View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Da'Quan Bowers or Patrick Peterson 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Da'Quan Bowers or Patrick Peterson
I have trouble seeing Prince getting past Houston at 11. I guess the two positions in this draft that are strongest (or at least top heavy) are CB and DL, the two biggest positions of need for Houston. They would have options for starters at both positions in each round. They did draft Kareem Jackson last year, so maybe they go DL as they are transitioning to a 3-4. If JJ Watt is there, they may take him, but would they take Aldon Smith or Cam Jordan at 11? I don't know. The safe pick I think would be to take Prince.

April 6th, 2011, 11:33 am
Hall of Fame Player

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I have trouble seeing Prince getting past Houston at 11. I guess the two positions in this draft that are strongest (or at least top heavy) are CB and DL, the two biggest positions of need for Houston. They would have options for starters at both positions in each round. They did draft Kareem Jackson last year, so maybe they go DL as they are transitioning to a 3-4. If JJ Watt is there, they may take him, but would they take Aldon Smith or Cam Jordan at 11? I don't know. The safe pick I think would be to take Prince.

The bolded part is the key to your statement.

If you are switching to a 3-4, You better get your D-line right, or nothing else matters. Just ask Buffalo from last season. DB's are the last pieces to get filled in a 3-4.

I'm not really worried about Houston. I think they take a LB before they take a DB.

April 6th, 2011, 7:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

BillySims wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

If you are switching to a 3-4, You better get your D-line right, or nothing else matters. Just ask Buffalo from last season. DB's are the last pieces to get filled in a 3-4.

I'm not really worried about Houston. I think they take a LB before they take a DB.

Agree that they need to get the proper personnel, but I doubt they reach for a LB at 11. Outside of Von Miller there is no 1st round talent at LB. Wayne might be right about their selection, but I'm leaning toward them taking a DE. Lots of guys you can get later to fill the 4 man linebacking crew.

April 7th, 2011, 7:13 am
QB Coach

The Texans have a whole host of needs and could go just about anywhere. They could take Prince to help their terrible secondary. They could take Watt or Jordan to be their other DE since they say they aren't moving Mario. If Quinn is still on the board he could be the pick for a rush olb.

April 7th, 2011, 9:23 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

That is true, they already have two pretty darn good LB's in Cushing and Ryans. They do need a speed guy off the edge, though. I don't know if he'll still be around, but Robert Quinn could be a real good fit in that new D.

The point that Billy makes is interesting because Houston is trying to remake their D, and Minnesota has so many holes that need to be filled that they probably wouldn't take a CB, meaning Prince could drop to Detroit at 13.

April 7th, 2011, 9:34 am
QB Coach

Where Peterson ends up obviously is going to have a huge effect on where Prince goes. Teams that could take a CB before us: #2 Denver, #3 Buffalo, #5 Arizona, #6 Cleveland, #7 San Fran, #9 Dallas, #10 Washington, #11 Houston, #12 Minnesota. If Peterson falls to 7 I think that gives us a better shot at Prince.

April 7th, 2011, 9:44 am
RIP Killer

Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith are strong possibilities for Houston with the #11 pick. Remember in the 34 the OLB position isn't a true OLB. Saying Von Miller is the only linebacker worthy of a first round grade is only true if you are talking a 43 linebacker. Besides which, Martez Wilson might sneak into late round one....but I have my doubts he will. As for 34 OLBs, aside from the two possibilities mentioned, there are Ryan Kerrigan, Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston who might be picked for 34 teams in the first round and made to play OLB for them.

April 7th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think if Prince isn't there the Texans might actually look to move back and get better value for a pick to meet a need. Their biggest need in the switch back to the 3-4 (they ran the 3-4 not too long ago) is a NT. They have the DEs with Williams and a combination of Okoye and Cody. The LB position isn't that bad off either, they have Ryans in the middle along with Adibi and Diles that can either battle for the other MLB spot or at least add good depth behind Ryans and whomever might fill the other spot. At OLB Cushing is an ideal 3-4 OLB and Anderson has potential to be a nice rush LB on the otherside.

With that being the case I can see a move back (maybe #20 from Tampa) if Prince is off the board. They can then decide if Phil Taylor is worth the #20 pick or grab Smith or Harris at CB with Ayers, Kerrigan, and Reed as options to fill the other OLB role with picks #42 and #51 (from Tampa) in the 2nd round.

