View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 1:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Offensive Tackles 
Team MVP

Post Re: Offensive Tackles
I could be wrong, and probably will be..but I just CANNOT seem Prince falling to 13. I think if the Lions really wanted Prince they would have to trade with Dallas, for example, if they want him. Just my opinion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
I could be wrong, and probably will be..but I just CANNOT seem Prince falling to 13. I think if the Lions really wanted Prince they would have to trade with Dallas, for example, if they want him. Just my opinion.

Probably a smoke screen as usual this time of year regarding draft picks, but... Dallas is interested in that OT from USC.. Tyrone something.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 28th, 2011, 1:44 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

You better call Tyrone...Call him! (anyone? anyone?)

His name is Tyron Smith, and apparently he's going to blow up his pro day and is weighing somewhere in the vicinity of 315lbs. He could be the one they take at 9, and if so, that drops Prince down a spot (if he's not gone by then). However, if that happens, I think the Lions need to go to 10 so the Texans don't take Prince. He would definitely fill a huge hole for them and I don't think they'd bat an eyelash at taking him; unless Von Miller falls (which probably won't happen). I don't think Aldon Smith would entice them enough to not take Prince.

March 28th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Wayne Fontes wrote:

His name is Tyron Smith, and apparently he's going to blow up his pro day and is weighing somewhere in the vicinity of 315lbs. He could be the one they take at 9, and if so, that drops Prince down a spot (if he's not gone by then). However, if that happens, I think the Lions need to go to 10 so the Texans don't take Prince. He would definitely fill a huge hole for them and I don't think they'd bat an eyelash at taking him; unless Von Miller falls (which probably won't happen). I don't think Aldon Smith would entice them enough to not take Prince.

Hold up,......But you can't use my phone

March 28th, 2011, 2:32 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

If the Lions trade up I will be so disappointed.

March 28th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Killwill25 wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

Hold up,......But you can't use my phone

Good. I'm glad somebody got the Badu reference.

March 28th, 2011, 4:03 pm

8)

March 28th, 2011, 9:13 pm
QB Coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -lymphoma/

Marcus Cannon, an OT/G second round prospect was daignosed with lymphoma. He will have to undergo chemo with recovery times ranging from 12-24 weeks. After which he hopefully can resume his football career. My thoughts and prayers are with this young man. Hopefully someone will take a shot on him in the later rounds. I wouldn't hate it if we did.

April 26th, 2011, 2:39 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/source-marcus-cannon-tests-positive-for-lymphoma/

Marcus Cannon, an OT/G second round prospect was daignosed with lymphoma. He will have to undergo chemo with recovery times ranging from 12-24 weeks. After which he hopefully can resume his football career. My thoughts and prayers are with this young man. Hopefully someone will take a shot on him in the later rounds. I wouldn't hate it if we did.

He has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, so it is a highly curable form of it. Four chemo treatments, with a 90% success rate. It may hurt his draft stock, but not critically (or at least it shouldn't).

April 26th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Still drops him, unfortunately for him. It's a good thing that they found it when they did. I hope he can recover from this, but he might be a good late round pick.

April 26th, 2011, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Still drops him, unfortunately for him. It's a good thing that they found it when they did. I hope he can recover from this, but he might be a good late round pick.

I highly doubt it drops him that far. If nothing else, I predict it will drop him from being an early to mid second round pick to about the same in the third, at most. There are a number of players that have some sort of medical condition, or past medical history, that hasn't dropped them that far.

