View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Aldon Smith 
Team MVP

Post Aldon Smith
Whats everyones take on him? Recently, there have been several mock drafts and analysts that say the Lions are in love with him and could draft him. From what I've seen he looks like a good DE.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 19th, 2011, 11:30 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Aldon Smith
kdsberman wrote:
Whats everyones take on him? Recently, there have been several mock drafts and analysts that say the Lions are in love with him and could draft him. From what I've seen he looks like a good DE.

My favorite DE in this draft, 6-5 265, and at 20 years old probably still growing. Great quickness and explosion, and a huge wingspan. Short of trading back, if he's there at 13, I'll be hoping he's the pick.

April 20th, 2011, 12:18 am
RIP Killer

Aldon is very talented and I think if he would have stayed in school another year and bulked up a bit could have possibly been a top five pick in 2012 (he has two more years of eligibility) if he had a productive junior season. I'm working on my mock draft which I hope to post on Thursday, I'm up to the mid-20's now. I can say he was on the board for me when the Lions selection came up and did get quite a bit of consideration from me. And change or two in how my top 12 picks unfolded and he may have gotten the nod.

He was the Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year in 09' after being redshirted in 08' after putting up an impressive 60 tackles and 12 sacks. He dipped this last year down to six sacks. IMO he relies too heavily on one move (swim) and that caught up to him as a sophomore as well as a fractured fibula.

At 263-lbs and having run a 4.78 forty at the combine, many think he might also translate well to a 3-4 OLB in the pros. He will need to get a lot stronger and improve against the run to fit the Lions 4-3 scheme. The lack of experience makes me wonder how quickly he will ramp up in the pros. Given that along with his injury history and tweener tag make him one of those boom or bust type guys if you take him as early as 13 in the draft. I see him as being quite similar to Cliff Avril.

April 20th, 2011, 12:34 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I'm not that impressed with Aldon. He doesn't seem instinctive. Is always scanning for the ball instead of having a nose for it like a good DE does. He's really lanky, and despite the lack of bulk seems slow to me, and they want to add bulk to him. I'm not down for taking a player in the first round with the intent of transforming him. Projects are for later rounds.

I just get that Aaron Maybin feeling when I watch him. The bust quotient is high with this one.

April 20th, 2011, 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Is it just me or does he remind you a little of Kalimba Edwards? Tall, lanky and plays a little too upright. Dare I say his "pad level" isn't where it should be?? :oops:

The good news is that he seems very athletic and good in space. Also, he would only need to be a situational player at first until KVB retires The bad news is that unless he can put on some weight during that time, I think he'd get swallowed up in the pros.

April 20th, 2011, 12:09 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I agree with your Kalimba Edwards comparison steveo. I think he's one of those risk/reward type of players just based on how raw he is. People have been saying Jason Pierre-Paul is a fair comparison, and that he has a high ceiling like JPP (4.5 sacks, 6 pass batted down, 2 FF). That could be the truth, but he wouldn't beat out Cliff Avril if he's brought back, or any of the back-up DE's. I never really thought of him as a 4-3 end or lb. I think he'll end up making a transition to rush end/3-4 olb.

April 20th, 2011, 2:50 pm
RIP Killer

I think he gets taken by Houston at the 11th pick. They have nothing on their roster which will pass as an accomplished rush OLB for their defensive switch.

April 20th, 2011, 4:04 pm
Heisman Winner

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I agree with your Kalimba Edwards comparison steveo. I think he's one of those risk/reward type of players just based on how raw he is. People have been saying Jason Pierre-Paul is a fair comparison, and that he has a high ceiling like JPP (4.5 sacks, 6 pass batted down, 2 FF). That could be the truth, but he wouldn't beat out Cliff Avril if he's brought back, or any of the back-up DE's. I never really thought of him as a 4-3 end or lb. I think he'll end up making a transition to rush end/3-4 olb.

A bit raw and undersized IMO at this point. The fact that he's 20 is great news long term for the team willing to wait him out. I think we have one of those types in Willie Young though. 6' 5" 251 (last year's weight anyways). Hopefully he comes into camp about 10-15 pounds heavier. I'm real curious to see what he can do. He showed some pretty decent instinctual play in the preseason last year.

I think if you want to nab a DE in this draft, you go with the type that can be an every down type. I certainly like Bowers, Watt, and Jordan moreso as a future KVB replacement.

April 20th, 2011, 4:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The draftniks I've heard think he's one of the true 4-3 ends in the draft and would be a steal at 13. But who knows.

April 20th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

He played some at the 3 technique in college, so he's versatile, but I'm just underwhelmed with him and his production. Granted, production isn't everything, but I'd pass on him.

April 20th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]