View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Mayhew Pre-Draft Press Conference 
RIP Killer

Post Mayhew Pre-Draft Press Conference
Mayhew meet with the press, here are some snippets...

from MLive

Killer wrote:
ALLEN PARK - Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew opened his pre-draft press conference today by saying "I think we have a lot more needs than people realize.''

The Lions have the 13th overall pick in the first round and Mayhew said the Lions have targeted a group of "five to seven'' players they would consider with that choice. Mayhew, as always, will keep his options open in terms of either trading up or trading down.

In regard to Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith, Mayhew appeared to send some conflicting signals about whether the Lions would select him at No. 13. While Mayhew spoke highly of his meeting with Smith and heard some good information on his research of him, Mayhew also talked about the importance of character. Another interesting aspect to this is the lockout and Mayhew said it's a consideration because there are some players you feel good about not seeing for awhile and some that you don't. (Mayhew was not speaking directly about Smith when answering this question.)

Also, Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, who is considered a top five talent, might slip in the draft because of concerns that he might required microfracture knee surgery. While Mayhew admitted that Bowers was not in "pristine'' condition right now, he said the Lions don't' have any concerns that he'll be able to play football in the future.

From Dave Birkett's (Free) Twitter:

Quote:
Mayhew said Lions will be looking at a group of "probably somewhere between 5 and 7" players if they stay at 13.

Quote:
Mayhew on Bowers: "I think there’s some concern abou this medical. Our doctors have evaluated" him

More Mayhew on Bowers: I would say he’s not in pristine physical condition right now but Lions not concerned about his future in football

Quote:
Mayhew said draft is deep is in DL, Lions could add there.

Quote:
Mayhew said he talked w/Ashley Ambrose, ex-Col DB coach, about Jimmy Smith. Only said good things. Wrote something w/Ambrose myself last mnt

Mayhew on Jimmy Smith: “We’ve done a lot of work on Jimmy and I feel better about him than I did before I met him."

April 21st, 2011, 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Mayhew Pre-Draft Press Conference
Bowers+Suh = Dynasty, baby.

April 21st, 2011, 4:45 pm
NFL Veteran

Assuming a clean bill of health.

I agree.

April 21st, 2011, 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Bowers+Suh = Dynasty, baby.

I'm not so sure. I've heard from more than just our own "allenslions" that Bowers' knee is not looking very healthy for a man his age. For a DE to have a bum knee at this young age.....taking him at #13 overall is just TOO great a risk for a team that needs this years picks to get over the hump and last a few years at a strong level.

I think pairing Suh with just about anybody is gonna give us a dynasty. I want the Lions to take the best player on their board at that pick, and I hope that player isn't Bowers. At one time I would have never dreamed he would slip down to us, now I hope he doesn't.

April 21st, 2011, 9:22 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Quote:
Mayhew on Bowers: "I think there’s some concern abou this medical. Our doctors have evaluated" him

More Mayhew on Bowers: I would say he’s not in pristine physical condition right now but Lions not concerned about his future in football

Mayhew's lack of concern could be because he doesn't plan on drafting him. Or it could be just smoke. I don't read anything into any comments made prior to the draft.

April 21st, 2011, 9:38 pm
NFL Veteran

Conversely, the lack of concern could mean they believe he'll recover. Obviously he's not pristine being a few months away from surgery. I guess if they do draft him, that must mean the doctors gave Mayhew the thumbs up signal.

April 21st, 2011, 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Interesting Mayhew quotes via Detnews:

"It's a safe bet we won't have the same six (picks)when it's all said and done," Mayhew said.

:shock: A whole lot of conviction in that statement. Is he trying to fan the flames of interest of other teams in that #13 pick?

"The great thing about the draft is you don't know how it's going to go," he said. "The fact that a lot of teams seem to need a quarterback could lead to more trades in the first or second round. I've had some contact with a couple of teams and we will keep our options open. We can go up and we can go back. We've made calls on both ends of that."

I know, I know, don't pay attention to the fluff right now but it certainly seems by these statements that he's actively seeking a dance partner for trade.

