View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 9:33 am



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Offensive or Defensive Line at #13 
Author Message
Team MVP

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3281
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1481 ... tereotypes

I don't like Prisco, but I like Kerrigan.


March 17th, 2011, 11:46 am
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 820
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
I think it is very likely that the best player available at 13 will be a DL, so I don't think its a big problem to have them draft a DE there. I'm thinking Jordan, Watt or Kerrigan might be attractive to them at that stage. If Tyron Smith is really all that, he'll be gone by 13.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


March 25th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: March 12th, 2006, 3:51 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Rochester Hills
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
While I would love for this pick to be Amukamara (I don't think he will be there - if he is i'm doing cart wheels in my living room), the more and more I look at my board the more I see Cameron Jordan as the pick at #13 based on BPA and defensive fit. Other options could be Aldon Smith, JJ Watt and Ryan Kerrigan but I like Jordan best and here's why:

He is a better fit than he looks at first and as you look closer to the type of defense that Schwartz and Cunningham want to run the more I like it. I think they are looking to FA for at least 1 LB and they will continue with the BPA strategy no matter what and that D line will be even more impressive.

In my opinion, Jordan would basically play rush end on first 2 downs (in a rotation) and shift inside on 3rd downs spelling Corey Williams. This helps Avril get more experience (on 3rd downs and in the rotation) and a chance to stay healthy, and when KVB retires Avril will take his spot! I also think this gives Jackson/McBride/Hill more opportunities because it would make for a faster 3 spot rotation on the DLine (SUH never leaving the field).

The odd men out would be Fluellen and Young. Fluellen could get cut and Young should get another year on the practice squad to develop as a potential rotational replacement after KVB retires.


March 30th, 2011, 8:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
Meechigan89 wrote:
While I would love for this pick to be Amukamara (I don't think he will be there - if he is i'm doing cart wheels in my living room), the more and more I look at my board the more I see Cameron Jordan as the pick at #13 based on BPA and defensive fit. Other options could be Aldon Smith, JJ Watt and Ryan Kerrigan but I like Jordan best and here's why:

He is a better fit than he looks at first and as you look closer to the type of defense that Schwartz and Cunningham want to run the more I like it. I think they are looking to FA for at least 1 LB and they will continue with the BPA strategy no matter what and that D line will be even more impressive.

In my opinion, Jordan would basically play rush end on first 2 downs (in a rotation) and shift inside on 3rd downs spelling Corey Williams. This helps Avril get more experience (on 3rd downs and in the rotation) and a chance to stay healthy, and when KVB retires Avril will take his spot! I also think this gives Jackson/McBride/Hill more opportunities because it would make for a faster 3 spot rotation on the DLine (SUH never leaving the field).

The odd men out would be Fluellen and Young. Fluellen could get cut and Young should get another year on the practice squad to develop as a potential rotational replacement after KVB retires.


The chances of Amukamara being there for us are getting better by the day. The longer the lockout is in effect, the less likely there will be any free agency. So, come draft time, any team needing a QB, and there are like 8 of them drafting before us, can not count on getting one through trade or free agents. I can, with about 90% certainty say that both Carolina and Buffalo will be drafting a QB. I am 100% certain that Cinci will draft a QB. ( Palmer is serious. They have no choice but to draft a QB). That's 3 of the top 4 picks.

Besides all that, Amukamara is falling only because other players are rising.

OT's are sky rocketing up for no real apparent reason other than they have been so good in the last few drafts. So, they must be good this year also.
There are also several DE's and a couple DT's that will be taken before we pick. Also a LB.

The only teams we have to worry about taking a CB are:

San Francisco. And they might have to take a QB instead. But, if they do take a CB, it is looking like Peterson will fall to them. Simply because of other positions being more important to the teams at the top of the draft.

Dallas. They are our biggest threat to losing out on Amukamara. But, they too have bigger fish to fry than CB. They are more likely to take an OT or a DE. They are far bigger needs for them and they might have an OT or DE rated higher at their spot.

Houston. They bare our 2nd biggest threat to losing out on Amukamara. They are switching to a 3-4 defense and will likely rate an OLB as being more important.

Minnesota. I have pretty much eliminated them as being a threat to us losing out on Amukamara. But, I am including them on the list because there is a slight chance they will take him. But, I am about 99% certain they will go DT or DE. Pat Williams is supposedly retiring. ( Is he pulling a Favre? Who Knows?) And Allen is a Free Agent. That is 2 huge holes to fill on their D-line. And their CB's aren't too shabby already.

As result, I am getting more and more confident that our Prince ( Hey, the Pistons have a Prince, Why not the Kings of the Jungle?), will be available to us at #13.


March 30th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: March 12th, 2006, 3:51 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Rochester Hills
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
I agree with most of what you are saying except for a few things.

Cincy will be taking a QB for sure but not in the 1st
- most of the guys they seem to be interested in would be in the 2nd and if they are gonna trade up its gonna be late 1st

peterson's talent may take him off the board early and if that ha[ppens then i think SF will nab Amukamara, but if peterson falls to them then I agree Houston is the only other real hurdle to jump and I also agree the a dominate LB is much more pressing a need for them with the 34 switch and it looks like the talent will be there for them to get a impact 34 OLB and pass on Amukamara.

in my last mock I had Amukamara falling to us at 13 but I wasn't sure if it happened because I subconsciously wanted him too or if that is realistically how things will play out.

