View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 10:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Offseason - Cornersbacks 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Offseason - Cornersbacks
Good writeup on the corners in the league

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... aps-count/

May 21st, 2011, 11:46 am
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Offseason - Cornersbacks
Give asamough whatever he wants.. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but if stafford stays healthy..

May 29th, 2011, 10:09 pm
RIP Killer

I would like to see Asomugha on this team, but not at the exhorbitant price he's likely going to look for and probably get. The Lions have other needs and spending all of that on one guy is ludicrous. Remember, we'll still need another corner (because if we sign Nnamdi, Houston is as good as gone) and we have current players that need re-signing (Avril particularly).

Give him whatever he wants? I don't think so.....

May 31st, 2011, 10:54 am
Varsity Captain

Alphonso smith is that other corner - one shut down cornerback makes the whole team better - if we pickup tulloch and Nandi we'll basically be the Miami heat of NFL defenses.

May 31st, 2011, 12:37 pm
RIP Killer

aughsum wrote:
Alphonso smith is that other corner - one shut down cornerback makes the whole team better - if we pickup tulloch and Nandi we'll basically be the Miami heat of NFL defenses.

As a starter? Alfonso Smith? Sorry, but we've seen what his capabilities are as a starter, and I don't wish to see it again. As a nickel back, he's solid. As a starter, he was an unmitigated failure. As I said, if we sign Asomugha, we have no chance at Chris Houston, and I doubt we'd even have enough to bring in Tulloch. You're looking at having to pay this guy in the neighborhood of $17.5 - $20 M per year. Sorry, but the Lions are more than two players away from being THAT good on either side of the ball.

May 31st, 2011, 5:59 pm
Varsity Captain

Smith is a reclamation project, but we saw some flashes of his potential last year. The addition of fairley immediately makes our secondary better, the addition of Nandi immediately makes our secondary better.

I think our defense is two players away from being THAT good.

May 31st, 2011, 6:21 pm
Team MVP

aughsum wrote:
Smith is a reclamation project, but we saw some flashes of his potential last year. The addition of fairley immediately makes our secondary better, the addition of Nandi immediately makes our secondary better.

You think so huh?

I think our D will be much improved if not very good, especially if we can get Tulloch also, and hopefully a solid CB like Jonathan Joseph.

I was watching Top 10 Worst Free Agent Signings today on NFL Network....I just dont want the Lions to make that list spending a crap load of money on one player...

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 31st, 2011, 10:01 pm
Varsity Captain

kdsberman wrote:
aughsum wrote:

You think so huh?

I think our D will be much improved if not very good, especially if we can get Tulloch also, and hopefully a solid CB like Jonathan Joseph.

I was watching Top 10 Worst Free Agent Signings today on NFL Network....I just dont want the Lions to make that list spending a crap load of money on one player...

Yep, opinions.

It's hard predicting this kind of stuff because your predictions rely on past production, not future, but I think they need to pursue Nandi, maybe he will take a pay cut to play behind that dine and be a part of what is turning out to be a great NFL story.

May 31st, 2011, 10:48 pm
RIP Killer

aughsum wrote:
Yep, opinions.

It's hard predicting this kind of stuff because your predictions rely on past production, not future, but I think they need to pursue Nandi, maybe he will take a pay cut to play behind that dine and be a part of what is turning out to be a great NFL story.

If the Lions could get Asomugha at a good price, I'd have no problem with it. To me, a good price (for someone of his skill and age) would be a 4 year deal worth about $46M or so.....which is less than he would have made in Oakland this year, on average. I just don't believe he's worth more than that.

Cornerbacks can be avoided. And if your other corner is shaky, a good QB will eat you alive, tremendous D-line or not. I'd rather have two good corners than one great one and the other a "reclamation project" that failed miserably as a starter the season before. And besides that, we really do need some linebacking help. Although I think our group of Carpenter, Palmer and Landon Johnson shows promise, I wouldn't bet the season on that.

All said, I'd take the combination of Tulloch/Joseph/Houston over Asomugha. I think we could get the three players for the price of the one.

June 1st, 2011, 2:36 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
aughsum wrote:
Yep, opinions.

If the Lions could get Asomugha at a good price, I'd have no problem with it. To me, a good price (for someone of his skill and age) would be a 4 year deal worth about $46M or so.....which is less than he would have made in Oakland this year, on average. I just don't believe he's worth more than that.

Cornerbacks can be avoided. And if your other corner is shaky, a good QB will eat you alive, tremendous D-line or not. I'd rather have two good corners than one great one and the other a "reclamation project" that failed miserably as a starter the season before. And besides that, we really do need some linebacking help. Although I think our group of Carpenter, Palmer and Landon Johnson shows promise, I wouldn't bet the season on that.

All said, I'd take the combination of Tulloch/Joseph/Houston over Asomugha. I think we could get the three players for the price of the one.

Great points!

June 1st, 2011, 2:37 pm
Team MVP

steensn wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
aughsum wrote:
Yep, opinions.

Great points!

X2. If we can get Tulloch and Joseph, Id be happier than just Nnamdi. Think of it this way, we spend all that money on Nnamdi and he gets hurt and lost for the season..

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 1st, 2011, 3:35 pm
Varsity Captain

I'd also take those 3 over Nandi, but I'd always wonder "what if"

June 2nd, 2011, 4:56 pm
RIP Killer

aughsum wrote:
I'd also take those 3 over Nandi, but I'd always wonder "what if"

No argument from me there, particularly if the "three" don't really pan out and Nnamdi goes on to earn further Pro Bowl recognition. But the odds would be in our favor....maybe....I guess.

Oh Hell, I just want them to make the f#&)#^@ team better, whoever or whatever it takes.

June 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]