View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 NFL teams will resume operations Friday morning 
RIP Killer

Post NFL teams will resume operations Friday morning
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... aking_news

Quote:
The NFL has notified its clubs they can resume operations, including most offseason activities, beginning Friday at 8 a.m. ET.

According to a statement issued by the league, team officials may immediately contact players to advise them about the hours the facilities will be open for use, to schedule medical and rehabilitation sessions and to set up meetings with coaches.

The league likely will address the start of the 2011 League Year on Friday. That would encompass player transactions such as free-agent signings.

The league said it was taking the steps as an appropriate response to the preliminary injunction granted by U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson. The NFL's request for a stay was denied Wednesday. The league is awaiting further guidance from the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, with which it has filed an appeal of the injunction and sought a stay.

The statement details eight points that deal with everything from players' use of facilities to contact with team officials and the start of voluntary offseason workout programs.

Players who showed up at team complexes around the league on Thursday were again not allowed to do any activities.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora spoke with Washington Redskins center Casey Rabach, who reported to Redskin Park on Thursday morning. Rabach spoke briefly with general manager Bruce Allen, but he was not allowed to enter to work out.

"I stopped by to talk with Bruce," Rabach said via text. "Everyone was good there. He told me they are waiting to hear on the stay filed with the 8th district court."

When asked if he went to the facility hoping to work out, Rabach responded:

"I went there knowing it wasn't going to happen. It would have been nice."

In Minnesota, Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway showed up at Winter Park but was "cordially" informed that he would not be allowed to workout at the facility, The Star-Tribune reported.

"I went down to the weight room before I got changed and I didn't know what was going to happen," Greenway said. "The strength coaches were there, just getting there, and they said that they didn't know what we could do. I was called by (vice president of football operations) Rob Brzezinski. He said, 'You can hang out as long as you want and we want you to be around, but we don't know what rules to go under so there's no workouts available today'."

April 28th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: NFL teams will resume operations Friday morning
Riddle me this... isn't it in the nfl's best interest to have all the players play, go through the season, and keep running with the last set of rules rather than a holdout? Doesn't a holdout infer a strike which typically is in the "workers" favor, or in this case players? Anyone give some insight? Everyone loses in that situation, but the players can live without some salary a few games, how can the nfl teams survive a year without significant income?

April 28th, 2011, 2:09 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Riddle me this... isn't it in the nfl's best interest to have all the players play, go through the season, and keep running with the last set of rules rather than a holdout? Doesn't a holdout infer a strike which typically is in the "workers" favor, or in this case players? Anyone give some insight? Everyone loses in that situation, but the players can live without some salary a few games, how can the nfl teams survive a year without significant income?

TV contract money still gets paid, but becomes a loan rather than payment for services. Also, income is still going to be forthcoming from various endorsements that teams have, as well as merchandise sales. Will it be the same? No, but it's something. In the meantime, the players don't get paid, and must live off what they have saved, or their endorsement deals, which will go bye-bye as they continue to not play.

April 28th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

M2K, a judge (Doty I believe) already ruled that the NFL can't pocket TV revenue in the case of a lockout. I think the NFL appealed the decision, but I don't know what's going on with it at this point.

April 28th, 2011, 6:08 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
M2K, a judge (Doty I believe) already ruled that the NFL can't pocket TV revenue in the case of a lockout. I think the NFL appealed the decision, but I don't know what's going on with it at this point.

I didn't know that.....

However, it all comes down to the fact that the owners make their money (most of them, if not all) primarily from other sources, and not their NFL franchise ownership. They can hold out longer than most of the players, I think.

April 29th, 2011, 11:23 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Yeah, the court ruling was that the NFL didn't negotiate in good faith for the best possible deal, instead to get incentives for a possible lockout. The NFL just can't argue infront of a court successfully, and even the 89-page judgement by Nelson is going to make it extremely hard for a labor-unfriendly 8th circuit to grant a stay.

The players have ALL the leverage right now.

April 29th, 2011, 11:28 am
Does this mean that players can be traded? Any chance we see Corey Williams or SLH traded today?

April 29th, 2011, 11:45 am

No, not until they officially start the league year, which they won't do in the middle of a draft.

April 29th, 2011, 12:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Maybe someone else can confirm, but during the Draft today they said there was breaking news that the Stay had been granted,and that the Lockout was back in effect. it did not seem to be a joke of any kind.

April 30th, 2011, 3:23 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
Yeah, the court ruling was that the NFL didn't negotiate in good faith for the best possible deal, instead to get incentives for a possible lockout. The NFL just can't argue infront of a court successfully, and even the 89-page judgement by Nelson is going to make it extremely hard for a labor-unfriendly 8th circuit to grant a stay.

The players have ALL the leverage right now.

Guess it wasn't too extremely hard to grant a stay. LOL.

April 30th, 2011, 7:56 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Does this mean that players can be traded? Any chance we see Corey Williams or SLH traded today?

I don't want to trade SLH, whenever trades can happen, unless we get a kings ransom for him.

Corey "Encroachment" Williams, on the other hand, I would take a bottle of 800mg Motrin to kill the pain of all his penalties.

April 30th, 2011, 8:00 am
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
Maybe someone else can confirm, but during the Draft today they said there was breaking news that the Stay had been granted,and that the Lockout was back in effect. it did not seem to be a joke of any kind.

Yes, you heard right. There was apre-mature report on ESPN earlier in the day that was retracted. But, the one you are talking aboput is the real deal.

April 30th, 2011, 8:03 am
Rookie Player of the Year

How can you look at the guys who would've been UFAs and argue they aren't experiencing 'irreparable harm?' The short window after the draft can determine a guy like that's future. If this drags on long enough, you're gonna have a whole slew of guys who will miss serious opportunities.

Hell, you could say it about any rookie. Your ability to make the roster is based on how well you learn the playbook and how well you perform in OTAs and training camp. What if you take away those opportunities?

Something tells me this is another class action suit in the making...

May 1st, 2011, 12:43 am

yeah, that reason alone i believe will get the stay lifted. The league drafts players, then won't let them negotiate their contracts to get paid. Now the "They own them" comments make sense. And the undrafted FA's have even less chances the longer the stay remains. Its more harmful to those players then it is to the league and the judges will have to review that early this week. I highly doubt they'll grant it, but then again in this political climate, anything's possible. I see both sides reasons, but the hardship issue falls on the newly drafted and undrafted FA's harder than current players and owners which means the players win.

May 1st, 2011, 12:53 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
How can you look at the guys who would've been UFAs and argue they aren't experiencing 'irreparable harm?' The short window after the draft can determine a guy like that's future. If this drags on long enough, you're gonna have a whole slew of guys who will miss serious opportunities.

Hell, you could say it about any rookie. Your ability to make the roster is based on how well you learn the playbook and how well you perform in OTAs and training camp. What if you take away those opportunities?

Something tells me this is another class action suit in the making...

A rookie that doesn't get his shot can't sue. That's like saying that college grads could sue the UAW or Big 3 for not coming to an agreement...

May 2nd, 2011, 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next