View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hypocrisy of the NCAA 
Post Re: Hypocrisy of the NCAA
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Then you have kids choosing where to go to school based on what makes them the most money. And, do you do this for all sports, or just for men's basketball, and football? The women's sport advocates won't be happy about it, or the disproportionate amount of money that will inevitably go toward men's sports.

You really think people don't already do this? Th elite athletes are already choosing schools based on which ones they think give them the best shot to go pro (i.e. which ones are going to get them the most money).

The only athletes that are really bringing money into the schools are the elite athletes. Everyone else is either breaking even or not bringing in anything. That's the business side of it, and if a player is bringing a lot of money into the school, they should see some of the benefits. It's like any other business. If you do exceptionally well and you bring a lot of money into your company, you get rewarded (pay increases, bonuses, etc). Likewise, if you don't bring money into your company, you shouldn't get more pay or bonuses. Simple.

I have no problem with a student athlete choosing the school that gives them the best shot to go pro. That's what engineers, accountants, lawyers, etc. ALL do! I DO have a problem with a student making a decision to play semi-professional ball for a school based on their weekly paycheck, which is what you are asserting that you would have them do.

Also, you didn't address my point about women's teams, and other sports, which I think is systematically much more difficult to account for.

March 31st, 2011, 3:28 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
Once the student hits so much financial aid because of the school cost they can no longer get a pell grant. The full ride pretty much screws them of that. I'm suggesting what you are saying and just calling extending it to the student athletes only based on parent's income on top of the full ride.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that even with the full ride, they can still get a Pell Grant.

March 31st, 2011, 3:34 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
Once the student hits so much financial aid because of the school cost they can no longer get a pell grant. The full ride pretty much screws them of that. I'm suggesting what you are saying and just calling extending it to the student athletes only based on parent's income on top of the full ride.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that even with the full ride, they can still get a Pell Grant.

Mine was effected... all the info I know as a dta point...

March 31st, 2011, 3:59 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Interesting,
I did play a sport in school and I was paid for it. What I got was tuition and a set amount for books. Which was not quite enough. I also got $45.00/week meal money for when we had away matches. I always considered the tuition as pay and the money for books as pay. And the $45 as kind of an expense account. Did the sport I played make the school money. NO. in no way shape or form. It costs them tons, but yet they paid me....don't know why...would have played anyway. Suckers!

Frok

March 31st, 2011, 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2