April 26th, 2011, 9:20 pm
Div 1 - Starter

i feel bad for the kid, and i hate to even mention it but he is probably gonna fall way down the board to maybe not being drafted at all. i would assume that the treatment is not gonna be anything short term and its gonna take a lot out of him to where it could possibly be years before he could ever get on the field and its a question mark if he will be the same player. now im no doctor but kemo (i have no clue how to spell it) is no minor treatment. that is some nasty stuff. i wish the kid the best of luck and hope he can make a speedy recovery and that he does get drafted and has a nice career

April 26th, 2011, 10:08 pm
RIP Killer

vankman79 wrote:
i feel bad for the kid, and i hate to even mention it but he is probably gonna fall way down the board to maybe not being drafted at all. i would assume that the treatment is not gonna be anything short term and its gonna take a lot out of him to where it could possibly be years before he could ever get on the field and its a question mark if he will be the same player. now im no doctor but kemo (i have no clue how to spell it) is no minor treatment. that is some nasty stuff. i wish the kid the best of luck and hope he can make a speedy recovery and that he does get drafted and has a nice career

You are making more of it than what it really is. My father had cancer and passed away from it, and went through surgeries and chemo therapy in the process. There are different types of medicine used in the treatments, with some being relatively mild and others being pretty radical in their effects on people. Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma is not a serious malady, in comparison to other forms of benign cancer, and modern medicine has a very high success rate in curing it. Is it possible that it gets worse in him, despite the treatments? Yes. But he's no more at risk of having it return than any other player is of contracting a more serious form of cancer without detection until it's too late.

Given what is known about this malady, its treatment and its effect on people, Cannon likely will be fine by training camp. If the CBA gets resolved soon, he'll miss some time in the rookie camps, that's a given. But I don't see him going undrafted, or slipping any more than one round from where he normally would have been selected.

April 27th, 2011, 10:09 am
RIP Killer

http://www.freep.com/article/20110427/S ... 1049/rss14

Quote:
OL Bill Castonzo could be a steal for Lions at No. 13

For years, Bill Castonzo has been offering his son, Anthony, the same piece of fatherly coaching advice: Get nasty.

Last month, when he returned home from his Boston College pro day, one of the draft's best offensive linemen finally figured out why.

Father popped in an old film of his playing days at Illinois, and son watched with amusement.

"It was hilarious because they were in, like, sprinter stances and they'd just fire out straight at each other and just hit each other," Castonzo said. "I'm like, 'So this is why you're telling me I've got to be nasty because regardless of what happens, this defensive lineman runs straight into you and you run straight into him. It's whoever's nastier wins.' "

A four-year starter for the Eagles, Castonzo has earned a reputation not for his mean streak but as a top technician.

He played both right and left tackle at Boston College -- the former as a freshman on the same line with current Lions tackle Gosder Cherilus -- and has made a remarkable rise to probable first-round pick after leaving high school with no scholarship offers.

"I was a 6-foot-7, 220-pound drink of water," Castonzo said of his high school days. "Every school that I talked to said, 'We don't think you're going to get big enough.' So I went to Fork Union Military Academy and got big enough."

Castonzo, who added 25 pounds in his post-graduate year at Fork Union, set a school record with 54 straight starts at Boston College, a handful of them coming against two of the draft's top pass rushers, Robert Quinn of North Carolina and Da'Quan Bowers of Clemson.

Castonzo held his own in both matchups, and as a senior kept Bowers, the NCAA sack leader, without so much as a quarterback hurry.

"If you want to look at the way he plays the game, the way he rose to the occasion against Da'Quan Bowers, and if you look at the intelligence and the way he approaches the game, I think it's very impressive," Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki said. "He's got a consistent demeanor about him, and I think he's a guy that you can trust and plug in for the next 10 to 12 years and feel very comfortable with what you're getting. From a safety standpoint, I think teams are going to feel more comfortable pulling his name off the board first (among offensive linemen)."

Castonzo could go as high as No. 9 to the Cowboys or slip into the 20s, and depending on how things break the Lions might consider him in the first round at No. 13.

If that happens, Castonzo could rejoin Cherilus on the line, or maybe even replace his college mentor, who's coming off microfracture knee surgery.

"Playing with Gos again would be awesome," Castonzo said. "I'd be coming in, I'd be the new guy and he'd let me know that it's the NFL and we don't accept anything less than success, so it'd probably be like the same situation all over again. It'd be kind of nice."

As many as four other offensive tackles could go in the first round, including USC's Tyron Smith, another possibility at 13 for the Lions. But former Rams front-office executive Tony Softli said Castonzo should be the first lineman off the board.

