View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Detroit is guaranteed... 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Detroit is guaranteed...
Pablo wrote:
Honolulu_Blue wrote:
:shock:

LDE: DaQuan Bowers
DT: Ndamukong Suh
DT: Nick Fairley
RDE: Cliff Avril

Quarterbacks worst nightmare.

You forgot KVB! :idea:

And LoJack.

April 30th, 2011, 8:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

LoJack had the most stops by a DL in the league who played under 100 snaps. I read that in an article on here I believe.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 30th, 2011, 8:31 am
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
Right now, I would be disappointed in anyone other than Dowling, Harris, Carter, or Wilson at 44. Unfortunately, this means that none of those players will be drafted by the Lions at that spot. :twisted:

I would have even liked Wisneiwski at 44.

Therer must be something about Harris that Mayhew didn't like. I will have to defer to him on that 1. If there is 1 position that I am absolutely sure Mayhew to be an expert on, it would have to be his CB position. But, that don't explain the passing over of other higher rated LBers and other positions like interior O-line.Heck, there were even higher rated DE's than Young. So, this was not a BPA pick. I don't really view WR as a need either. While a 3rd WR was a need. It really wasn't because Best serves as a 3rd WR also from the RB position. That Titus Young pick really threw me for a loop.

April 30th, 2011, 8:37 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Numbers Game wrote:
Detroit is guaranteed that one of the following 11 players is available when they draft #44. Who do you prefer?

Da'Quan Bowers - DE
Akeem Ayers - OLB
Aaron Williams - CB
Brandon Harris - CB
Martez Wilson - OLB
Titus Young - WR
Mikel Leshoure - RB
Ras-I Dowling - CB
Bruce Carter - OLB
Rodney Hudson - OG/C
Stefen Wisniewski - OG/C

I'm going with Carter or Harris if available.

Well, you got two of them. I hope you're happy.

April 30th, 2011, 10:32 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
Therer must be something about Harris that Mayhew didn't like.

A few weeks ago there was discussion here (and id swear it was baked up by "the experts" that Harris could have been in play in the 1st round. I remember people discussing Harris vs Print vs Jimmy Smith at 1 point.

Then we had Peterson at 1-9, Prince at 7-13, JS at 13-30 and Harris & Ras I competing for top of 2nd round Honors.

Then come draft-day we get Ras I at 33 (patriots - who I trust with their corner selections [and most others]) and We are chanting for Harris to make it to 44... and he does... and we pass... and so do 12 other teams..and we trade up to 57... and we chant for Harris... and we pass...

While he did go just a few picks later to Houston, there is a reason he went from ~ 13-20 to 60th.

Personally, I think he is likely to end up a Nickel CB, or at best a Small #2 facing against receivers with 3-8 " advantages. For us if he topped out as a Nickle, he would be 100% a wasted Pick. We already have 1 of the best Nickels around in A Smith, and a slew of Young "Potential" Nickel and Dime CBs. We needed a Starter, and prefferably a #1 from this draft, and that option died when the last 1 (Ras I Dowling) went to the Patriots at 33.

While there were A LOT of CBs rated 2nd-5th round this year... that doesnt mean the QUALITY of said CBs went deep. Add in that rookie CBs often do poorly their first few years.. we are much better Trading for or Signing a Veteran CB if we are looking for a quick turnaround on D... which I think we are.

Sign Houston, and Get a quality (read: Does not need to be Asomugha or J Joseph, just a solid #1 or 2) and the same quality of LB (like Tulloch) and we will have a top 10,maybe top 5 Defense next year.

slybri19 wrote:
Well, you got two of them. I hope you're happy.

Personally, I'm very happy :P

May 1st, 2011, 4:05 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

In truth, now that I've had time to think about this draft and allow the emotion to die down, there are two things that disappointed me with this draft, in regards to players and picks.

1. Although I still like the LeShoure pick (I wanted the Lions to take him), I'm still not all that ecstatic about giving up the picks to get him. I hope it pans out for us, but John Moffitt was a player I would have really liked for the Lions, and he was taken by Seattle with what would have been our third round pick (traded for LeShoure).

2. The selection of Doug Hogue over Quan Sturdivant. Personally, I think Quan is going to be a pretty good NFL player. I could be wrong, Lord knows I've been plenty of times before this. But maybe for the Lions Hogue represents a coverage talent, since our LB pass coverage hasn't been stellar? Sturdivant isn't strong in coverage, but he seemed to play very well in the UNC games I watched. I thought he made just as many plays for them as Bruce Carter.

May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Rookie Player of the Year

This draft reminds me a lot of 2009 in that you get the sense that everybody we took has a chance to get some playing time in the near future, even the 5th and 7th round guys. I also like the fact that we had brought in Fairly, LeShoure, Hogue and Culbreth in for visits prior to the draft (don't think TD Young had a visit)--that shows we weren't just picking blindly but picking guys we really felt strongly about.

