View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Feds probing into playoff system 
RIP Killer

Post Feds probing into playoff system
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/05/ant ... h-the-bcs/

Quote:
Antitrust Allegations: Can the Feds Crush the BCS?

The Bowl Championship Series (BCS), that college football oligarchy that stands in the way of a long-desired college football playoff, is facing its biggest threat: the Department of Justice.

Christine Varney, anti-trust chief at DOJ, has sent a letter to the NCAA, questioning why college football does not have a playoff system. "Serious questions continue to arise suggesting the current Bowl Championship Series may not be conducted consistent with the competition principles expressed in federal anti-trust laws," she wrote. This letter follows an announcement from the Utah attorney general, Mark Shurtleff, that he plans to file an antitrust suit against the BCS.

What should we make of this? First, expect BCS defenders — there actually are a few of them — and good government groups to question whether taxpayer funds should be used to probe college football. At a time when governments can't afford enough teachers and cops on the street, we're going to worry about a pigskin postseason?

But this federal investment could net a positive return. The lack of a true, fair college football playoff could be costing public universities millions of dollars in additional revenue. So a playoff could add much more to the public coffers than any investigation or suit would cost. Further, even the threat of an investigation or suit could cause the BCS to wilt. An internal probe into the Fiesta Bowl, for example, revealed that officials spent lavishly, going so far as to bill strip club visits to the bowl. Do other bowls have similar shameful secrets? Will they want to mount an expensive legal defense?

In time of distress, it's hard to justify government meddling in sports. But when it comes to the BCS, it's about time that justice is served.

May 5th, 2011, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Feds probing into playoff system
If the feds can go after the NCAA and BCS system for anti-trust then effectively we just officially moved from the realm of college athletics to a real business where the emplyoees are being compensated unfairly.

Either they are a collegiant sports association allowed to govern a winner how they want or they are business needing to be governed by US law. In case, we have lots of big issues to fry with the NCAA...

May 5th, 2011, 10:52 am
RIP Killer

I find it a fraudulant claim overall though because there are rules governing how many teams from conferences can get into the BCS to that they can reserve room for schools not in a major conference. It does preferencial treatment to schools in bigger conferences, no doubt, but a playoff system doesn't give any better % of representation.

This is not a mamby pamby "everyone should get a turn." It is post season play and the BEST teams should be playing, regardless of conference. The question is not whether the BCS does that, the question in this case is whether it restricts fair commerce. It is clear that the rules force good non-conference teams in so I cannot see how it applies.

Making it an 8 team playoff system doesn't change anything BTW, it is still just as exlusionary as the BCS. The only way to change it is to increase the # of teams and give every conference winner a spot, which then forces better teams out of the picture because they had to unfairly hold a spot for a suckier team to be "fair."

May 5th, 2011, 11:09 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

yet another thing the feds have no buisness sticking their nose into. Just another example of the government stepping in and telling us whats best for us...AGAIN.

Screw the fact that I happen to agree with them this time. That means NOTHING..they have no buisness getting involved. Must be nice for Cogress or whoever is involved to not have anything better to do, than stick thier noses in hobbies. (Steroids in Basball...also a huge waste of tax dollars!)

May 6th, 2011, 4:51 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
yet another thing the feds have no buisness sticking their nose into. Just another example of the government stepping in and telling us whats best for us...AGAIN.

Screw the fact that I happen to agree with them this time. That means NOTHING..they have no buisness getting involved. Must be nice for Cogress or whoever is involved to not have anything better to do, than stick thier noses in hobbies. (Steroids in Basball...also a huge waste of tax dollars!)

If they are truely considering it a business effective commerce then they have every right especially the $$$ involved. That being said, the implications are HUGE if they indeed do have a right because then the players should be considered employees which has all kinds of implications.

This is not steroids in baseball with congress, this is the Federal Trade Commission investigating anti-trust issues with a VERY lucrative entity.

May 6th, 2011, 6:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

how did I know you'd be all for them getting involved......

May 7th, 2011, 10:47 am
RIP Killer

What does that even mean? I think the BCS is fine... what do you even mean... because you didn't think they should be involved ;) lol

May 7th, 2011, 11:08 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I think everyone knows where I stand on this issue. While I don't like the BCS system, the last thing I want is for the government to be involved. Everything they touch turns to crap and Reagan wasn't kidding when he said that government isn't the solution to our problems. Government is the problem.

Knowing how incompetent and inefficient the federal bureaucracy is, can you imagine what a government mandated college football playoff would look like? For starters, the racial and/or ethnic makeup of the team would be considered before allowing a team to reach the playoffs. Their inclusion, or lack thereof, of homosexuals could also be a factor. Let's not forget about the rights of illegal immigrants or muslims either. They must also be represented to offer a fair champion. How about the team's use of green energy and reducing their carbon footprint on the way to the crown? They may also force the players to become unionized, except in Right To Work states, but those teams will be ineligible for the playoffs. They might also outlaw the use of pigskin in the championship game to appease the animal rights activists. Running up the score against an inferior opponent could cause them mental distress and might be considered a hate crime. Imagine the lobbyists marching upon Capitol Hill to ensure that their school gets selected for the playoffs in exchange for loads of campaign cash. They might also regulate contact as an undue risk of bodily harm and late hits could be prosecuted as assault.

Of course, I kid here, but nothing the government leeches in Washington do can surprise me anymore.

May 7th, 2011, 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]