View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Goose's Mock Draft #1 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Goose's Mock Draft #1
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Right. VY won games and lost his damn mind. He's not necessarily going to light up the stat sheet, but if he can be the guy to guide a team to a win then he's got value. I don't know if the comparison is a fair one. VY had a lot more elusiveness then Newton, and Newton has a better throwing motion and mechanics. Big, black, and fast is about where the comparison ends. I think he's more of a Ben Roethlisberger then a VY.

Newton had better rushing stats and IMO has just as good elusiveness. I don' see his decision making and throwing like Ben. I am down on "dual threat" QB's no matter what color they are. Plummer, etc. Elusive is one thing, winning the game on your legs is another. Vick didn't become what he did until he learned to slow down and throw the ball well. Unfortunetly it took a trip to jail for Vick to have time to figure that out.

The NFL has tried dual threats and they don't work out. You have to be a good or great passer AND MAYBE elusive can help make a good passer great. I never like dual threat QB's... they don't seem to work out but on rare occasions when the passing ability shines through over the running ability.

April 21st, 2011, 11:38 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

"Dual Threat" is usually not even a term you hear associated with even the best running QB's. Yes, they can beat you with their feet, but very rarely are plays called for the QB to run. If they are flushed from the pocket and they take off, then it's nice to have a guy that can get you a first down. Would you call Steve Young a dual threat? He had 4200+ rushing yards and 43 TD's running in his career. But when you think of his HOF career, you think of him in the pocket. Cunningham had only 700 more rush yards and 8 LESS TD's, but that's the first thing you think about (at least I do) is his ability to make plays with his feet. (And how good "QB Eagles" was in Tecmo Super Bowl on Nintendo)

I'm with you about not liking the Dual Threat Qb's in the NFL. Every running QB realizes at some point in there career that they need to stay in the pocket to be successful and healthy. You need to think about what Newton, Gabbert, and Locker are going to be when they realize this. Who's going to have a better career if you take away the stats and highlights of these three's running ability in college?

April 21st, 2011, 12:06 pm
RIP Killer

I agree Wayne, good post. People love to gauk over potential instaed of looking at what a guy already has. He does not impress me throwing the ball...

April 21st, 2011, 12:25 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I agree Wayne, good post. People love to gauk over potential instaed of looking at what a guy already has. He does not impress me throwing the ball...

Reports were that during his private workout, he didn't display great accuracy. He was highly inconsistent, from what I remember. Some throws were right on the money, some the receiver had to adjust, and others were not close. In a workout where there is no pass rush and just a stop watch measuring your drop back and release times, that's pretty piss poor.

Hence the reason I simply can't understand why he's even in the mix for the top overall pick. Carolina should be focusing on Gabbert, IMO. Goose likely has Newton going to Carolina because that is the inidication that the Panthers have been throwing out there. Is Carolina looking to convince someone to trade up for Newton? Possibly.....

April 21st, 2011, 12:34 pm
RIP Killer

I don't get Newton #1 overall either but with that said, I think in the future there will be very athletic QBs who can move the chains through the air or on the ground. Michael Vick is a very unique athlete today, but I don't think he will be so unique in the future. And Vick is just 6'0", I can imagine a 6'4" version someday - that would be scary to try to defend. The quarterback position will continue to evolve just as the game does.

April 21st, 2011, 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
I don't get Newton #1 overall either but with that said, I think in the future there will be very athletic QBs who can move the chains through the air or on the ground. Michael Vick is a very unique athlete today, but I don't think he will be so unique in the future. And Vick is just 6'0", I can imagine a 6'4" version someday - that would be scary to try to defend. The quarterback position will continue to evolve just as the game does.

Pryor is 6'5" and just as fast or faster. if Pryor wants to even think about touching Vick he has to get better passing. At least Vick has the arm, he just needed to make better decisions. I don't see the skills there for Newton.

April 21st, 2011, 4:24 pm
NFL Veteran

I think Goose has earned all the respect and credibility he deserves.

So we can disagree with his talent evaluating skills, but it's the same for everyone. No one knows. We all hit and miss.

But where he has earned the right to be heard is in his uncanny ability to get the inside information (and sort through the smokescreens) of every teams war room, and nail their picks with a high degree of accuracy.

See the final Mock Draft.

April 21st, 2011, 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Very simply if the draft fell this way - I'd take Da'Quan Bowers. Nate Solder is considered along with Cam Newton to be the biggest boom or bust prospect in the first round. If you're going to gamble it makes more sense to gamble on Bowers.

I can see passing on the DE if they don't fit your scheme since Watt, Jordan, Kerrigan, Smith might all be better suited for a 3-4 defense unlike Bowers who is ideal for one.

April 23rd, 2011, 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2