View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 12:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us. 
RIP Killer

Post Re: I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us.
for you Billy

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/29/kirwan- ... -in-an-ot/

Quote:
Even though the Lions have the fewest picks in the draft after losing their seventh round selection as punishment for tampering with the Chiefs, NFL.com expert analyst Pat Kirwan took the time to make one Motor City fan’s day during his weekly chat when he dreamed up the perfect draft scenario for Detroit’s limited picks.

“It would include resolving the following positions: CB, LT, OLB, S, RB,” said Kirwan of the Lions’ needs.

Kirwan then broke down how to go about filling those needs with some names to consider:

Nate Solder, 10-year starter at LT for pick 13
Come back and get CB Aaron Williams of Texas at pick 44
At pick 75, Bruce Carter, LB from North Carolina who’s a terrific player coming off a knee injury
At pick 106, grab a safety like Jaiquawn Jarrett from Temple
Finish up at 151 with a RB like Roy Helu from Nebraska
But the good news for Lions fans is that actually landing the above list might not be that far-fetched.

“That’s not a full-blown dream,” said Kirwin. “They might be realistic targets.”

Kirwan also took the time to address a different fan’s concern that their 2009 No. 1 pick, QB Matthew Stafford, might just be a “China Doll,” to which Kirwan disagreed.

“Go see the history of Phil Simms,” said Kirwan. “He had plenty of injuries early in his career and people thought he was too injury prone. That’s not how it played out for him.”

Kirwan went on to say that instead of concentrating on drafting a different QB, they should focus their efforts on investing in an offensive lineman to protect him.

“Jeff Backus played OK last year, but an investment in an OT who can start 10 years is the right thing to do,” said Kirwan.

March 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I would rather spend that 4th pick on another CB or slot WR rather than the Safety since I think Speivey made some strides back there and he is only a rookie. I don't know why but I still like Randy Phillips' potential too.

March 30th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Killwill25 wrote:
I would rather spend that 4th pick on another CB or slot WR rather than the Safety since I think Speivey made some strides back there and he is only a rookie. I don't know why but I still like Randy Phillips' potential too.

I'm with you KillWill and also.. didn't we pick up Erik Coleman too?

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

Yes, we picked up Erik Coleman, still have Randy Phillips, and I agree that Spievey made strides last year.

Pat Kirwan is a fool. Nate Solder is not worth the 13th pick, and is probably the third best LT in this draft. I'd be PISSED if the Lions took him. Just because he has good athletic skills for a guy that stands 6'8", doesn't mean he has the best athletic skills at that position. Besides which Backus did more than just "play OK" last season.

What a douchebag Kirwan is. Never liked him much.

March 30th, 2011, 3:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
for you Billy

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/29/kirwan- ... -in-an-ot/

Quote:
Even though the Lions have the fewest picks in the draft after losing their seventh round selection as punishment for tampering with the Chiefs, NFL.com expert analyst Pat Kirwan took the time to make one Motor City fan’s day during his weekly chat when he dreamed up the perfect draft scenario for Detroit’s limited picks.

“It would include resolving the following positions: CB, LT, OLB, S, RB,” said Kirwan of the Lions’ needs.

Kirwan then broke down how to go about filling those needs with some names to consider:

Nate Solder, 10-year starter at LT for pick 13
Come back and get CB Aaron Williams of Texas at pick 44
At pick 75, Bruce Carter, LB from North Carolina who’s a terrific player coming off a knee injury
At pick 106, grab a safety like Jaiquawn Jarrett from Temple
Finish up at 151 with a RB like Roy Helu from Nebraska
But the good news for Lions fans is that actually landing the above list might not be that far-fetched.

“That’s not a full-blown dream,” said Kirwin. “They might be realistic targets.”

Kirwan also took the time to address a different fan’s concern that their 2009 No. 1 pick, QB Matthew Stafford, might just be a “China Doll,” to which Kirwan disagreed.

“Go see the history of Phil Simms,” said Kirwan. “He had plenty of injuries early in his career and people thought he was too injury prone. That’s not how it played out for him.”

Kirwan went on to say that instead of concentrating on drafting a different QB, they should focus their efforts on investing in an offensive lineman to protect him.

“Jeff Backus played OK last year, but an investment in an OT who can start 10 years is the right thing to do,” said Kirwan.

