View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Available Free Agents? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Available Free Agents?
Tiki Barber looks like he wants back in!

March 9th, 2011, 12:13 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

36-year-old RB, I don't think so...

March 9th, 2011, 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Another train wreck coming to you in an NFl stadium this fall, good grief!

March 9th, 2011, 11:04 am
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:

Yeah. He said that he got the itch to come back because he saw how much fun his brother Rhonda(SP?) was still having.

Interpretation:

Never mind the fact that I have just gone through a bitter divorce and she got everything and I am now near destitute.

March 9th, 2011, 10:06 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This year, I'm afraid free agency won't begin until after the draft, so it's a whole new dynamic. Instead of using the draft to patch holes remaining after free agency, it's going to be the other way around. Therefore, if the Lions draft Julio Jones, they won't be looking for a WR once FA begins. The same thing applies to other positions. This kinda sucks if you ask me.

March 12th, 2011, 2:05 pm
Veteran General Manager

slybri19 wrote:
This year, I'm afraid free agency won't begin until after the draft, so it's a whole new dynamic. Instead of using the draft to patch holes remaining after free agency, it's going to be the other way around. Therefore, if the Lions draft Julio Jones, they won't be looking for a WR once FA begins. The same thing applies to other positions. This kinda sucks if you ask me.

I actually like the idea of FA following the draft. IMHO, that's the way it should be. You build a team through the draft and augment it through FA.

March 12th, 2011, 2:34 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I actually like the idea of FA following the draft. IMHO, that's the way it should be. You build a team through the draft and augment it through FA.

I agree with you on this one Billy. I like free agency after the draft rather than before.

March 12th, 2011, 8:14 pm
NFL Team Captain

KFFL is reporting that the Titans GM has said that they probably will not try to resign MLB Stephen Tulloch.

They did tender him an offer next year just in case it works out that he will become a RFA instead of a URFA.

Either way it looks like we would have a decent chance to land him once FA starts.

May 7th, 2011, 8:54 am
RIP Killer

I think the Titans taking Colin McCarthy sort of sealed the deal with that. Tulloch will be hitting the open market if the cards fall the right way.

May 7th, 2011, 9:47 pm
NFL Team Captain

Well, it's looking like 4yr players not under contract will become UFA's.

Do we go after Tulloch full bore?
Move Levy to?
What about the other LB spot?

June 21st, 2011, 5:21 pm
Veteran General Manager

jomo269 wrote:
Well, it's looking like 4yr players not under contract will become UFA's.

Do we go after Tulloch full bore?
Move Levy to?
What about the other LB spot?

Can Tulloch play Sam LB? If so, I'd like to see this:

We sign both Tulloch and Barrett Rudd. Put Rudd at MLB and move Levy to Will. ( That gives us a Very deep D-line and a pretty deep LB Corps.

Then we re-sign Houston and sign another good CB and we will have an adequate DB corps.

And if all works out well, this would be the last year that we HAVE to sign FA's. Imagine us starting to get comp picks from Losing FA's because we can replace them with the next guy in line.
And for next years draft, we could go O-line with the first 3-4 picks as far as I'm concerned.

June 21st, 2011, 8:56 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1525 ... gent-class

Quote:
To some young veterans and several agents, one of the most interesting elements to emerge from the owners' meeting in Chicago on Tuesday was the presumption that the proposed CBA agreement stipulates that the requirement for unrestricted free agency will return to four seasons of accrued service.

That was the threshold throughout free agency until 2010, when the rules for an "uncapped" season raised the bar to six seasons. There were a goodly number of disgruntled players who were unable to test the unrestricted market because of the "uncapped" rules, and who were forced to play under one-year restricted free-agent tenders, rather than benefitting from total freedom.

That is likely to change when there is a CBA accord.

"Music to my ears," said one prominent agent, who represents several players with four seasons of experience, and whose clients figure to attract multiple suitors if the unrestricted requirement returns to four years. "We're talking about the difference between maybe playing for the [restricted] tender, and hoping to be free after five years, and having the leverage of being on the open market now. It's huge."

Last week, The Sports Xchange reported that there were solid indications the unrestricted requirement would be dialed back to four seasons and that approximately 130 players could be affected by such a move. The dial-back, if it is indeed a component of a new CBA, would dramatically upgrade the talent pool available during the free-agency signing period.

The restricted one-year tenders offered to most four-year veterans earlier in the spring would be meaningless. Personnel departments would be able to include four-year veterans in their free-agency planning, although several general managers have indicated to The Sports Xchange they had already assessed the four-year players as part of their planning.

There are a few four-year veterans who were designated as franchise free agents -- center Ryan Kalil (Carolina), inside linebacker David Harris (New York Jets) and outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (Pittsburgh) -- and all three signed their one-year tenders as such before the lockout commenced. All are likely to continue negotiations on long-term deals once a CBA agreement is reached.

Even minus those players, the pool of four-year veterans who should be available in unrestricted free agency is an intriguing one. Impressive enough, in fact, to merit this fairly interesting all-star team:

Offense

WR: Sidney Rice (Minnesota)
WR: Steve Smith (New York Giants)
TE: Zach Miller (Oakland)
LT: Doug Free (Dallas)
LG: Justin Blalock (Atlanta)
C: Samson Satele (Oakland)
RG: Harvey Dahl (Atlanta)
RT: Marshal Yanda (Baltimore)
QB: Trent Edwards (Jacksonville)
FB: Le'Ron McClain (Baltimore)
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw (New York Giants)

Defense

LE: Charles Johnson (Carolina)
DT: Brandon Mebane (Seattle)
DT: Antonio Johnson (Indianapolis)
RE: Stylez White (Tampa Bay)
SLB: Stephen Nicholas (Atlanta)
MLB/ILB: Stewart Bradley (Philadelphia)
WLB: Clint Session (Indianapolis)
CB: Josh Williams (Baltimore)
CB: Chris Houston (Detroit)
FS: Eric Weddle (San Diego)
SS: Melvin Bullitt (Indianapolis)

Special teams

K: Mason Crosby (Green Bay)
P: Sav Rocca (Philadelphia)
KR: Steve Breaston (Arizona)
Coverage: Corey Graham (Chicago)

June 22nd, 2011, 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Re-signing Cliff Avril just became priority #1. Even ahead of Houston.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:50 am
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Re-signing Cliff Avril just became priority #1. Even ahead of Houston.

I think re-signing Houston is big, but I agree..theres no question signing Avril is priority #1.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 23rd, 2011, 11:36 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Avril has 3yrs service and has already signed his tender. He'll either get an extension this year, or his big contract will come next year. His contract isn't a current problem. Plus the fact that he wants to be in Detroit says a lot.

June 23rd, 2011, 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next