View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Your Lions Big Board at 13 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Your Lions Big Board at 13
That's cool. I only offer what I see with my own eyes and obviously my perspective on these lb's is different from most. I enjoy the big hit as much as anyone else, but like you said those can be had later. We already got one in Zach Follet. Hardly starting material so far though.

My affinity for Ayers stems primarily from his knack for making plays and especially so on coverage. Also for someone who is always flying after the ball, and battling blockers in spite of being stuck on them, I just can't see the "softness" or the "shying away from contact" stigma. Believe me I've tried, but I just don't see what you guys are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36hhdBm9QU

On the other hand with Von Miller I see almost exactly the same player as Ryan Kerrigan. High motor effort guy. Now here's a guy who shy's away from contact. I mean he's a speed rusher so you can't really blame him, but all I see is a guy who uses the same speed rush to the outside to get around the tackle and he's always easily herded out of the play. He doesn't get stuck on blocks like Ayers does, but mostly because he's running away from the blocker and out of the play. People rave about his ability to cover, but from the handful of times he's dropped back I've seen nothing to comfortably hand him the label of "versatile" linebacker. I agree that he'll be best suited as a rush olb for a 3-4 and he will probably excel in it. But I don't think I've ever seen a one-dimensional tweener given so much love before.

April 20th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

then you should have seen him at the senior bowl where he showed for the first time he could excel in space as an outside linebacker in a 4-3.as for ayers i have seen alot of decent tape on the kid but way to often does he get washed out of plays or misses tackles by not being physical enough.not a bad late first round pick but in better draft years he would be a second round pick at best.

April 20th, 2011, 10:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

As I've said on a previous post, this years talent pool at LB leaves me wanting. That being said, if the Lions address LB in the 2nd, the only two possibilities I see, would be Bruce Carter or Ayers. Maybe these guys, if available, would be good value at 44. Neither is a sure thing, it's all based on potential. Both have upside. I suppose you could throw Martez Wilson in there as a possibility. If the Lions don't get a shot at one of them, I could see them not addressing LB til the 4th round, and at that point, they could all be projects. The LB that I've been impressed by the most, purely from watching him play would be Quan Sturdivant, instinctive and physical, could play weakside or middle, and could be available in the 3rd to 4th round area.

April 21st, 2011, 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4