As far as Detroit is concerned I've been at the front of the line of those wanting a new LT but as much as I like Castanzo and a beefed up Smith if they were both there I'd pass if Prince was there. With Bowers I wasn't a big fan before the knee injury and if Prince was gone I'd take Jordan or trade back to get at least another 2nd rounder. I'll continue this thought in a different thread to keep from getting to far off topic.

April 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm
Hall of Fame Player

liontrax wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

Agree that they need to get the proper personnel, but I doubt they reach for a LB at 11. Outside of Von Miller there is no 1st round talent at LB. Wayne might be right about their selection, but I'm leaning toward them taking a DE. Lots of guys you can get later to fill the 4 man linebacking crew.

You misunderstood me. I was was saying that they would take D-line with my statement about the D-line or nothing else matters. I simply made the comment that they would draft a LB before a DB.

April 7th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This is what scares me:
Mlive wrote:
If it's microfracture, Detroit Lions must pass on Da'Quan Bowers
Published: Monday, April 11, 2011, 8:47 AM Updated: Monday, April 11, 2011, 9:49 AM By Tom Kowalski MLive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers is a top five talent but there are some serious questions about his knee. I've been asked several times whether the Detroit Lions should take Bowers if he falls to No. 13. My answer is yes -- as long as it's not a career-ending injury.

Now comes word from Peter King (via PFT) that Bowers might need microfracture surgery. If that's the case, the Lions should steer clear of Bowers.

Microfracture surgery is such a dicey proposition that it's not worth the risk. While it's possible that Bowers could bounce back from that kind of procedure, it's just as possible that Bowers would be in and out of the lineup for the next several years with the Lions spinning their wheels in the process.

It's a tough call and there will be a lot of temptation, but the Lions have to pass on anyone who is facing microfracture surgery at this point in their career.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/04/if_its_microfracture_detroit_l.html

The question is whether this is the truth or a smokescreen? That's what the Lions have to figure out.

April 11th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
This is what scares me:
Mlive wrote:
If it's microfracture, Detroit Lions must pass on Da'Quan Bowers
Published: Monday, April 11, 2011, 8:47 AM Updated: Monday, April 11, 2011, 9:49 AM By Tom Kowalski MLive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers is a top five talent but there are some serious questions about his knee. I've been asked several times whether the Detroit Lions should take Bowers if he falls to No. 13. My answer is yes -- as long as it's not a career-ending injury.

Now comes word from Peter King (via PFT) that Bowers might need microfracture surgery. If that's the case, the Lions should steer clear of Bowers.

Microfracture surgery is such a dicey proposition that it's not worth the risk. While it's possible that Bowers could bounce back from that kind of procedure, it's just as possible that Bowers would be in and out of the lineup for the next several years with the Lions spinning their wheels in the process.

It's a tough call and there will be a lot of temptation, but the Lions have to pass on anyone who is facing microfracture surgery at this point in their career.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/04/if_its_microfracture_detroit_l.html

The question is whether this is the truth or a smokescreen? That's what the Lions have to figure out.

Well, since Peter King is reporter, he has no reason to create a smoke screen. He doesn't work for any team.

April 12th, 2011, 8:38 pm
NFL Veteran

Microfracture surgery would certainly explain a free fall of stock from top 3-5 pick to end of the first round.

Prior to this, no one could give me a satisfying answer as to why he would fall so far.

April 12th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

well, since apparently allenslions knows all there is to know about these guys, maybe he/she can answer.

April 13th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

BillySims wrote:
Well, since Peter King is reporter, he has no reason to create a smoke screen. He doesn't work for any team.

You obviously don't understand how smokescreens work. Teams "leak" information to reporters in hopes that they'll do their job and report them. The reporter has no idea whether the info is true or not, but he relays to the public whatever he is told. Once enough reporters are fed the same BS, it is generally accepted as true, hence the smokescreen. You ought to know that, Billy. :wink:

April 13th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Varsity Captain

as far as bowers goes it all depends on each teams own med reports on him.i have seen med reports that say he might only get two or three years out of his knee.but med reports are much like scouting reports there largely based on opinion.but if your a gm and your team doctors say he may only play 4 or 5 years are you drafting him in the first round.as for peterson im guessing either arizona if gabbert is gone or the niners if the cards have a shot at gabbert.carolina will really control the way this draft shakes out because they could take anyone of the top five players.it truly is a log jam at the top.

April 13th, 2011, 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3