View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Goose's Final Mock Draft - WOW! 
RIP Killer

Post Goose's Final Mock Draft - WOW!
1st pick: Carolina Panthers
Cam Newton -- QB, Auburn

The Panthers had the worst quarterbacking in the NFL last season with only nine TD passes in 16 games. Newton gives the Panthers a chance, although his legs are likely to carry him through his rookie season.
(Team needs: QB, WR, CB, DL)

2nd pick: Denver Broncos
Von Miller -- OLB, Texas A&M

New coach John Fox is switching to a 4-3 defense and needs tackles and linebackers. He can get competitive tackles into the third round. But there’s only one impact linebacker in this draft. Miller is the value here.
(Team needs: DL, OT, TE, LB)

3rd pick: Buffalo Bills
Marcell Dareus -- DT, Alabama

The Bills finished last in the NFL in run defense in 2010. They need some bigger, nastier players to line up against the Jets and Pats. In Dareus, they land the best run defender in this draft. He also brings an attitude.
(Team needs: QB, DL, OT, LB)

4th pick: Cincinnati Bengals
A.J. Green -- WR, Georgia

This is the only shot the Bengals have of luring Carson Palmer out of retirement. Draft the best receiver in college football, release Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens, and give Palmer a clean canvas to resume his career.
(Team needs: QB, WR, CB, pass rusher)

5th pick: Arizona Cardinals
Patrick Peterson -- CB, LSU

When you finish 31st in offense and 29th in defense like the Cardinals of 2010, anyone you draft is going to be an upgrade. Peterson is a huge upgrade for the secondary. Arizona is surprised to see him still on the board at 5.
(Team needs: QB, LB, pass rusher, OT)

6th pick: Cleveland Browns
Julio Jones -- WR, Alabama

The Browns need a lead receiver to accelerate the development of QB Colt McCoy. Voila — Jones was a walk-in starter at Alabama, and he’ll be a walk-in starter at Cleveland. He averaged almost 15 yards per career catch.
(Team needs: WR, CB, OT, DE)

7th pick: San Francisco 49ers
Blaine Gabbert -- QB, Missouri

Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback maker — first Josh Johnson at the University of San Diego and then Andrew Luck at Stanford. In his first year as head coach of the 49ers, Harbaugh wants a quarterback he can build a team around.
(Team needs: QB, G, def. playmakers)

8th pick: Tennessee Titans
Jake Locker -- QB, Washington

The Titans want to put the Vince Young era behind them. Locker provides Tennessee a key element Young lacked — leadership. Locker was a two-year captain at Washington and a very charismatic player.
(Team needs: QB, DL, LB, S)

9th pick: Dallas Cowboys
Tyron Smith -- OT, Southern Cal

The Cowboys have four starters on the offensive line who turn 32 this season. This group needs to get younger — and what better way than to select the youngest player in this draft? Smith turns 21 in December.
(Team needs: OT, G, DE, CB)

10th pick: Washington Redskins
Christian Ponder -- QB, Florida State

Mike Shanahan is not going to enter a second season with Donovan McNabb, so the Redskins spent all day Wednesday trying to move up. Gabbert was the target. Failing there, they take the next best QB on the board.
(Team needs: QB, WR, CB, youth)

11th pick: Houston Texans
Aldon Smith -- DE, Missouri

The Texans are switching to a 3-4 defensive scheme, and Smith can play anywhere in it. He has the frame to bulk up to play end or the speed and athleticism to play linebacker. The NFL’s 30th-ranked defense needs help.
(Team needs: DL, LB, DB, WR)

12th pick: Minnesota Vikings
Andy Dalton -- QB, TCU

Like the Titans, the Vikings need to draft a rookie quarterback and play him immediately. Dalton brings a wealth of experience — four years as a starter, 42 career victories and more than 1,300 career passes.
(Team needs: QB, DL, OT, CB)

