View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Ron Paul sets sights on 2012. Ten things to know about him. 
Modmin Dude

Post Ron Paul sets sights on 2012. Ten things to know about him.
CSM wrote:
Election 101: Ron Paul sets sights on 2012. Ten things to know about him.

Ron Paul is hoping the third time’s the charm. The Texas congressman declared his (third) candidacy for president Friday on ‘Good Morning America.’ The ‘intellectual grandfather’ of the tea party movement is a constitutional purist who’s as popular among his fervent followers as he is disliked by the GOP establishment. He’s a dark horse pushing for an upset victory.

- Husna Haq, Correspondent

1. Why is he running – again?

Representative Paul is running as much to promote his issues as to get in the White House, says Brian Doherty, a senior writer at libertarian Reason Magazine.

“That’s always what Ron Paul has been in this for,” says Mr. Doherty. “He’s not in politics to do well for himself, but to get a set of ideas out. Running for president is a surprisingly successful way to get that message out.”

Paul has already brought a libertarian flavor to the race, highlighted issues he deems important, and energized a base of voters discouraged with the religious right-dominated GOP.

And, with the US facing a gaping deficit, several ongoing entanglements overseas, and a weak GOP field, Paul sees a perfect storm in 2012.

“I believe there are literally millions of more people now concerned about the very things I talked about four years ago.... The excessive spending, the entitlement system, the foreign policy, as well as the monetary system,” he said in Iowa, after announcing formation of his exploratory committee.

2. What is his platform?

It’s a unique mix of traditional conservatism and libertarianism that makes Paul such an unusual presidential candidate. He is fiercely antiwar and calls for an end to all military engagements overseas; he’s a proponent of fiscal discipline and harsh spending cuts; and he’s a strict constitutionalist who has long called for the dissolution of entire federal departments or institutions, including, famously, the Federal Reserve.

His unusual stances attract an equally unusual coalition of supporters: ACLU sympathizers and youths who like his opposition to the Patriot Act and his call to decriminalize marijuana; tea partyers who appreciate his strict fiscal message; religious voters who agree with his opposition to abortion; and antiwar types who back his opposition to the Iraq war.

3. Who, exactly, is his base?

Paul is hoping to capture the votes that most of his more mainstream GOP opponents will miss. That means libertarians, young voters, constitutionalists, and tea party purists.

And, says Doherty, Paul has a secret fan base that could tip him into the big leagues: apathetic voters.

“To a large extent, Ron Paul is picking from that crowd – apathetics. If you can find that politically, that’s huge,” says Doherty, saying more than 40 percent of Americans didn’t vote in 2008.

“Even people who aren’t political love his message, and they love him.”

4. What are his strengths?

“Ron Paul has a proven ability to raise money, he is well known within the Republican Party, and he has a core of enthusiastic supporters,” says Peter Hanson, a political scientist at the University of Denver.

Indeed, during the fourth quarter of 2007, Paul outraised all of his GOP contenders in the 2008 race, bringing in about $20 million. He has also set the GOP record for the greatest 24-hour fundraising drive, raising $4.2 million in a November 2007 “money bomb.”

“His fundraising mojo is strong and proven,” says Doherty.

That’s thanks in part to a legion of loyal and zealous followers, says Wes Benedict. “His motivated activist base is a big strength for him,” says Mr. Benedict, executive director of the Libertarian National Committee in Washington. “People who like Ron Paul like him a whole lot.”

Paul also comes across as authentic and unwavering in his beliefs, says Benedict. “He’s been consistent for 40 years, even his detractors say that he tells the truth the way he sees it and he sticks to his principles.”

5. What about his weaknesses?

“The party,” says Doherty, “hates him.”

Paul is the kooky uncle in the GOP family, the one who flouts political conventions, represents the fringes of Republican ideology, and refuses to walk the GOP line, says Professor Hanson.

“Many of Paul’s views are considered eccentric or downright unacceptable,” he says. “For example, he’s suggested that Social Security and Medicare may be unconstitutional and should be phased out. National Republicans look at a Paul candidacy as a recipe for disaster.”

It will be easy for rivals to paint Paul – who once said the 9/11 attacks were the Muslim world’s response to American military intervention overseas – as extremist or radical.

He’s also 75 and will be 77 by the time the 2012 election rolls around, making him the oldest GOP contender by a long shot.

If nothing else, says Doherty, “he can convincingly run as a true outsider.”

6. How's his war chest?

Between his Liberty PAC and his campaign committee, Paul has about $1.9 million cash on hand and is poised to raise much more. Major donors include Oracle Chairman Jeffrey Henley, and employees of Morning Star Co., Lockheed Martin, and Oracle Corp. Paul, who revolutionized online fundraising, inspires phenomenal fundraising feats, and once raised more than $700,000 in a 24-hour “money bomb.”

7. What is his political experience?

Paul served as the congressman from the 22nd District of Texas (1976-1977 and 1979-1985), and he currently represents the 14th District of Texas (1997-present).

8. What is his family and religious background?

Paul is married to Carolyn “Carol” Wells, with whom he has five children: Ronald “Ronnie” Paul Jr., Lori Paul Pyeatt, Randal “Rand” Paul (the junior senator from Kentucky), Robert Paul, and Joy Paul-LeBlanc; and 17 grandchildren. Raised Lutheran, Paul is now a church-going Baptist who opposes abortion, but prefers to keep his faith personal. “I have never been one who is comfortable talking about my faith in the political arena,” he said on his campaign website.