Yeah, well, I have really soured on Kirwan in the last year. Since the day that Tim Ryan took off and they had Zig Fercossey(SP?) fill in. Pat made a comment and Zig started to add to it and Pat immediately told Zig to shut up! Pat made another comment and Zig went to add to it, and Pat told him to Shut up! Poor Zig was left to just sit there and listen to Pat talk for 3 hours. It was incredibly rude and uncalled for on Pat's part. That proved to me how much of a butt hole Pat is.

And then last Friday. Tim and Pat are doing mock drafts every Friday leading up to the real draft.
Well, Detroit was on the clock and Pat had Detroit's pick. Prince Amakumara was still on the board for us. Pat pretty much said that he doesn't care that Prince is there for us. He is going to stick us with an OT even though it is not an immediate need. Of course my semi truck started swerving all over the road at that moment because I was screaming at the radio, "YOU FRIGGIN JACK WAGON ! THAT'S EXACTLY WHY YOU ARE A FORMER GM :!: ", and jumping up and down on my drivers seat. LOL. Poor guy next to me thought he was about to die. LOL.

long story short. Kirwan has, as a result, lost all credibility with me.

Last edited by BillySims on March 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 30th, 2011, 8:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

LionsFan4Life wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I'm with you KillWill and also.. didn't we pick up Erik Coleman too?

Not to mention that I would prefer Curtis Brown over Williams at CB because Williams will probably be moved to Safety in the pros.

March 30th, 2011, 8:15 pm
Water Boy

I keep hearing how this crop of OTs are solid prospects but not spectacular. Most of them don't have what it takes to play the left side. I'm far from an expert but that's what I hear.

In 2001 we grabbed a solid but unspectacular tackle and have been complaining about it ever since. I don't think I can handle another 10 years of it. If we draft any of these tackles the "experts" will be pegging us for another LT in 2014.

What does the 2012 class of OT's look like?

April 1st, 2011, 5:07 pm
RIP Killer

TCinGR wrote:
I keep hearing how this crop of OTs are solid prospects but not spectacular. Most of them don't have what it takes to play the left side. I'm far from an expert but that's what I hear.

In 2001 we grabbed a solid but unspectacular tackle and have been complaining about it ever since. I don't think I can handle another 10 years of it. If we draft any of these tackles the "experts" will be pegging us for another LT in 2014.

What does the 2012 class of OT's look like?

The 2012 crop of OTs, RIGHT NOW, doesn't look great. However, there are always those players who emerge and come on strong during the season.

And folks outside of Detroit just write off Jason Fox because he was a fourth round pick. He was still not 100% last year after his knee surgery, and I am hoping with a healthy camp and the opportunity to add strength and bulk he is the guy for our future. He and Corey Hilliard are good players who can step in. They may not be All Pro material, but certainly they can do the job.

The guy that I think won't be good, but some analysts think the world of, is Nate Solder. I just don't get it. I see a lack of upper body strength, and guy who bends at the waist, not at the knees, a so-so kick out, and his arms aren't tremendously long. He moves his feet fairly well, but he just isn't that great of a technician. At 6'8", I think a shorter DE will work him over by getting under his pads and gain leverage at will. Get him moving backwards and he doesn't have the low center of gravity to adjust himself on the fly. And I just don't see a mean streak.....competitive, maybe, but not nasty.

April 1st, 2011, 7:53 pm
RIP Killer

The Solder hype baffles me as well. I guess they are projecting him to get a hell of a lot stronger once he gets to the pros. IMO scouts tend to overrate OT's that are former TE's thinking how "athletic" they must be - remember how Jason Smith went #2 overall a couple of years back (pretty high for a RT averaging 10 starts a year)...

April 1st, 2011, 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

BillySims wrote:
I am to the point of accepting an OT in the 1st round just so all those jack wagons will shut the heck up. And maybe for the next decade we will be able to attend to our defense in the 1st round. Since the offense first crowd has had their way, to a pretty pathetic track record, for the last decade with only 2 exceptions. ( Sims and Suh)

If we go OT in the 1st round,

we could probably get Curtis Brown, CB, Texas @# 44

And if we are lucky, either Carter or Foster will be there for us ion the 3rd round.

In any case, this had darn well better be the last year for the next decade that we go offense first. But, I know it won't be. Next year the Jack wagons will find another offensive position to harp on. They just won't ever be satisfied no matter how much we ignore our defense. If we would have used just half of our 1st round picks on defense over the last decade, we would have never gone 0-16.