13th pick: Detroit Lions
Nick Fairley -- DT, Auburn

Ndamukong Suh was perhaps the best defensive tackle in the NFL as a rookie in 2011. Adding Fairley makes Suh even better. Fairley is the best inside pass rusher in this draft. The Lions are building a formidable front.
(Team needs: LB, CB, OT, WR)

14th pick: St. Louis Rams
Mark Ingram -- HB, Alabama

The Rams would love to draft a wide receiver for Sam Bradford, but there are none worthy of this selection. St. Louis will continue to give Bradford weapons, though — the best running back in this draft.
(Team needs: Pass rusher, CB, WR, S)

15th pick: Miami Dolphins
Mike Pouncey -- C, Florida

The only need the Dolphins can still address here is the offensive line, and Pouncey gives them two-position versatility. Like his brother Maurkice, a first-round pick of the Steelers in 2010, Mike can play guard or center.
(Team needs: OL, OLB, CB, QB)

16th pick: Jacksonville Jaguars
Ryan Kerrigan -- DE, Purdue

You can’t expect to survive with a paltry pass rush in a division with Peyton Manning and Matt Schaub. The Jaguars managed only 26 sacks last season. Kerrigan had almost half that (121/2) last fall at Purdue.
(Team needs: DE, S, LB, QB)

17th pick: New England Patriots
Cameron Jordan -- DE, California

The Patriots are likely to trade out of this spot. But Jordan here could be an inducement to stay put. He’s a 3-4 end who fits the size prototype (6-4, 287) Bill Belichick covets. Bigger is always better in New England.
(Team needs: OL, DE, OLB, HB)

18th pick: San Diego Chargers
Corey Liuget -- DT, Illinois

Liuget was a dominant inside player in a 4-3 scheme in the Big Ten. The Chargers envision him playing the edge in their 3-4 scheme. He has excellent hands, a necessity for head-up combat with offensive tackles.
(Team needs: OT, ILB, WR, pass rusher)

19th pick: New York Giants
Nate Solder -- OT, Colorado

Like the Cowboys, the Giants need to get younger on the offensive line. Solder is the best blind-side protector in this draft, and he’s going to get better. He’s only played the position for three years.
(Team needs: OT, G, LB, KR)

20th pick: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Robert Quinn -- DE, North Carolina

The Bucs have the worst pass rush in the NFC — just 26 sacks in 521 pass attempts. Quinn is the best edge pass rusher on the board. But his stock slid this draft season because of a bout with cancer in high school.
(Team needs: G, pass rusher, CB, OT)

21st pick: Kansas City Chiefs
Gabe Carimi -- OT, Wisconsin

The Chiefs want to get bigger, tougher and younger up front. KC has one of the NFL’s best runners in Jamaal Charles — and Carimi has spent a career blocking in one of the best run-oriented offenses in college football.
(Team needs: DT, C, WR, QB)

22nd pick: Indianapolis Colts
Anthony Castonzo -- OT, Boston College

Because of the run of quarterbacks at the top, a lot of quality players slid, including Castonzo, CB Prince Amukamara and DE J.J. Watt. As long as Peyton Manning is in Indy, the priority will be protecting him.
(Team needs: KR, def. size, QB, LB, OL)

23rd pick: Philadelphia Eagles
Jimmy Smith -- CB, Colorado

If the Eagles are to continue their dominance in the NFC East, they must find someone who can cover Dez Byrant. Mission accomplished. Smith is the biggest and perhaps most talented cover corner in this draft.
(Team needs: DL, OL, CB, LB)

24th pick: New Orleans Saints
Adrian Clayborn -- DE, Iowa

You have to stop the run to survive in a division with DeAngelo Williams, Michael Turner and LaGarrette Blount. So the Saints need some big bodies up front to bolster the NFL’s 16th-ranked run defense.
(Team needs: DE, DT, LB, S)

