View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: I am so sick and tired of people foisting an OT on us.
Pablo,

Have you ever heard the term "Useful Idiot"?

Tom Kowalski is a useful Idiot.

If Amukamara is available and we pick one of these turds at OT, I will explode and seriously consider turning in my Lions Fan Card.

Every one of these OT's this year were all considered absolute garbage all the way up to practice week at the senior bowl. And somehow, instantly, they all went from turds to dynamos. I don't buy it. And anyone who does buy it, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you for a great price.

April 5th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Like M2K, I'm not willing to give up on Jason Fox just yet. I liked what I saw from him at Miami prior to his injury and still think he could develop into a quality starting LT. That's the primary reason why I don't want to invest a high draft pick on a position where a future starter may already be on the roster. Now, if the coaching staff has information that proves otherwise, then it's a totally different story, but it sounds like they're still high on him.

April 5th, 2011, 9:48 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Sly brings up a point that I think is most underrated by draftniks all over the place. We have such limited information on players like Jason Fox, since they have seen so little playing time, that we tend to think that they are not going to turn into anything good. We think that if they aren't starting, they aren't going to be. Coaches and GM's see these guys practice every day during the season, and during the offseason workouts (except not this year). The FO might be high on some of these young guys who are not yet ready to start (ala Aaron Berry) but are worth keeping around.

April 6th, 2011, 3:32 pm
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
I'd have no problem with an OT in the first round--that's probably the safest position to draft high. Even if the guy doesn't pan out at LT, he might have success on the other side, or maybe even moving inside to guard. If the Lions draft someone who might have some position flexibility, then drafting an OT could be a great move--the guy could contribute right away.

As evidenced by such stalwart offensive tackles the Lions have drafted in the first round like Stockar McDougle, Aaron Gibson and Gosder Cherilus. None played to their draft value, none moved inside to guard with any noteable measure of success, and all fo them had some sort of red flag associated with them prior to their pick (McDougle-work ethic, Gibson-weight, Cherilus-not an NFL LT). Drafting an offensive tackle in the early parts of the first round (around pick #22 or higher, I'd say) SHOULD be about getting either a LT or a future Pro Bowl RT.

The only player who may be worth the 13th pick at that position is Tyron Smith, who played RT at USC. He does have a great upside, has great athletic skills and could become either a very good NFL LT or a Pro Bowl RT. No guarantees, of course. And if he is that best player on the Lions draft board at that pick, and no trade offers come in, then by all means I'll support the Lions picking him. But not because he'd be considered a "safe" pick, but rather the best player available based on talent and his chance to succeed in the NFL.

April 7th, 2011, 12:48 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
I'd have no problem with an OT in the first round--that's probably the safest position to draft high. Even if the guy doesn't pan out at LT, he might have success on the other side, or maybe even moving inside to guard. If the Lions draft someone who might have some position flexibility, then drafting an OT could be a great move--the guy could contribute right away.

As evidenced by such stalwart offensive tackles the Lions have drafted in the first round like Stockar McDougle, Aaron Gibson and Gosder Cherilus. None played to their draft value, none moved inside to guard with any noteable measure of success, and all fo them had some sort of red flag associated with them prior to their pick (McDougle-work ethic, Gibson-weight, Cherilus-not an NFL LT). Drafting an offensive tackle in the early parts of the first round (around pick #22 or higher, I'd say) SHOULD be about getting either a LT or a future Pro Bowl RT.

The only player who may be worth the 13th pick at that position is Tyron Smith, who played RT at USC. He does have a great upside, has great athletic skills and could become either a very good NFL LT or a Pro Bowl RT. No guarantees, of course. And if he is that best player on the Lions draft board at that pick, and no trade offers come in, then by all means I'll support the Lions picking him. But not because he'd be considered a "safe" pick, but rather the best player available based on talent and his chance to succeed in the NFL.

You know I have to agree with the rationalization of BPA. But, doesn't it bother you to take a player who quite possibly will be no more than a RT? Drives me nuts! Lots of good RT candidates available at later picks.

April 7th, 2011, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
You know I have to agree with the rationalization of BPA. But, doesn't it bother you to take a player who quite possibly will be no more than a RT? Drives me nuts! Lots of good RT candidates available at later picks.

What bothers me is the fact that the Lions are picking in a place where they are just out of reach of being practically guaranteed a true impact player.

Like I said, if Tyron Smith is taken by the Lions and stays at RT, the only thing that would make him worth that pick is if he becomes a Pro Bowl RT. The "other" candidates you speak of don't have the ceiling Smith does, not even close. If the Lions could add a future PB right tackle, that would be worth that pick, easily.

Don't get me wrong, he's not my first choice. But if he's the best guy on their board, I won't have a problem with them pulling the trigger for him over a player like Castonzo, Solder or someone who doesn't truly fit our roster.

