View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Jimmy Smith Issues 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Jimmy Smith Issues
allenslions wrote:
what a bunch of bunk by a hack writer.the only real issue's jimmy had was the 2 arrests and the one failed drug test.this hack writer is just spreading team bullshit.the same thing happened to warren sapp the day before the draft.these news guys looking for a story gets slipped some false info from teams and they spread it like wild fire.

So you think he made up that 11 personal people wouldn't take Smith in the first two rounds? The three failed drug test was made up by this author? Abortions?

What does the fact that he skipped the Senior Bowl say?

April 27th, 2011, 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

allenslions wrote:
what a bunch of bunk by a hack writer.the only real issue's jimmy had was the 2 arrests and the one failed drug test.this hack writer is just spreading team bullshit.the same thing happened to warren sapp the day before the draft.these news guys looking for a story gets slipped some false info from teams and they spread it like wild fire.

Are we to expect first-rounders to have two arrests and a positive drug test? That is a rap sheet that can't be ignored, especially when you are about to hand a 22-year old a multi-million dollar check. Those are three huge red flags. I could see taking a risk on a guy with one red flag if it seems he's learned from his error and the team is genuinely convinced the behavior has been corrected. Given the importance of first-round picks, I wouldn't take the risk on a player with two or three red flags.

I'm not saying Smith won't be drafted in the first round but there is sufficient reason for teams to take him completely off their draft boards. Who knows? Maybe the kid has cleaned up and will be the next Charles Woodson...but drafting him in round 1 would have to be a calculated risk.

April 27th, 2011, 4:42 pm
RIP Killer

He's had two arrest and a failed drug test and that is minimal issues? Huh?

April 27th, 2011, 4:44 pm
RIP Killer

I agree mwill2. I also think it depends on your team situation and where you are picking. If you are a SB contender one shut down corner away picking late in the first round it might make sense. When you are putting together a young team that you hope to start contending over the next few years and picking in the top half of the first round this seems like too big of a risk to take.

Also, can you imagine Mayhew walking into Ford's office in a year or two and trying to explain why he took this guy who just went Talib given all the red flags he had when you took him in the first place.

I love the kids talent, I just can't overlook the baggage given the Lions current status and draft slot.

April 27th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

ok i.m done defending him go ahead by into what the media is feeding you they never make stuff up do they.and if detroit does pass on him i hope for there sake dowling is still there for them.trust me ravens fans will love having smith on that defense.without a major upgrade to the secondary your looking at another 6-10 season and believe me thats just what the local media wants.they love the turmoil it keeps people calling to complain.and pablo i guess he will have to explain his bust ot pick too.with smith he has top 10 talent not mid second round talent of this offensive tackle group.

April 27th, 2011, 5:33 pm
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:
ok i.m done defending him go ahead by into what the media is feeding you they never make stuff up do they.and if detroit does pass on him i hope for there sake dowling is still there for them.trust me ravens fans will love having smith on that defense.without a major upgrade to the secondary your looking at another 6-10 season and believe me thats just what the local media wants.they love the turmoil it keeps people calling to complain.and pablo i guess he will have to explain his bust ot pick too.with smith he has top 10 talent not mid second round talent of this offensive tackle group.

No one is questioning talent here, Smith is beyond talented. The question is a guy whos has been arrested twice and failed a drug test.

If you feel he has turned a corner, can you tell us why? That seems like inside info that none of us here can vouch for. Some teams have him off their draft board all together. In a league where this stuff can get your playing time reduced, it isn't something to screw around with.

April 27th, 2011, 6:13 pm
NFL Veteran

I think the timing of this article is interesting. It's no secret that teams let this stuff out as a personal agenda. They hope to tank a players stock so they can get him for cheaper.

The reality is that all teams already knew about the actual and alleged transgressions of Jimmy Smith. This stuff was probably common knowledge to teams who were interested in him during the combine. That's why there were media reported character issues in the first place. We are only getting light of the details on the eve of the draft and giving an instant reaction to what seems like a revelation. Within the last couple of weeks there were reports of teams feeling more comfortable with said issues. That includes comments from our own GM Mayhew. And the truth is that the decision to believe that he's moved on by certain teams is after the fact. He hasn't committed all these sins yesterday.

Quote:
“It’s obvious everybody knows I made some mistakes,” Smith said after his pro day in March. “People think I have bad character, which I think is a misconception. I think it’s bad decisions, not bad character.

Smith added, “When I go talk to the teams, it’s a situation. It’s just me explaining to them I was young, made some immature mistakes, but I’m past that now. I’m ready to be a professional.”

