View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hypocrisy of the NCAA 
RIP Killer

Post Hypocrisy of the NCAA
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... ers-032911

Great article... forget any details to current issues... it was an issue before and it will be again.

March 29th, 2011, 4:05 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Hypocrisy of the NCAA
steensn wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/ncaa-amateur-concept-is-a-sham-that-exploits-players-032911

Great article... forget any details to current issues... it was an issue before and it will be again.

I don't have any issue with college athletes not getting paid... NONE! Do they work hard, sure, but so do the rest of us who work through school to pay for it and end up leaving with a pile of student debt.

These athletes have an opportunity to leave school with an education and no debt. Must be nice. Why? Because they were born with abilities the rest of us can only dream of...

Want to pay them? How much? Where does it stop, at mens basketball, womens basketball, volleyball, field hockey???

Seriously? These kids are in college, not the real world yet. It is a perfect system, hell no. Want to make it more imperfect - then start paying them and see what that leads to. Better think about all the unintended consequences before you embark down that deep dark path.

As the writer points out, we need to figure out a "way to financially compensate the football and basketball players who generate the cash." Umm, duh - already did - it's called a full ride. Think I'm going to be crying if my kids go to college on a full scholarship and I have to find another way to spend their 549 Plan money that I started saving for before each turned six months old.

Is someone else getting rich off of them? Sure thing, good life lesson to because I bet someone is getting rich off of each and every one of you working for someone else...

March 29th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He's also correct when he says this:

Quote:
Room, board, books and tuition are no longer remotely a fair exchange when coaches and administrators earn lifetime financial security every one to four years.

I'm not saying pay the kids millions of dollars, but the nitpicking of profiting at all from their hard work is silly. Let the Universities only give them tuition and nothing more, but let the kids get something for their hard work outside of that.

March 29th, 2011, 4:33 pm
QB Coach

I think college athletes should be paid if for no other reason than the fact that their bodies get really badly beat up. My dad was a college athlete, and I have a whole bunch of friends who were in several different sports, and every single one of them has at least 1 physical problem from playing sports that whole time. That, combined with the fact that the school makes a fortune off the athletes is why I think they should be paid.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 29th, 2011, 7:01 pm
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I think college athletes should be paid if for no other reason than the fact that their bodies get really badly beat up. My dad was a college athlete, and I have a whole bunch of friends who were in several different sports, and every single one of them has at least 1 physical problem from playing sports that whole time. That, combined with the fact that the school makes a fortune off the athletes is why I think they should be paid.

I'm sorry but your dad and his friends chose to play those sports and did get paid in the form of a education (BTW - room, board, books, etc can run $50K or more at some schools today, not a bad "salary" for someone who doesn't have a degree yet). Again, think of what consequences will result if you start paying college athletes. You know what, I've played sports my whole life as well and there were consequences to my choices - I'm fine with that and don't expect anyone else to pay for that.

Want kids choosing schools based on how much they are willing to pay?
Do you also pay kids that play tennis and run track? Do you only pay the sports making money? How much is it going to cost when the women basketball players sue to get paid like the men?
Does paying them help eliminate future medical problems?
Are the schools then liable for these medical problems as they arise in the future?
Think about an 18 year old kid with all this cash, how is that going to impact their focus on studies?
If the kids are already getting paid, how much harder will it be to tell how much they are paid under the table?
And if you are going to pay college kids, well then you might as well just start a union to represent them collectively!

I could go on and on, this opens a can of worms that you better be prepared to have crawling all over the place.

March 29th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It absolutaly open up a can of worms! But the worms are on both sides. I'm sure there is a solution that can do both.

March 30th, 2011, 9:48 am
QB Coach

Pablo wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

I'm sorry but your dad and his friends chose to play those sports and did get paid in the form of a education (BTW - room, board, books, etc can run $50K or more at some schools today, not a bad "salary" for someone who doesn't have a degree yet). Again, think of what consequences will result if you start paying college athletes. You know what, I've played sports my whole life as well and there were consequences to my choices - I'm fine with that and don't expect anyone else to pay for that.

Do you also pay kids that play tennis and run track? Do you only pay the sports making money? How much is it going to cost when the women basketball players sue to get paid like the men?
Are the schools then liable for these medical problems as they arise in the future?
Think about an 18 year old kid with all this cash, how is that going to impact their focus on studies?
If the kids are already getting paid, how much harder will it be to tell how much they are paid under the table?
And if you are going to pay college kids, well then you might as well just start a union to represent them collectively!

I could go on and on, this opens a can of worms that you better be prepared to have crawling all over the place.

