View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 NFL teams will resume operations Friday morning 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: NFL teams will resume operations Friday morning
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
How can you look at the guys who would've been UFAs and argue they aren't experiencing 'irreparable harm?' The short window after the draft can determine a guy like that's future. If this drags on long enough, you're gonna have a whole slew of guys who will miss serious opportunities.

Hell, you could say it about any rookie. Your ability to make the roster is based on how well you learn the playbook and how well you perform in OTAs and training camp. What if you take away those opportunities?

Something tells me this is another class action suit in the making...

A rookie that doesn't get his shot can't sue. That's like saying that college grads could sue the UAW or Big 3 for not coming to an agreement...

There's a strong case for damages there. Add to that the fact that you have 32 separate businesses (per the Supreme Court) colluding to stop that kid and hundreds of others from getting their shot. That's what this is all about.

May 3rd, 2011, 12:13 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
There's a strong case for damages there. Add to that the fact that you have 32 separate businesses (per the Supreme Court) colluding to stop that kid and hundreds of others from getting their shot. That's what this is all about.

Is it considered collusion when a kid goes undrafted and doesn't get a camp invite from a single team? Sounds like basically the same thing to me.

May 3rd, 2011, 11:47 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
How can you look at the guys who would've been UFAs and argue they aren't experiencing 'irreparable harm?' The short window after the draft can determine a guy like that's future. If this drags on long enough, you're gonna have a whole slew of guys who will miss serious opportunities.

Hell, you could say it about any rookie. Your ability to make the roster is based on how well you learn the playbook and how well you perform in OTAs and training camp. What if you take away those opportunities?

A rookie that doesn't get his shot can't sue. That's like saying that college grads could sue the UAW or Big 3 for not coming to an agreement...

The "32 separate businesses" aren't "colluding to stop "that kid," they are bargaining with the NFLPA, BIG DIFFERENCE. There is no law suit here, at least by UDFAs.

May 3rd, 2011, 11:52 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Its not collusion because the UDFA's aren't employees yet. If they were you'd have a point. They avoid collusion with the drafted players, because every single drafted player can be tendered for to a 1 year contract, even with the lockout, which was arranged in the previous draft. If they don't get a contract, they'd enter the draft again next year if there isn't a season.

The stay will get lifted based completely on the merit of it causing harm to players if it remains locked out versus harm to owners if its lifted. Stupid to think anyone's harmed with the amount they get paid, but the majority of players that get the minimum would be far more hurt than the owners. It will be interesting to see how the court views it since the plaintiffs are Brady, Manning and Brees who are among the highest paid. They wouldn't be harmed. That's the quandry.

May 3rd, 2011, 11:53 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Couldn't you build a case like this for the UFAs:

You compile media reports that the plaintiff is a top target as a UFA
+ You demonstrate how many UFAs typically get signed in a normal league year
+ Enough time passes due to the lockout and once it's resolved, few or no UFAs are signed because there is not enough time for teams to evaluate them

= 32 separate business coming together to exclude or severely limit the opportunities of a specific group. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but I'm not a lawyer (I just play one on TV :D )

I could imagine a similar scenario with draft picks from rounds 4-7; ie, compare how many make the final roster this year to historical trends and if there's a big discrepancy, pin it on the owners.

You miss the first year you're eligible for the NFL, and the incredibly difficult odds of making a squad just became impossible.

Just my take on it.

May 3rd, 2011, 1:38 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Couldn't you build a case like this for the UFAs:

You compile media reports that the plaintiff is a top target as a UFA
+ You demonstrate how many UFAs typically get signed in a normal league year
+ Enough time passes due to the lockout and once it's resolved, few or no UFAs are signed because there is not enough time for teams to evaluate them

= 32 separate business coming together to exclude or severely limit the opportunities of a specific group. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but I'm not a lawyer (I just play one on TV :D )

I could imagine a similar scenario with draft picks from rounds 4-7; ie, compare how many make the final roster this year to historical trends and if there's a big discrepancy, pin it on the owners.

You miss the first year you're eligible for the NFL, and the incredibly difficult odds of making a squad just became impossible.

Just my take on it.

First, are you talking about unrestricted free agents, or undrafted free agents?

If it is UDFA players, they have no ground by gathering media reports, because the media reports prove nothing. It would be like taking testimony from someone outside of a murder case who simply states "I think he did it" and presenting it as evidence.

Also, if that were the case, then a player like Da'Quan Bowers or any number of players who didn't get drafted where they were "supposed" to could sue the league for lost wages based on media reports that they were top "X" talent.

If you are going to talk about unrestricted free agents, then you are walking a slippery slope, because some of these guys CHOOSE to be free agents, rather than having accepted a contract offer from their former teams. Teams are not obligated to sign any form of free agent, or even work them out. That being the case, any of us could sue the NFL and say that we don't have the opportunity to work out for them, despite the unrealistic shot of us making the roster.

May 3rd, 2011, 2:23 pm
Veteran General Manager

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Because there is the UFL and the CFL as alternatives for them.

May 3rd, 2011, 10:59 pm
The bottom line is you can't sue a company for not hiring people while they're collectively bargaining, period. That's all that is going on here.

May 3rd, 2011, 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2