April 7th, 2011, 10:37 pm
RIP Killer

OK, some good press for you Billy...

http://www.freep.com/article/20110418/S ... 9/sports01

Quote:
NFL analyst Gil Brandt doesn't see Lions drafting an offensive lineman at No. 13

Gil Brandt has seen the mock drafts, and he doesn’t believe them.

Brandt, the analyst with the NFL Network and former Dallas Cowboys personnel czar, said during a conference call today he does not believe the Detroit Lions will take an offensive lineman with their first-round pick in next week’s draft.

“Everybody seems to think it’s an offensive lineman,” Brandt said. “I have a little bit of a connection with your head coach there (Jim Schwartz), and I don’t think that they will take an offensive lineman. I personally don’t know who it’s going to be, but I think it’s probably going to be a defensive player.”

Brandt, who got to know Schwartz when Schwartz was a low-level assistant with Bill Belichick’s Cleveland Browns in the early 1990s, said he believes the Lions will take a defensive lineman or cornerback with the 13th overall pick.

Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara and offensive tackles Tyron Smith of Southern California and Anthony Castonzo of Boston College have been slotted most frequently to the Lions in mock drafts.

While cornerback and linebacker are the Lions’ most pressing needs, Brandt said the Lions feel “you’re going to be able to get a pretty good linebacker” with pick No. 44 in the second round. He also said Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers would be an interesting choice if he’s available when they’re on the clock in Round 1. Bowers, who had 15 1/2 sacks as a junior last year, is coming off January knee surgery, and there are questions about the long-term health of his leg.

“It’ll be interesting how (Lions trainer) Dean Kleinschmidt, what kind of a grade he puts on Bowers,” Brandt said. “Boy, I’ll tell you what, he’d be a steal at that spot in the draft.”

Another defensive end the Lions might consider at No. 13 is Missouri’s Aldon Smith. Lions general manager Martin Mayhew attended Smith’s pro day last month, when Brandt said Smith “looked like Secretariat against some plow horses."

“Smith has got a lot going for him,” Brandt said.

Notes: The NFL announced today that it will release its 2011 schedule at 7 p.m. Tuesday on the NFL Network and nfl.com. … The Lions hosted Hawaii running back Alex Green on a visit today, according to the National Football Post.

April 18th, 2011, 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Pablo wrote:
Lets assume we do go OT (and lets hope not), lets hear everyone's choice...

Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
Tyron Smith, USC
Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Nate Solder, Colorado

Had to read the whole thread, and then go back to find Pablo's question.

If it's a lineman, I go with Anthony Castonzo, Boston College. I'm off work on disability (post back surgery) and have nothing but time to scan the web for draft news and read papers and magazines. Read too many quotes that Tyron Smith has knee problems. Carimi and Solder have some weak spots, with Solder's mostly a problem of inexperience.

Read this on SI.com, from Peter King.

Quote:
Greg Cosell, the executive producer of the long-running "NFL Matchup'' show, is one of the best NFL talent evaluators I know -- and he doesn't even work for a team. He works for NFL Films, and it is in that capacity that he has studied tape of the best college football players in the country in preparation for the draft later this month. His job as executive producer is to know as much as he can about every prospect so he can act as consultant for Merril Hoge, Ron Jaworski and others who will need to be conversant on draft prospects for the weekend of draft coverage.

Because I feel he's so prescient, I asked him if he would be good enough to take 10 intriguing players in this draft and analyze them for Monday Morning Quarterback. His insight is not full of cliche. It's full of facts, some of which you can't find anywhere else. For example, of the highly regarded Purdue defensive end, Ryan Kerrigan, Cosell says: "In many ways, Kerrigan is a glorified try-hard player. In three games I broke down, I did not see one explosive or dynamic move.''

Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado (late-first round): The most confident press-man corner in this draft. Physical and patient. Loose hips. Smooth change of direction in off coverage. Only potential negative: lack of explosive speed. Physical prototype for NFL press corners. Has the mindset of a man-to-man corner, and mindful of Darrelle Revis when he came out of Pittsburgh a few years ago.

Anthony Castonzo, T, Boston College (mid-first round): BC runs a lot of pro sets, which will transition well to the NFL. Against North Carolina State, his tenacity was evident from the first snap. Physical presence, both as a run-block and pass-protector. Good balance and body control -- essential for a pass-protector. Needs to pass-protect with hands and arms more as weapons. Against Florida State, struck and moved defensive linemen. Aggressive and relentless. Struggled a few times against the inside spin moves against FSU. Tendency to overset and give up the inside, which can be corrected with coaching.Similarities to Jake Long, but may be better in pass-protection. A complete left tackle, better than Colorado's Nate Solder. (emphasis mine)

So if we do take a tackle, I want Castonzo. But since it looks like Smith is going to be there, then I want Mayhew to be right about the kid getting past his earlier behavior problems and take whom I think is the best CB available in the draft. Amukamara got killed against Oklahoma State and he will see a lot more elite wideouts in the NFL. I think Peterson will end up moving to safety. I also think they will both be gone at #13.