25th pick: Seattle Seahawks
Prince Amukamara -- CB, Nebraska

The Seahawks need help for the NFL’s 27th-ranked pass defense, and Amukamara represents sliding value. He has the size (6-0, 206) to line up against physical wideouts Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Crabtree in the NFC West.
(Team needs: OT, G, C, QB)

26th pick: Baltimore Ravens
J.J. Watt -- DE, Wisconsin

Another sliding value. Watt headed into the process touted as the best end for a 3-4 scheme — and he falls into the lap of a top-10 defense. Good players tend to find the Ravens wherever they are on the draft board.
(Team needs: CB, WR, pass rusher, OT)

27th pick: Atlanta Falcons
Phil Taylor -- DT, Baylor

Same synopsis as New Orleans above. You need bulk up front to compete in a division that wants to run the football — and Taylor is one of the bulkiest players in this draft at 334 pounds.
(Team needs: OL, NT, WR, LB)

28th pick: New England Patriots
Danny Watkins -- G, Baylor

Watkins is the safest pick in the entire draft — the one player you can confidently say will be in the Pro Bowl in 2012. He’s the best guard on the board, and some NFL teams were looking at him as both a center and tackle.
(Team needs: OL, DE, OLB, HB)

29th pick: Chicago Bears
Marvin Austin -- DT, North Carolina

The Bears need an elite tackle to replace departed Pro Bowler Tommie Harris . Austin missed the 2010 season because of an NCAA suspension but plays with great power and a great motor. A top-10 defense just got better.
(Team needs: LB, DT, RB, QB)

30th pick: New York Jets
Derek Sherrod -- OT, Mississippi State

There are only five offensive tackles in this draft who can walk in as starters and Sherrod is the last one. He started three years at left tackle at Mississippi State but projects as a right tackle in the NFL.
(Team needs: CB, OL, WR)

31st pick: Pittsburgh Steelers
Cameron Heyward -- DE, Ohio State

The Steelers need to get younger at end in their 3-4 scheme, and Heyward provides them that opportunity. He’s a high achiever — a four-year starter, team captain and MVP of a Big Ten championship team.
(Team needs: 2 CB, DE, OT)

32nd pick: Green Bay Packers
Aaron Williams -- CB, Texas

The Super Bowl champions have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and few needs. They are in a position to draft the best player on their board. That’s Williams, who can play either cornerback or safety.
(Team needs: DL, OL, pass rusher, CB)

April 28th, 2011, 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

Post Re: Goose's Final Mock Draft - WOW!
no offence to goose but no way detroit takes fairley.and everyone knows dallas is taking prince.

April 28th, 2011, 9:36 am
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:
no offence to goose but no way detroit takes fairley.and everyone knows dallas is taking prince.

funny, I live and work and Dallas and everyone here knows they are going to take Tyron Smith.

Fairley to the Lions does seem far fetched, but imagine all the flexibility in moving guys around that line - wow.

The five QBs going in the first 12 picks was shocking, but great for the Lions. Robert Quinn would sure be tempting in this scenario as well.

April 28th, 2011, 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
allenslions wrote:

funny, I live and work and Dallas and everyone here knows they are going to take Tyron Smith.

Fairley to the Lions does seem far fetched, but imagine all the flexibility in moving guys around that line - wow.

The five QBs going in the first 12 picks was shocking, but great for the Lions. Robert Quinn would sure be tempting in this scenario as well.

If this happens, I can see 2 different trade possibilities.

Trade scenario 1. Corey "ENCROACHMENT" Williams traded to a team with a 4-3 defense. Just face it. He loses his starting gig if Fairley is drafted by us.

Trade scenario 2. Sammie Lee Hill to either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. I think he has the size to be a really good 3-4 NT. And face it. If we draft Fairley, SLH doesn't get near as much playing time. I personally, would hate to see him go. I really like SLH.

I would be pushing for trade scenario #1. What is the best we could get for him? A 3rd rounder? 4th? 5th? At this point, I think I would accept a large bottle of 800 MG Motrin for him to kill the pain of all his encroachments.