Lastly, with the likelyhood of a fixed rookie scale you may see more trades happen in the top 10 than in years past and everything we are discussing is moot, but if there is a scale you will see more teams going after QB/LT/DT's and other positions that usually bring a big paycheck which should further drop Amukamara and increase the likelyhood of him falling to us.


March 30th, 2011, 10:18 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2292
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
Pat Kirwan, had us passing on Amukamara(I love typing that) to take Solder. He had Amukamara falling to 15. Not a very good mocker

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


March 30th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1089
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
Am I safe to assume there will be alot of whining on draft day if the Lions pass on Amukamara? Could happen. Here are some concerns I've read in regards to him: Lacks ball skills, doesn't turn his head to look for the ball on throws down field. One scouting report said he may be better suited to play safety (we already got stuck with one of those in last years draft). One guy wrote " looks like a guy capable of starting at a number of spots in an NFL secondary. However, I don't think he will ever be a real blue-chip corner."

Now in all fairness I have read more pro's than con's in regard to his abilities, and I'm sure that most would think this is just nitpicking. If he's there on D-day, and is our selection, I will be in full support of it, and figure the Lions feel he is a good fit to our defense, and can develop into a #1 corner. Just don't think it's safe to assume he's who the Lions would select.


March 31st, 2011, 7:45 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
While on the subject (more related to the DL part), does anyone else find it to our advantage that Jake Locker had a great pro day?? More DL to fall to us the better (or even one of the 2 CBs, which i still dont see happening).

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


March 31st, 2011, 10:48 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9988
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
kdsberman wrote:
While on the subject (more related to the DL part), does anyone else find it to our advantage that Jake Locker had a great pro day?? More DL to fall to us the better (or even one of the 2 CBs, which i still dont see happening).


I truly think that Locker could go to Minnesota. I think the real advantage for the Lions is that teams haven't been able to trade or sign veteran FAs, and for teams like Cincy, Buffalo, Minnesota, and maybe SF needing a QB, they may get desperate and pull the trigger on Locker or Mallett higher than they typically would. Also, with Miami and Jacksonville looking to get QBs as well, they may look to trade up and nab one. I could see Houston trading back and trying to get better value...maybe even moving back far enough so they can take Phil Taylor to be their NT at round 20 or 21. They might be willing to trade with a team like Jacksonville, then trade back again to position themselves accordingly.

Jacksonville needs to get another QB, if nothing else just to generate fan interest. They didn't get Tebow last year, so they might look to make a move this year.

I think Locker is actually worth a top 20 pick, but not a top 10. However, teams tend to rank QBs higher when they are in desperate need at the position.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


April 1st, 2011, 11:40 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
I agree M2, in my mock (1.0 i guess you can say), I have Locker going to Minnesota.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 1st, 2011, 4:09 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2292
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
kdsberman wrote:
I agree M2, in my mock (1.0 i guess you can say), I have Locker going to Minnesota.

I think Newton will end up a Viking(Not sure they'll be in MN for long though)

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


April 1st, 2011, 6:47 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
I hope Newton goes to Minny... bust waiting to happen.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 1st, 2011, 7:19 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9988
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
My opinion is that both Locker and Mallett should go ahead of Cam Newton. The NFL is all about passing, and both Locker and Mallett are far more accurate than Newton. But there's a bunch of hype around Newton, and I think some team is going to be suckered in, and it's looking like that team is Buffalo. They are the one team that can afford to sit Newton down and not rush him into the thick of things.

I think the only way Minnesota gets Newton is if two things happen....Buffalo trades out of that spot, and Minnesota at least trades ahead of Washington. I don't think Cincy takes a QB in round one, and I don't think SF will either.....unless Blaine Gabbert falls to them.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


April 1st, 2011, 7:43 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
m2karateman wrote:
My opinion is that both Locker and Mallett should go ahead of Cam Newton. The NFL is all about passing, and both Locker and Mallett are far more accurate than Newton. But there's a bunch of hype around Newton, and I think some team is going to be suckered in, and it's looking like that team is Buffalo. They are the one team that can afford to sit Newton down and not rush him into the thick of things.

I think the only way Minnesota gets Newton is if two things happen....Buffalo trades out of that spot, and Minnesota at least trades ahead of Washington. I don't think Cincy takes a QB in round one, and I don't think SF will either.....unless Blaine Gabbert falls to them.


I think the 49ers will wait until next year. And then they will trade their entire draft if necessary to get Luck. And thereby reunite him with Harbaugh.


April 1st, 2011, 9:50 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2376
Post Re: Offensive or Defensive Line at #13
It'll be interesting to see if there's a 'run' on a certain type of player (QB, OT, DL) before we pick. Depending on how that shakes out, I'd say there's a good chance of us getting the best player at a certain position.

_________________
"There were a couple times where I was just like, 'Is that legal?" Warford said. "Cause he was getting laid out. I was like, 'Someone might call the cops. This is not fair.'"


April 4th, 2011, 9:27 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.