My thoughts are to pay them a percentage of the revenue the schools get from selling jerseys, banners, t-shirts, etc. that the kids are a part of . For example, when the Fab 5 was at Michigan, UM's sales from basketball gear went up 10 fold. The school made a fortune from this, but the kids got none of it. It won't balance equally among sports, but I think this is the most fair way to monetize what the kids bring in to the school.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 30th, 2011, 10:25 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

My thoughts are to pay them a percentage of the revenue the schools get from selling jerseys, banners, t-shirts, etc. that the kids are a part of . For example, when the Fab 5 was at Michigan, UM's sales from basketball gear went up 10 fold. The school made a fortune from this, but the kids got none of it. It won't balance equally among sports, but I think this is the most fair way to monetize what the kids bring in to the school.

Then you have kids choosing where to go to school based on what makes them the most money. And, do you do this for all sports, or just for men's basketball, and football? The women's sport advocates won't be happy about it, or the disproportionate amount of money that will inevitably go toward men's sports.

March 30th, 2011, 11:54 am
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Then you have kids choosing where to go to school based on what makes them the most money. And, do you do this for all sports, or just for men's basketball, and football? The women's sport advocates won't be happy about it, or the disproportionate amount of money that will inevitably go toward men's sports.

You really think people don't already do this? Th elite athletes are already choosing schools based on which ones they think give them the best shot to go pro (i.e. which ones are going to get them the most money).

The only athletes that are really bringing money into the schools are the elite athletes. Everyone else is either breaking even or not bringing in anything. That's the business side of it, and if a player is bringing a lot of money into the school, they should see some of the benefits. It's like any other business. If you do exceptionally well and you bring a lot of money into your company, you get rewarded (pay increases, bonuses, etc). Likewise, if you don't bring money into your company, you shouldn't get more pay or bonuses. Simple.

March 30th, 2011, 12:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
He's also correct when he says this:

Quote:
Room, board, books and tuition are no longer remotely a fair exchange when coaches and administrators earn lifetime financial security every one to four years.

I'm not saying pay the kids millions of dollars, but the nitpicking of profiting at all from their hard work is silly. Let the Universities only give them tuition and nothing more, but let the kids get something for their hard work outside of that.

I'm with Pablo on this one. But, I would not object if the NCAA would let the colleges to set up tabs at local diners/ movie theaters/ ect.
So that players that come from poor families can go out to eat a few times each week rather than having to eat at the campus cafeteria all the time. And being able to take a girlfriend with them for diner and a movie would not be asking too much I think.

Of course I would make certain the only ones getting that would be the financially needy. Which, I admit is probably most student athletes.

March 30th, 2011, 6:49 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not really worried too much about the kids who's families are making enough to get by, I actually only care in the situations where the kids are going off, getting a good education, making the university tons of money, while the families who raised these kids and did what they could to get them to the university still lives in poverty (at least when the boosters aren't giving them $$$ ;) )

What if we did this, maybe the kickback can be based on the income of the parent(s)? Maybe we can for at least a few year improve the quality of the families lives by allowing the university to give X amount back to the families at a % based on the tax info.

March 30th, 2011, 7:30 pm
RIP Killer

NCAA Pres is interested in options:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... four_N.htm

Actually some VERY good discussion in it.

March 30th, 2011, 9:41 pm
Junior Varsity

Can't we just let them sell some of the stuff they got for free and make money off of that? Or let them use luxury loaner cars? I'd guess the coaches of some programs--only the good, honest ones, of course--might be able to get on board with that. :lol:

March 31st, 2011, 1:35 am
Modmin Dude

Each one of these students has the ability to apply for a Pell Grant - which of course does NOT have to be paid back - each year (or is it semester?) and they can use this $$$ for whatever they want. I doubt that it would be difficult for these apps to be approved IF the students and their families actually are in need of assistance. I know that I qualified for one many, many moons ago when I graduated HS.

These are KIDS and AMATEURS and as such should never be paid. For those that are in the "pay em" camp, how are you going to handle these issues when they arise (and they WILL arise)?
    Students don't have enough $$, want to be paid MORE
    Ensure that Title 9 is lawfully honored and pay ALL student-atheletes (men & women equally)
    Once people are being paid for their services, they are basically owned by the source of income

March 31st, 2011, 1:50 pm
RIP Killer

Once the student hits so much financial aid because of the school cost they can no longer get a pell grant. The full ride pretty much screws them of that. I'm suggesting what you are saying and just calling extending it to the student athletes only based on parent's income on top of the full ride.

March 31st, 2011, 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next