April 28th, 2011, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

I'd take Fairley... holy crap would that be sick... that kid is a stud.

April 28th, 2011, 10:01 am
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
allenslions wrote:

Funny, but I see the Cowboys taking Fairley if he's still available. They desperately need a five technique, and Fairley, despite his character concerns, represents the best talent available.

Quinn dropping to 20 is beyond my scope of understanding. Cancer scare in high school? I don't know the details, but I can't see that being an issue now.

Ponder as a top ten pick? That's ridiculous....

April 28th, 2011, 11:00 am
RIP Killer

IMO Fairley out of the top 10 is one of the steals of a lifetime. BPA, you take him over the need of CB, LB, or OT unless Peterson is on the board. he's a top 10 pick quality DT in almost any draft.

April 28th, 2011, 11:08 am
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
allenslions wrote:

Funny, but I see the Cowboys taking Fairley if he's still available. They desperately need a five technique, and Fairley, despite his character concerns, represents the best talent available.

Quinn dropping to 20 is beyond my scope of understanding. Cancer scare in high school? I don't know the details, but I can't see that being an issue now.

Ponder as a top ten pick? That's ridiculous....

Isn't the tumor still in Quinn's head?

April 28th, 2011, 11:10 am
Team MVP

I see almost no chance Fairley makes it out of the top 10, then again I said before there is no way Prince makes it out of the top 10 neither and look how that is starting to unfold.

But if Fairley fell to us at 13 and we couldnt trade down, I would be very happy pairing him with Suh.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 28th, 2011, 11:22 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

It's the BPA approach that Mayhew has been known for. If Fairley falls to 13 I think they should field all offers for a team to move up. St. Louis would consider taking him, so a team could jump up and take him right before. More than anything I think it would be even more of a luxury pick then taking an End. If Robert Quinn were there at 13, I would have a hard time not taking him. He has a benign brain tumor that requires MRI's every 6 months. It hasn't affected him yet, and there's no reason to think it will at the NFL.

April 28th, 2011, 11:33 am
Heisman Winner

I'm thinking someone swiped Goose's password or something. That's not just out of the box, that's out of this world. Wow.

Aldon Smith (aka Kalimba Edwards 2.0) before Fairley?? Did he not see what a disruptive DT (Suh) can do for a defense? Mind boggling.

April 28th, 2011, 12:06 pm
RIP Killer

Remember this mock is based on what Rick things will happen, not what he thinks should happen. Basically, he calls around to all the club and tries to read their pulse on the draft and throws some common sense in the mix. His mocks can vary greatly from the masses, but he is typically among the most accurate.

So it doesn't matter if he likes Fairley above Aldon Smith, it just matters where he thinks they will be taken.

April 28th, 2011, 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Nabbing Fairley would be unreal. My dream scenario:

1R: Nick Fairley - DT
2R: Bruce Carter - LB
3R: Stefen Wisniewski - OG/C
4R: Curtis Brown - CB
5R: David Mims - OT
7R: Aldrick Robinson - WR

Pick up either Allen Bradford or Mario Fannin as a PFA, or draft one of them in the 7th and pick up a burner PFA WR.

April 28th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think the QB scenario is very realistic as I believe several QB-needy clubs are beginning to go into full-on panic mode because of the lack of trades/free agency. Could you imagine being San Fran or the Titans and going into the season with what's currently on your roster? Frightening.

April 28th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Bills finished last in the NFL in run defense in 2010. They need some bigger, nastier players to line up against the Jets and Pats. In Dareus, they land the best run defender in this draft. He also brings an attitude.

Here is his expl for why Buffalo would take Dareus.

But Denver had the 32nd worse D, and faces the #1 and #2 rushing attack in the country twice a year each in their own division, so I think hes got 2 and 3 backwards.

If Fairly fell to us Id field the bounty of trade offers we should get, but also would be perfectly happy taking him.

April 28th, 2011, 1:05 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next