View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Your Lions Big Board at 13 
Team MVP

Post Re: Your Lions Big Board at 13
So lets say Bowers falls to us...we draft him....

Where does he fit right away? Obviously KVB will start, but will he rotate with him or Avril? Or start OVER Avril?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 9th, 2011, 3:37 pm
kdsberman wrote:
So lets say Bowers falls to us...we draft him....

Where does he fit right away? Obviously KVB will start, but will he rotate with him or Avril? Or start OVER Avril?

After the first drive of the game, and/or the first injury of the season, it's a moot point. Bowers would get his time on the field regardless, and IMO that's all that matters.

For me, right now I would use Bowers to spell both Avril and KVB, but he would obviously spell KVB more due to his age. KVB may have one GOOD season left before he starts to tail out. Even if he has 3 good seasons left his contract is going to be up, and he's not going to be worth re-signing for big dollars. It would be great to have Bowers behind him, ready to step in and not miss a beat, keeping up our dominating DL play.

I will concede that the Bowers pick more sets us up to be a good team next year, and there are other pics that would have a more immediate impact this year. However, I think Bowers is good enough to make that move. I think he's worth the delay in team progress to set up our DL (which is IMO the most important unit on the field on the D side of the ball) for the next 5 years.

April 9th, 2011, 6:41 pm
NFL Veteran

Pablo wrote:
OK, the draft is fast approaching, lets see how everyone's big board is shaping up. First, lets assume the following players are off the board...

QB - Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert
WR - AJ Green
DT - Nick Fairley, Marcell Dareus
DE - Robert Quinn
LB - Von Miller
CB - Patrick Peterson

That is 8 off the board, so you need to rank your top 5 cause one will have to be there. Obvious choices are:

RB - Mark Ingram
WR - Julio Jones
OT - Tyron Smith, Anthony Castano, Nate Solder
DE - Da'Quan Bowers, Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan
LB - Akeem Ayers
CB - Prince Amukamara, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris

Feel free to add others to your top 5 list. Mine as of this point is:

1) CB Prince Amukamara - need and value propel him to the top
2) WR Julio Jones - top ten value from talent standpoint
3) OT Tyron Smith - gotta put one of the OTs on the board
4) DE Da'Quan Bowers - big upside, hardest one to peg on my board
5) DE Cameron Jordan - like his versitility and althleticism

0) Robert Quinn DE UNC - I know I'm cheating, but some have Quinn falling, and if he does, you take the best trade offer, or you don't waste your time and get this pick to the podium.

1) Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson - Simply the BPA if his knee checks out.

2) Jimmy Smith CB Colorado - I think he's over the character issue, meaning based on talent/heath he's the 2nd best CB

3) Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska - The more I watch and deconstruct him, the more I want to drop him.

4) Akeem Ayers LB UCLA - He can do it all. Rush the passer, play the run, and excels in coverage. Wondering why there's no premium on a LB that is so versatile.

5) Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa - Of all the talented tier 2 DE's, I would love to see Clayborn on the same line as Suh.

April 20th, 2011, 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

ok guys bowers knee is red flagged big time as it,s showing signs of being arthritic .its not even about being healthy for the season anymore it's about how many years that knee has left.he is gonna free fall in the draft. maybe late second or early third.I know of teams that have him as completely undraftable .as for ayers he is one of the softest linebackers i have ever scouted.is a major arm tackler.his only upside would be as a 3-4 passrusher .i see him as a major bust waiting to happen.

April 20th, 2011, 6:34 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Have to agree with your assessment of Ayers " he is one of the softest linebackers i have ever scouted "
Watched several of UCLA's late season games looking forward to seeing this highly ranked LB, and it left me thinking the same thing. Who knows maybe with pro coaching he would become more aggressive, but I think you've either got that mean or you don't.

April 20th, 2011, 9:39 am
Team MVP

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
Pablo wrote:
OK, the draft is fast approaching, lets see how everyone's big board is shaping up. First, lets assume the following players are off the board...

QB - Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert
WR - AJ Green
DT - Nick Fairley, Marcell Dareus
DE - Robert Quinn
LB - Von Miller
CB - Patrick Peterson

That is 8 off the board, so you need to rank your top 5 cause one will have to be there. Obvious choices are:

RB - Mark Ingram
WR - Julio Jones
OT - Tyron Smith, Anthony Castano, Nate Solder
DE - Da'Quan Bowers, Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan
LB - Akeem Ayers
CB - Prince Amukamara, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris

Feel free to add others to your top 5 list. Mine as of this point is:

1) CB Prince Amukamara - need and value propel him to the top
2) WR Julio Jones - top ten value from talent standpoint
3) OT Tyron Smith - gotta put one of the OTs on the board
4) DE Da'Quan Bowers - big upside, hardest one to peg on my board
5) DE Cameron Jordan - like his versitility and althleticism

0) Robert Quinn DE UNC - I know I'm cheating, but some have Quinn falling, and if he does, you take the best trade offer, or you don't waste your time and get this pick to the podium.

1) Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson - Simply the BPA if his knee checks out.

2) Jimmy Smith CB Colorado - I think he's over the character issue, meaning based on talent/heath he's the 2nd best CB

3) Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska - The more I watch and deconstruct him, the more I want to drop him.

4) Akeem Ayers LB UCLA - He can do it all. Rush the passer, play the run, and excels in coverage. Wondering why there's no premium on a LB that is so versatile.

5) Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa - Of all the talented tier 2 DE's, I would love to see Clayborn on the same line as Suh.