Regardless of what is reported today, I made a decision on Smith based on listening to him speak and trying to judge his character on that. The thing is he is an articulate and intelligent kid. (He's actually one of the most well-spoken prospects in the entire draft IMO). And I have to say that listening to him I believe he's capable of moving on. I guess the question is if he truly is sincere or he's just got that ability to tell you what you want to hear. I would probably follow suit with most here if he had a personality like that of Dez Bryant or Pacman Jones, but he doesn't, so even though it's a gamble, I'm giving him another chance. (God knows I've needed them).

April 27th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

like i said i have talked to the kid more then a few times and i dont see him as a bad kid.unlike pacman who came off as a real punk.but with every kid with a past you gamble but if you win with him you win big very big.and as long as you structure his contract correctly if he does get in trouble all you loose is a 1rd pick.

April 27th, 2011, 8:02 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

allenslions wrote:
like i said i have talked to the kid more then a few times and i dont see him as a bad kid.unlike pacman who came off as a real punk.but with every kid with a past you gamble but if you win with him you win big very big.and as long as you structure his contract correctly if he does get in trouble all you loose is a 1rd pick.

The Lions have blown their share 1st rounders. In all fairness, there is so much misinformation that you can't believe anything you read.

April 27th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Varsity Captain

the jimmy smith question may be a non issue as i think mayhew is gonna get a sweet deal from atlanta and take dowling

April 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

allenslions wrote:
the jimmy smith question may be a non issue as i think mayhew is gonna get a sweet deal from atlanta and take dowling

Who is Atlanta after?

April 27th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Varsity Captain

julio jones they have it bad for him.

April 27th, 2011, 9:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The problem is if you're a smooth talker you can BS your way through just about anything, especially an interview. I have two good friemds that were in more trouble than most when they were younger and even smoked more than enough weed. Today they are both in law enforcement with one of them now a high ranking officer on the border patrol. Both were drilled extensively and given lie detector test about their past and whether they had ever used illegal drugs and both passed with flying colors. I have another friend that had little to no experience in anything except working at GAP with no college education and he smooth talked his way into a position with Apple where he is now in charge of setting up and opening every new store around the world, cha-ching.

Is Smith sincere? Maybe. Unfortunately Detroit is making good progress rebuilding their team and losing a 1st round pick because he gets suspended would set them back. If they could move back and get an extra 2nd rounder and still get him go for it but not at #13. From what I saw from him on the field he has the skills but he scares me because at times I saw too much of the bad Antonio Cromartie in him. Now if these two abortions are true he might be like Cromartie off the field as well.

The scary thing is when players are like this before they get to the NFL you have to wonder what they will be like when they get paid. How is he going to handle having millions of dollars, women throwing themselves at him, and more down time than he knows what to do with? I'd gamble with an extra 2nd as compensation, but not at #13. At this point I see a good CB that could have flashes but fizzle or he could be great. I'm concerned how he will do against NFL receivers and QBs with great timing and great route running.

Last year I was leading the draft McCourty campaign because the kid jumped off the TV and you could tell he loved the game and the same goes for Flowers a few years earlier. This year's top three CBs just don't give me that same excitement. I like their potential and Peterson offers help in the return and even if he found a way to flounder at CB he would be a heck of a FS, but Prince and Jimmy just don't pop out to me. Like I said I'd draft them if the Lions found a way to get at least an extra 2nd rounder but that's the only way. The other CBs I like that may be great or at best be #2 or#3 CBs, but will cost much less are in no particular order Dowling, Carmichael, Harris, House, and Marsh.

April 27th, 2011, 9:44 pm
RIP Killer

B-I-N-G-O... Kid is a sweet talker, master of telling everyone of what they want to hear. Remember Mike Williams, he was exactly the same.

I believe in second chances just like everyone else. But I also believe in learning from your mistakes. Multiple abortions, Multiple drinking issues, Multiple failed drug tests. That is NOT learning from your mistakes and this isn't a second chance, it is about his 10th.

His failure to show at the Senior Bowl speaks volumes about his attitude and competitiveness IMO. This was his chance to spend a week around NFL coaches and show what he is really like as a team mate and in the locker room. But he decided to skip it, bad move.

I'm not comfortable giving a kid like this millions of dollars and praying he behaves. Not at 13 for sure, and not for the Lions.

allenslions, I hope you are right about Dowling, that would be a sweet deal indeed.

April 27th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I cant believe that you guys are all buying into that 1 article talking about all them issues. for 1 thing i believe allen when he says that wasnt the case. second of all i have been listening to people including mike mayock say that teams werent that worried about jimmys character issues. who ever was that authors source is the guy sitting there chuckling right now while everybody goes into "oh my god" mode and he will be sitting there waiting to draft jimmy if he should fall down to him. its pretty amazing that we have had how many days leading up to this draft and all of a sudden the day before this report come out, come on are you all really buying that? maybe allen could clarify this but i think i heard he got into all this trouble 3 years ago. so if thats true he has gone years without problem. thats called learning the hard way and growing up.

======================================================SMOKE SCREEN===================================================

April 27th, 2011, 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next