April 22nd, 2011, 8:07 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Whether the rumors were true or not sbout Bowers needing microfracture surgery I wouldn't touch him if there was any chance he might at some point down the road. Playing DE (especially if they know he has a bum knee) he is going to have guys diving at his knees constantly. Even if he never has an issue is he going to be playing every game worrying about that knee and will that hurt his play on the field? I'm also not a fan of DEs that have just one good year. I've also noticed he lined up quite a bit over the RT, how will he do against NFL LTs? He seems like a really good kid and I hope he has a great career whether he's a Lion or not, but I'd rather the Lions passed on himif he were there at 13.

April 22nd, 2011, 8:22 am
Rookie Player of the Year

When I heard that I immediately suspected Mayhew was trying to get the Vikes to draft Bowers. 8)

April 22nd, 2011, 9:09 am
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
When I heard that I immediately suspected Mayhew was trying to get the Vikes to draft Bowers. 8)

OH NO! That's not good. TLB and I had the same thought. LOL.

April 22nd, 2011, 9:22 am
NFL Veteran

Seifart wrote:
Lions: Prince Amukamara or Jimmy Smith?
April, 22, 2011
Apr 22
11:15
AM ET

* Email
* Print
* Comments10

By Kevin Seifert
In my continuing efforts to muddy the water around the Detroit Lions' No. 13 overall pick, I throw out the following scenario. Let's say the Lions agree that cornerback is their biggest need and that no surprise players -- i.e. Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers or USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith -- drop into their lap.

Lions' Secondary Depth Lacking

The Lions had an effective pass rush last season, recording a sack once every 13.5 dropbacks, the fifth-best rate in the league. However, if the pass rush wasn't successful, the Lions' pass defense struggled, especially with extra defensive backs on the field. Here's how the Lions' pass defense fared with five or more DBs in 2010:
NFL Rank
Comp pct 63.8 27th
Yards/att 7.6 31st
Passer rtg 88.6 27th
Source: ESPN Stats & Information
So with the Lions on the clock, the top two cornerbacks available are Nebraska's Prince Amukamara and Colorado's Jimmy Smith. We've discussed Amukamara as the obvious choice in that situation, mostly because of the character concerns that reportedly have caused teams to dig deep into Smith's background. But with the draft less than a week away, how sure are we that the Lions rank Amukamara higher than Smith?

We know the Lions brought Smith to their practice facility last month for a visit, and on Thursday, general manager Martin Mayhew told reporters "we've done a lot of work on Jimmy." Given the period of misinformation we're in, everything else Mayhew said about the subject has to be considered accordingly.

With that said, I'm inclined to believe Smith is very much in play for the Lions. Would they take him over Amukamara? I don't know. But here's the way Mayhew described his position based on his talk with Smith and a conversation with Smith's former position coach, Ashley Ambrose.

"We keep our options open," Mayhew said. "I had a great talk with Jimmy. I felt like after meeting him I felt much better about him as a player. I spoke with his position coach, Ashley Ambrose, who is now coaching at Cal. [He] had nothing but great things to say about him. We've done a lot of work on Jimmy and I feel better about him than I did before I met him."

Mayhew acknowledged that some college coaches might gloss over negatives in their players but said: "I've called coaches and I've gotten the warning signs. ... They may not kill a player, but they'll say enough about a player that you'll know there's a cause for concern. I did not get that with Jimmy Smith, or with Ashley Ambrose talking about Jimmy Smith."

Mayhew's relative optimism coincides with what Kevin Weidl recently wrote on his Scouts Inc. draft blog . Here's a snippet:

Scouts I've talked to recently have also said that the more they dig, the more comfortable they are getting with Smith's off-field character and any potential risk involved in drafting him. And let's be clear that the character issues are the only thing holding him back at this point.

There is no questioning Smith's overall physical talent. He has an impressive frame (6-foot-2¼, 211 pounds) and shows great athleticism, balance and fluidity for his size. He also has good instincts and an ability to turn and run with receivers downfield, displaying good closing burst/recovery speed to make up ground when the ball is in the air.

I'm guessing Amukamara is a safer pick, but I wouldn't call Mayhew risk-averse. Consider the Amukamara-Smith question another twist for us to chew on over the next few days.

I think now more than ever am I hoping for a trade down to pick up another pick or two. After the Lions, the next landing spot for Jimmy Smith is another 10 spots or so later. Pick up Jimmy Smith a little later. Give me Ras-I in the 2nd. Extra picks help shore up other areas of needs/strengthen positions of strength. Boom. Great draft.

April 22nd, 2011, 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]