Actually in my mock draft, I have Quinn falling to the Lions. If he does, we better take him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 20th, 2011, 11:50 am
Heisman Winner

1. Bowers - If the Lions can be patient, I think his size/speed/playmaking ability is unmatched.
2. Prince - This is more based on need here. I'm not totally convinced of him yet. I actually think Brandon Harris might be a the better value later.
3. Cam Jordan - I really like his game. Maybe a notch below Bowers in playmaking though.
4. JJ Watt - I'd like to nickname him "the pterodactyl" because the guy has quite a wingspan and just flies around the field. I see an instant bond between him and KVB. They play the same.
5. Tyron Smith - Makes a lot of sense. Big upside and in a position to learn for a year.

April 20th, 2011, 12:46 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

As far as I'm concerned, there are two guys who I think the Lions CANNOT pass on if they are available at 13, Prince Amukamara and Tyron Smith. Any of the D-lineman, outside of maybe Robert Quinn the Lions could pass on and not be hurt by it. If both of these guys are there at 13, then it'll be a toss of a coin, hopefully landing on Prince. I just think that these two represent need and bpa fused into one at #13.

April 20th, 2011, 2:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wayne Fontes wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, there are two guys who I think the Lions CANNOT pass on if they are available at 13, Prince Amukamara and Tyron Smith. Any of the D-lineman, outside of maybe Robert Quinn the Lions could pass on and not be hurt by it. If both of these guys are there at 13, then it'll be a toss of a coin, hopefully landing on Prince. I just think that these two represent need and bpa fused into one at #13.

I agree with you on this, but I'd throw in Jimmy Smith too.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 20th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Not Smith. He's a great talent, but he's going to be there at 13, and I don't think they're going to take him at that spot. If they trade down then most definitely consider him, but not at that spot.

April 20th, 2011, 4:01 pm
NFL Veteran

I think I've decided that I like Jimmy Smith over Prince. (And a few others in round 2)

Now regarding Tyron Smith. Doesn't it bug anyone else besides me that he's appeared out of nowhere to secure that top tackle spot? It doesn't bother anyone that we are having a 'project' tackle hoisted on us? He played Right Tackle, and at 20-30 lbs too light. It's a gamble any way I look at it. He's expected to make a position change to the 2nd most important position on the team, and add mass while expected to maintain his quickness. Too many questions for me to draft him this high and 'hope' he turns into an elite left tackle.

It's like the more people talk about Smith, they warm to the idea of him being an elite tackle and talked their way into anointing him as such. Not me, he never was in college and is still more 'potential' than anything else. Feels like Jason Smith Baylor tackle de ja vu to me.

April 20th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Profile WWW

If it's Jason Smith it's a good thing we're not at #2 then. Tyron Smith and Nate Solder have a much high ceiling then Costanzo and Carimi. But with Costanzo and Carimi you know what you're getting, but you might not get the superstar talent that Smith and Solder could offer. I think it's easier to say he could be a bust (especially after the Millen regime) then to say he could be great. He could just as easily be a pro-bowler as he could be a bust. Just prospective I guess.

April 20th, 2011, 4:49 pm
NFL Veteran

allenslions wrote:
.as for ayers he is one of the softest linebackers i have ever scouted.is a major arm tackler.his only upside would be as a 3-4 passrusher .i see him as a major bust waiting to happen.

liontrax wrote:
Have to agree with your assessment of Ayers " he is one of the softest linebackers i have ever scouted "
Watched several of UCLA's late season games looking forward to seeing this highly ranked LB, and it left me thinking the same thing. Who knows maybe with pro coaching he would become more aggressive, but I think you've either got that mean or you don't.

I disagree with the "soft" label and I've seen plenty good tackling from him. I think his biggest weakness is getting stuck on blocks. But behind our D-line, that's not such a big deal since they will be keeping him clean. With a 4 man rush, I think his excellent coverage skills and pretty explosive pass rush make him a perfect fit for our defense.

Want more heresy? I don't see what the big deal about Von Miller is. More "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome me thinks.

April 20th, 2011, 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
allenslions wrote:
.as for ayers he is one of the softest linebackers i have ever scouted.is a major arm tackler.his only upside would be as a 3-4 passrusher .i see him as a major bust waiting to happen.

liontrax wrote:

I disagree with the "soft" label and I've seen plenty good tackling from him. I think his biggest weakness is getting stuck on blocks. But behind our D-line, that's not such a big deal since they will be keeping him clean. With a 4 man rush, I think his excellent coverage skills and pretty explosive pass rush make him a perfect fit for our defense.

Want more heresy? I don't see what the big deal about Von Miller is. More "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome me thinks.

Usually I agree with much of your insights HB, but not on this.

First, Akeem doesn't pop people. His tackles are more of him just dragging people down than knocking them off their feet. I want a LB that sends a message, and believe those type of guys are available in rounds two or three. Ayers also tends to make downfield tackles rather than stuffing the run at the LOS. No doubt he has solid athletic skills, but he doesn't make the most use of them, in my opinion. He almost seems to shy away from hard contact, and as you said, he doesn't get off blockers that well. And despite our dominant front four, he'd still have to deal with that from tight ends and lead blocking backs.

Von Miller is the complete 34 package, and that's what he's being so touted for. He's a nice fit for a team running a 43 that enjoys sending their OLBs on blitzes more than half the time, but the fact is he has shown the skills to do whatever is asked of him, in any defensive scheme, and do it with strong ability. In this particular draft, he's definitely a top five talent. In last years draft, not so much, but probably still a top ten to fifteen guy. I see Clay Matthews, part two, in Von Miller.

April 20th, 2011, 7:28 pm
Varsity Captain

m2k hit it right on the head.

April 20th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next