May 1st, 2011, 11:32 am
Player of the Year - Defense

M2k, i think hogue's coverage skills are what got him here. He's got a higher ceiling. He signed at Syracuse as a RB and after his sophmore season, switched to LB. In those 2 years, he worked hard to learn what he can, and reached all big east honors, so he's a quick learner. I think he could be special with some coaching. He compares to Bullock, so its understandable why Schwartz noticed him. He's at 230's in weight, but a frame that will allow for much more. With our front 4, he might see more than just special teams and be able to make an impact since it will play to his strengths. Developmental pick that can make an impact on special teams and provide depth with the potential to start later.

Mayhew tried to trade back multiple times. They discussed going up for Peterson, but was too expensive. They tried to trade back when they though Minny was taking Fairley. People weren't moving when he had picks. They only moved when, like we did, had someone at a high grade and went up to grab them. We just weren't in good spots I guess.

May 1st, 2011, 12:09 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
M2k, i think hogue's coverage skills are what got him here. He's got a higher ceiling. He signed at Syracuse as a RB and after his sophmore season, switched to LB. In those 2 years, he worked hard to learn what he can, and reached all big east honors, so he's a quick learner. I think he could be special with some coaching. He compares to Bullock, so its understandable why Schwartz noticed him. He's at 230's in weight, but a frame that will allow for much more. With our front 4, he might see more than just special teams and be able to make an impact since it will play to his strengths. Developmental pick that can make an impact on special teams and provide depth with the potential to start later.

Mayhew tried to trade back multiple times. They discussed going up for Peterson, but was too expensive. They tried to trade back when they though Minny was taking Fairley. People weren't moving when he had picks. They only moved when, like we did, had someone at a high grade and went up to grab them. We just weren't in good spots I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed with the job the Lions did. At first I was, but once I sat back and looked at the big picture and got some input from a few others in the chat room, it started to look pretty solid.

I don't know enough about Hogue to really judge him. I saw only one Syracuse game that I can recall, and I think I switched it to another game so I didn't even see the entire thing. I liked Sturdivant, and thought he was a third to fourth rounder. But if the Lions have a plan for Hogue, I'm OK with it.

The Lions will be more than fine with these additions, and given their record in obtaining FA players and making some shrewd trades, I think we can expect a pretty good year.

May 1st, 2011, 12:23 pm
RIP Killer

If we bring back Smith and Houston at CB I won't be too upset about the draft.

May 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm

Smith is still under contract and we tendered Houston. They're both back unless someone wants to give us a first for Houston.

May 1st, 2011, 2:50 pm
RIP Killer

What I wasn't sure was whether a new CBA could change all that. I don't really know what could happen...

May 1st, 2011, 4:53 pm

If they remove tenders and franchise tags, it would change, but then it would also open up a lot of players from other teams. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Plus Houston if he plays to the same level could be a probowl player behind our line. He's not going to go anywhere unless he gets some unable to beat offer. Passes will be rushed which will increase interceptions. If he signs the 1yr tender, he could sign a huge contract next year somewhere.

May 1st, 2011, 4:56 pm
RIP Killer

I'm hoping however it happens he comes back.

May 1st, 2011, 5:21 pm
Towel Boy

Quote:
yostevo wrote:
1. Bowers (you just have to take this risk, the DL becomes epic)
2. Harris (I'm a big fan. He reminds me of that small CB in ATL Grimes that just makes play after play despite his size)
3. Dowling (Any shortcomings he has will get masked by the line, day one starter)
4. Wilson (I think he's a talented and a safe pick)
5. Carter (Lots of talent and we can wait on it)

I agree if you stay true to the board it's DaQuan. Hate neglecting positions of need, but after thinking about it... it'd be tough to say no to playing behind this dline if your name is say, Stephen Tulloch or Ndami Asamougha.

Not necessarily true--the knee may have taken him off of many people's boards altogether.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you blindly take him and cross your fingers. Obviously interested teams have gotten the medical done on him and if you don't think it's a career threatening injury, you take this risk.

Maybe you redshirt him this year and ease him into the rotation the following year as KVB fades. Two years from now, you might just have a diamond in the rough.

I realize that I have butchered the quotes that people wrote.... but I just wanted to address the Bowers injury. It is a BIG risk.

Micro-fracture surgery IS ALWAYS a sign of a career threatening injury.

The procedure is still somewhat experimental, in which they drill tiny holes in the bone where the cartilage USED to be located.

Key term is USED to be.... as in.... he already has a bone exposed in his knee.

The HOPE is that these tiny holes will allow the more vascular areas of bone beneath the surface to provide a blood supply that will allow for new cartilage growth. The problem is that the body typically doesn't grow "new" cartilage once we are adults.

Even IF Bowers does make it to a 2nd contract, his career is not likely to be very long with this condition. He also is likely to miss a LOT of practice reps because his knee is more likely to swell, become arthritic, and incur further damage. Therefore, he will likely not consistently be an "every down" player in the NFL.

Think Courtney Brown, the DE that the Browns drafted #1 overall, who also had micro-fracture surgery early in his career.

May 1st, 2011, 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next