9. Has he written any books?

A prolific author, Paul has penned more than 10 books, including “Freedom Under Siege: The U.S. Constitution after 200 Years,” “A Foreign Policy of Freedom,” “End The Fed,” “The Revolution: A Manifesto,” and his most recent, “Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues That Affect Our Freedom.”

10. In his own words

"I am just absolutely convinced that the best formula for giving us peace and preserving the American way of life is freedom, limited government, and minding our own business overseas."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/ ... ning-again

Joe Fauria, MVP!

May 13th, 2011, 10:45 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Ron Paul sets sights on 2012. Ten things to know about h
He intriges me... I don't agree on a lot of things, but he seems like the he would actually stand his ground.

May 13th, 2011, 11:45 am
League MVP

so far, everything I've looked into about Ron Paul has told me he has one thing that MOST politicians lack. Inegrity. I have yet to find any cases where he said one thing and then acted differently. (without comming out and admitting he learned more and it, causing his change in stance..which is perfectly acceptable to me as long as it's not a common occurence).

While I too dont agree with EVERYTHING, I do agree on much of what is on his agenda, and truely feel he is out do to the right thing for a whole, not just for himself.

I dig ole Ron Paul!

May 13th, 2011, 12:50 pm
RIP Killer

Have to give him props and respect...

May 13th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I actually like Ron Paul a lot, but I wouldn't want him as President. I'm a huge national defense type of guy, and he obviously is not. I think he also goes a bit overboard with his drug legalization and other social Libertarian views, but I don't have much of a problem with those. I really love most of his fiscal policy views though, but even some of those are a bit out there even for me.

As Regularjoe12 said, Ron Paul has integrity, which most politicians lack. That's probably the single thing I like most about the guy. He means what he says and does what he said he would do. I also find it funny whenever there is a 434-1 vote in the House, I immediately know that Ron was the lone "No" vote and I'm right 90% of the time. He votes "no" on recognizing sports champions just because he thinks Congress has more important things to do than vote on trivial bullshit. I like that.

May 13th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

What they said. Plus, I like my presidents to be named Ron. LOL.

May 13th, 2011, 11:01 pm

The thing I would most look forward to with a Ron Paul Administration is the abolishment of the Department of Education. The thousands of bureaucrats who would be laid off would be told to seek employment in education. But they couldn't since their policies established tenure for current teachers, so there wouldn't be any openings available. Now THAT would be poetic justice. While some of them may be better qualified than the current teachers, they couldn't replace them because of their own idiotic policies. In the end, you reap what you sow.

May 13th, 2011, 11:57 pm

WARNING! - THREAD DERAILMENT

Regardless of which Republicans enter or do not enter the Presidential race, Sarah Palin has my vote. Mere words can not express how much I love and adore that woman. She is closer to my own political beliefs than any politician I have seen since Ronald Reagan. She also has more balls than any other Republican outside of Chris Christie. A libtard recently summed up why they hate her so much when he said that she means what she says. She doesn't spew rhetoric for votes. If she says something, she intends on doing it and will find a way to get it done. How many other politicians can you say that about? Ron Paul is one, but he has never been in a position to follow through with his beliefs. Sarah Palin has.

May 14th, 2011, 9:50 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
WARNING! - THREAD DERAILMENT

Regardless of which Republicans enter or do not enter the Presidential race, Sarah Palin has my vote. Mere words can not express how much I love and adore that woman. She is closer to my own political beliefs than any politician I have seen since Ronald Reagan. She also has more balls than any other Republican outside of Chris Christie. A libtard recently summed up why they hate her so much when he said that she means what she says. She doesn't spew rhetoric for votes. If she says something, she intends on doing it and will find a way to get it done. How many other politicians can you say that about? Ron Paul is one, but he has never been in a position to follow through with his beliefs. Sarah Palin has.

I never would have guessed...

May 14th, 2011, 10:14 am

Just another example of your cluelessness. :D

May 14th, 2011, 10:15 am
Pro Bowl Player

I would like Palin if she was an intelligent woman who didn't have a hard-on for the state of Israel. But alas...

If Paul doesn't get the nomination, I won't vote. He's the only viable candidate out there who would really change the direction of this country.

May 14th, 2011, 10:48 am
Veteran General Manager

Dream Ticket.

Pres. Ron Paul

Vice Pres. Sarah Palin = 1st female Vice President

8 years later Palin = 1st female President.

edited to add:

The Pinko Commy Libs would crap their pants. LOL.

May 14th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
Dream Ticket.

Pres. Ron Paul

Vice Pres. Sarah Palin = 1st female Vice President

8 years later Palin = 1st female President.

edited to add:

The Pinko Commy Libs would crap their pants. LOL.

I just got sick!

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 16th, 2011, 8:18 am
League MVP

yeah....I'd vote for Ron in a heartbeat. But Sarah......well.......ask me in another 4 years. Just not now...Im just not sold on her. Her quitting as Govenor when things got tough was not what I want to see from a president.

While it's true she simple wasn't prepared for the media blitz that came her way, (and no reasonable person would be) it's only going to get worse if she would be elected for POA. How far would she be pushed untill she quit that too?

Might as well a slapped a pair a huge ears on her and called her Mrs. H Ross Perot (sp?) at that point in my opinion.

May 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm
RIP Killer

I'd certainl never vote for Ron and I would have to revisit Sarah's stances as I honetly am not sure what they are in most areas. I would have to say that is a no-nonsense ticket for the Rep party!

May 16th, 2011, 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next