Aside from a mad plan that involves rumors and innuendos about Von Miller so *HE* drops to 13, Smith and Castonzo are 1 and 1a, respectively for me.

April 19th, 2011, 8:37 pm
All State

Quote:
Wisconsin’s Nagy Puts Himself On Packers’ Radar

By Brian Carriveau on Apr 14, 2011 with 0 Comments

University of Wisconsin offensive lineman Bill Nagy might not get the attention of fellow Badgers linemates Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt, but that doesn't make him any less of an NFL prospect.

"I don't feel overshadowed at all," Nagy told Cheesehead TV. "Those guys had great careers here. Those are two of my best friends, so I'm not jealous or anything of them. That's cool that they get to do [the NFL Combine] and everything. I'm just really focused on just bettering myself."

Nagy figures to be a late-round draft prospect or an undrafted free agent type. But he feels that after his pro day workout last month, he'll be getting more attention from NFL teams.

With Packers general manager Ted Thompson, head coach Mike McCarthy and assistant director of college scouting Shaun Herock in attendance that day, Nagy took it upon himself to put a face to a name.

"I shook some of their hands, introduced myself to some of them," said Nagy.

Among the more impressive numbers Nagy put up on March 9 was his vertical jump, which reportedly measured in at 30.5 inches.

That height would have put him in the upper echelon of offensive lineman at the NFL Combine and displayed his athleticism to all the scouts and coaches watching, including Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and Chicago Bears assistants Mike Tice and Mike Martz.

"I think I bring athleticism to the offensive line, and I take a lot of pride in the mental aspect as well," said Nagy. "I feel like I'm a pretty smart guy and don't make many mental errors. I feel like those are some of my strengths."

Despite being primarily an interior offensive lineman, there's perhaps no better example of Nagy's athleticism than the two consecutive games he started at tight end in Wisconsin's jumbo package in wins against Minnesota and then no. 1 ranked Ohio State last season.

It was a season in which Nagy started eight games for the Badgers, helped them become co-conference champions, earn a trip to the Rose Bowl and was named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the league coaches.

As a player that's started at both guard and center throughout his college career, Nagy has recently been working on improving his game with former NFL offensive lineman and two-time Pro Bowler LeCharles Bentley.

"I was working out with LeCharles Bentley leading up to [Wisconsin's pro day], doing some offensive line stuff," said Nagy. "I was just talking, watching film with him, just learning all sorts of new stuff. And the cool thing that he said, he said there are guys that have been in the league for 10 years and they're still like, 'Man, I've got to work on this. I've got to work on that.'

"So it's always a process of trying to better your game, try to learn new things, just keep really doing well, sharpening the trade I guess you could say."

The NFL Draft is exactly two weeks from today, beginning on Thursday Apr. 28 and concluding on Saturday Apr. 30.

This is the first time I've really read anything about him, but does he sound like a good later round flyer? I'd really like to see them replace Riola or Peterman, and a G/C player would be a great addition. Maybe Nagy would be worth a 4th or 5th round pick?

While I'm still hoping for Akumura or maybe Tyron Smith if he's still there, I'd love to see them trade back and take Pouncey, or if he really is in the running and they think he'll be gone, take him at 13 anyway. I'm seeing more mock drafts predicting Pouncey going as high as 15 to Miami now.

April 21st, 2011, 12:47 pm
RIP Killer

DisgruntledFan wrote:
This is the first time I've really read anything about him, but does he sound like a good later round flyer? I'd really like to see them replace Riola or Peterman, and a G/C player would be a great addition. Maybe Nagy would be worth a 4th or 5th round pick?

While I'm still hoping for Akumura or maybe Tyron Smith if he's still there, I'd love to see them trade back and take Pouncey, or if he really is in the running and they think he'll be gone, take him at 13 anyway. I'm seeing more mock drafts predicting Pouncey going as high as 15 to Miami now.

I highly doubt Pouncey goes that high. The reason his brother entered the draft last season is because Maurkice was better than Mike. Pouncey is getting some mock uplift due to his brothers success, but Mike is not the prospect Maurkice was. I suspect Mike will get picked in the 20s. If the Lions take him at #13 overall, I'd be upset. Trade back and then take him? I'm all for it, but I don't think that's the player they'd be targeting with a trade back.

April 21st, 2011, 1:33 pm
NFL Veteran

Agree somewhat. I was high on Pouncey at first, but then realized how much we get burned by the nepotism deal. See Boss Bailey. Terrance Holt. Bullocks.

The eye opener is when I read somewhere that once Mike took over under center, the snapping duties did not have the precision it once had with Markice. Not saying the ball was consistently being snapped over the QB's head, but they were not right on the money like his brothers snaps. That already tells you he's the lesser of the two bro's. Mama might love her boys equally, but not me.

Granted, Markice did his thing for 2-3 years? Mike had a one year stint. Nevertheless, I hate the idea of settling.

April 21st, 2011, 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3