But, offense is king. So, we must appease the crowd that wants all offense and the heck with the defense.

Rant Off.

are u a member of footballs future i saw this same thread there? if so whats ur screen name? never mind saw its the same name lol nice to see a fellow member on there too

April 3rd, 2011, 2:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

dmudd wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I am to the point of accepting an OT in the 1st round just so all those jack wagons will shut the heck up. And maybe for the next decade we will be able to attend to our defense in the 1st round. Since the offense first crowd has had their way, to a pretty pathetic track record, for the last decade with only 2 exceptions. ( Sims and Suh)

If we go OT in the 1st round,

we could probably get Curtis Brown, CB, Texas @# 44

And if we are lucky, either Carter or Foster will be there for us ion the 3rd round.

In any case, this had darn well better be the last year for the next decade that we go offense first. But, I know it won't be. Next year the Jack wagons will find another offensive position to harp on. They just won't ever be satisfied no matter how much we ignore our defense. If we would have used just half of our 1st round picks on defense over the last decade, we would have never gone 0-16.

But, offense is king. So, we must appease the crowd that wants all offense and the heck with the defense.

Rant Off.

are u a member of footballs future i saw this same thread there? if so whats ur screen name? never mind saw its the same name lol nice to see a fellow member on there too

Yeah, I post there also. Some people only come here. Others only go there. A few go to both. But, Sometimes I want to gauge the response to my thoughts on both sites. So, I post it on both sites maybe 50% of the time.

It's amazing how different the response can be from one site compared to the other site sometimes. LOL.

April 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am
RIP Killer

I post in FF once in a while....same screen name. There are some pretty knowledgeable people in there and I enjoy reading various opinions on different players, even if I don't agree with them.

April 3rd, 2011, 6:22 pm
RIP Killer

more to drive Billy crazy...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ion_1.html

Quote:
Gregory: OK Tom, it is pick No. 13 and Cameron Jordan, Tyron Smith and Prince Amukamura are all available. Who do you take?

Tom Kowalski: Even with the need at cornerback, I'm convinced more than ever that Detroit is looking at an offensive tackle in the first round. There just isn't a cornerback, outside linebacker or defensive lineman that knocks their socks off so I think the best course of action is to take a tackle.

You have to remember that Gosder Cherilus is coming off microfracture knee surgery and that's always a dicey proposition. Jeff Backus will be the left tackle next year but what about after that? This is the final year of his contract and he'll turn 35 at the start of the 2012 season. Are you going to use a franchise tag on a player of that age? (I'll tell you this - if the Lions don't draft a tackle, they need to begin negotiations for a contract extension with Backus immediately.)

So, I'd take Tyron Smith. And if he's gone and it's between Jordan and Amukamara, I'd take tackle Anthony Castanzo.

Don: If the Lions draft one of the big offensive tackles, hopefully Tyron Smith, what is the possibility that Gosder could move in to left guard and big Tyron could start at right tackle?

Tom Kowalski: I just don't see it. If your scenario plays out, I see the Lions starting the best two tackles who come out of training camp. I don't know if Smith can move inside, but because of his age, I think the Lions would prefer to keep him at tackle and keep him developing there. Learning both the right and left tackle spots will be more than enough for a rookie to absorb.

Fernando: Killer, I'm from Brasil and a HUGE fan of Detroit Lions. I heard a lot about grabbing an Offensive Tackle with Detroit´s first pick. I´m very curious about Jason Fox and Gosder Cherilus... Are they for real? Can they turn into real elite players?

Tom Kowalski: I'd ask you about the weather there, but I don't want to know. About the offensive line, Cherilus has the knee situation while Fox is still something of a mystery. He had some minor knee issues of his own last year and didn't get as much time on the field as the Lions would've liked. They still like the kid a lot, but he's not at the point where you can pencil him into a starting spot on either side.

April 5th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'd have no problem with an OT in the first round--that's probably the safest position to draft high. Even if the guy doesn't pan out at LT, he might have success on the other side, or maybe even moving inside to guard. If the Lions draft someone who might have some position flexibility, then drafting an OT could be a great move--the guy could contribute right away.

April 5th, 2011, 3:24 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Although I'm not enamored with any of this years OT's, if Mayhew is pigeon holed and can't move, and feels that this is the BPA, so be it. Always in favor of improving the O-line unit, even though I think we need inside upgrades more so than tackles.

April 5th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next