View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Denver wanted Nick Fairley 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Denver wanted Nick Fairley
Yeah, m2k was right. Sorry, typo. I'm talking theoretically here.

May 8th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Prior to the draft, I suggested that the Lions could trade down with Denver for 36 and 46, assuming that they traded back to 20 or so beforehand. In this scenario, I'd imagine that they would also get a 2012 1st or 2nd round pick as well. So, the Lions could have gotten LB Bruce Carter at 36 and I'm gonna assume that they would have selected Young and Leshoure with 44 and 46. This would have still left them with picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds where they could have drafted OL John Moffitt and CB Davon House. So, would you rather have Fairley or Carter, Moffitt, House, and an early pick next year? It's a no brainer to me.

Not a bad idea, but how do we know the Lions would have taken those players you listed? Those are guys YOU would draft.

You're right. Mayhew probably would have drafted TE Kyle Rudolph, DL Allen Bailey, and K Alex Henery instead. :lol:

I kid, I kid. Or atleast I hope I am.

May 9th, 2011, 9:40 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
Prior to the draft, I suggested that the Lions could trade down with Denver for 36 and 46, assuming that they traded back to 20 or so beforehand. In this scenario, I'd imagine that they would also get a 2012 1st or 2nd round pick as well. So, the Lions could have gotten LB Bruce Carter at 36 and I'm gonna assume that they would have selected Young and Leshoure with 44 and 46. This would have still left them with picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds where they could have drafted OL John Moffitt and CB Davon House. So, would you rather have Fairley or Carter, Moffitt, House, and an early pick next year? It's a no brainer to me.

Using your examples above, I looked into what could have possibly happened. It was reported that Denver was investigating moving back into round one, but was unwilling to part with so many future picks. I am assuming that they spoke with the Vikings and Lions, and both teams likely wanted both their second rounders this year, plus at least their second rounder next year. I have to imagine both teams were likely angling for their first rounder next year, something Elway wasn't willing to part with.

(I say if they wanted a DT so damn badly, why did they take Miller over Dareus? But I digress....)

So, image this scenario:

The Lions trade down with San Diego, who moves up to get either Fairley as their 5 technique, or Quinn to play OLB for them. Either way, Detroit trades their #13 and #154 for the Chargers #18 and #61. The Chargers take Fairley.

Now Detroit is sitting at #18. Do they pull the trigger on Amukamara? Or do they listen to Denver's overtures for the #18 pick? Denver was also said to be talking to teams about getting back into the first round for Cory Liuget.

IF Detroit stays at 18, they'd end up with (assuming the deal with Seattle is trading up from 61 to 57, giving our 4th/107 and get their 5th/157 and 7th /209 back - we traded away our 5th rounder to SD)
18 - CB Prince Amukamara
44 - WR Titus Young
57 - RB Mikel LeShoure
75 - OG John Moffitt
157 - LB Douglas Hogue
205 - CB Justin Rogers
209 - OT John Culbreath

IF Detroit trades down again from 18 with Denver so that they can land Cory Liuget, I would assume the asking price from Mayhew would be AT LEAST both 2011 second rounders (36 and 46) and Denver's first sixth rounder (186) or next years 5th rounder .

If that would have happened, then the outcome could have been:
36 - LB Bruce Carter
44 - WR Titus Young
46 - RB Mikel LeShoure
75 - OG John Moffitt
107 - CB Davon House
154 - LB Douglas Hogue
186 - CB Justin Rogers (or a 2012 5th rounder)
205 - OT John Culbreath

I have to assume that for Denver to move back up to 13, Mayhew was asking for both second rounders, plus a 2012 1st and 4th rounder. It could also have been that Denver was unwilling to part with both second rounders.....we'll likely never know.

May 10th, 2011, 4:42 pm
RIP Killer

Looking at these scenarios... they don't seem that much better to be honest.

May 10th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

At the end of the day, Fairely was a top 5 talent and Young and Leshoure are legitimate day 1 contributers. Its really hard to beat that in any scenario when you're picking near the middle. The Lions draft is regarded so highly for a reason.

May 10th, 2011, 5:24 pm
RIP Killer

Guys, I agree. It would have been nice to get a quality cornerback, or a quality linebacker, or an upgrade or guard/center. Those would have been nice, but not necessary for the Lions to compete. Adding a quantity of players at positions of need can be done in free agency, where you at least know what you are getting.

The draft, as has been said plenty of times, is about adding talent and upgrading the roster. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the Lions did exactly that with their picks. The got three that can contribute from day one, and two more that have the potential to develop into contributors and possibly contribute immediately on special teams. Nobody in this draft did more with so few picks. Based on how we rotate defensive linemen, use a RBC, and like multiple receiver sets, I'd say we did some damn fine picking.

May 10th, 2011, 6:40 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Denver really didn't address the middle of their defensive line at all during the draft so I have to think this was not a real serious deal, just speculating. I'm assuming John Elway was trying to fleece whomever was willing to listen. I'm glad Mayhew didn't do it, because with all the holes that Denver had on defense I can't imagine them giving up 4 or 5 picks to get one guy.

May 13th, 2011, 9:29 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Denver really didn't address the middle of their defensive line at all during the draft so I have to think this was not a real serious deal, just speculating. I'm assuming John Elway was trying to fleece whomever was willing to listen. I'm glad Mayhew didn't do it, because with all the holes that Denver had on defense I can't imagine them giving up 4 or 5 picks to get one guy.

Maybe we can trade one of our now extra DT's to em? They've been a nice trade dance partner up to this point. course that was a different goup all together over in Denver so who knows....Hopefully Mayhew can fleece the rookie GM :wink:

May 13th, 2011, 1:13 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

Maybe we can trade one of our now extra DT's to em? They've been a nice trade dance partner up to this point. course that was a different goup all together over in Denver so who knows....Hopefully Mayhew can fleece the rookie GM :wink:

No, our DT rotation will be DEADLY, particularly late in the game. I'd prefer to keep what we have. If they want a DT, we can trade Andre Fluellen to them for a PB&J sandwich and a bag of M&Ms.

May 13th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

No, our DT rotation will be DEADLY, particularly late in the game. I'd prefer to keep what we have. If they want a DT, we can trade Andre Fluellen to them for a PB&J sandwich and a bag of M&Ms.

I agree 100%. Our strength is our D-line, which we have valuable depth in. I'd say lets keep it that way.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 13th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2