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think Pablo has the right idea.

Uh oh, I'm starting to worry about you now!

GASP :!: :shock:

March 29th, 2011, 3:30 pm
Team MVP

Carimi in a heart beat.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 29th, 2011, 9:07 pm
NFL Team Captain

I would say Tyron Smith, or if by some miracle they could trade back I would consider Pouncey.

I saw a mock the other day that us taking:

1. R. Quinn - DE
2. B. Carter - OLB
3. Titus Young - WR

I could live with that.

March 29th, 2011, 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next