"I like his size, I like his length. He can anchor," said Softli, now an analyst with 101 ESPN Radio in St. Louis. "He handles the pass rush, the bull rush real well. Sometimes his pad level rises a little bit, but he gets it back down. He's got good hand placement. And he's got good feet. He's not fooled often.

"This is a passing league now, so you've got to be able to protect that passer, and his run blocking -- he can sink his hips and get on and finish. I think he's got to get a little bit wider base and work on that, but I think he's probably the most complete tackle in the first round."

April 27th, 2011, 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20110427/SPORTS01/104270440/1049/rss14

Quote:
OL Bill Castonzo could be a steal for Lions at No. 13

For years, Bill Castonzo has been offering his son, Anthony, the same piece of fatherly coaching advice: Get nasty.

Last month, when he returned home from his Boston College pro day, one of the draft's best offensive linemen finally figured out why.

Father popped in an old film of his playing days at Illinois, and son watched with amusement.

"It was hilarious because they were in, like, sprinter stances and they'd just fire out straight at each other and just hit each other," Castonzo said. "I'm like, 'So this is why you're telling me I've got to be nasty because regardless of what happens, this defensive lineman runs straight into you and you run straight into him. It's whoever's nastier wins.' "

A four-year starter for the Eagles, Castonzo has earned a reputation not for his mean streak but as a top technician.

He played both right and left tackle at Boston College -- the former as a freshman on the same line with current Lions tackle Gosder Cherilus -- and has made a remarkable rise to probable first-round pick after leaving high school with no scholarship offers.

"I was a 6-foot-7, 220-pound drink of water," Castonzo said of his high school days. "Every school that I talked to said, 'We don't think you're going to get big enough.' So I went to Fork Union Military Academy and got big enough."

Castonzo, who added 25 pounds in his post-graduate year at Fork Union, set a school record with 54 straight starts at Boston College, a handful of them coming against two of the draft's top pass rushers, Robert Quinn of North Carolina and Da'Quan Bowers of Clemson.

Castonzo held his own in both matchups, and as a senior kept Bowers, the NCAA sack leader, without so much as a quarterback hurry.

"If you want to look at the way he plays the game, the way he rose to the occasion against Da'Quan Bowers, and if you look at the intelligence and the way he approaches the game, I think it's very impressive," Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki said. "He's got a consistent demeanor about him, and I think he's a guy that you can trust and plug in for the next 10 to 12 years and feel very comfortable with what you're getting. From a safety standpoint, I think teams are going to feel more comfortable pulling his name off the board first (among offensive linemen)."

Castonzo could go as high as No. 9 to the Cowboys or slip into the 20s, and depending on how things break the Lions might consider him in the first round at No. 13.

If that happens, Castonzo could rejoin Cherilus on the line, or maybe even replace his college mentor, who's coming off microfracture knee surgery.

"Playing with Gos again would be awesome," Castonzo said. "I'd be coming in, I'd be the new guy and he'd let me know that it's the NFL and we don't accept anything less than success, so it'd probably be like the same situation all over again. It'd be kind of nice."

As many as four other offensive tackles could go in the first round, including USC's Tyron Smith, another possibility at 13 for the Lions. But former Rams front-office executive Tony Softli said Castonzo should be the first lineman off the board.

"I like his size, I like his length. He can anchor," said Softli, now an analyst with 101 ESPN Radio in St. Louis. "He handles the pass rush, the bull rush real well. Sometimes his pad level rises a little bit, but he gets it back down. He's got good hand placement. And he's got good feet. He's not fooled often.

"This is a passing league now, so you've got to be able to protect that passer, and his run blocking -- he can sink his hips and get on and finish. I think he's got to get a little bit wider base and work on that, but I think he's probably the most complete tackle in the first round."

What's funny here is that the FREEP has a poll of who the Lions should take with their first pick, on of the choices is MSU's CB Chris Rucker - what?

April 27th, 2011, 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next