View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Need advice for fantasy draft. 
Baton Girl

Post Need advice for fantasy draft.
Hey, i need advice for my first fantasy football team, the draft is in 7 days, so i need to get some quick advice on who to draft.
The league will probably have around 14 teams in it.
Here are the scoring settings for the league:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories: Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Sacks (-1)
Rushing Yards (15 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (15 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-2)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (-2)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

Fractional Points: No

Negative Points: Yes

Im thinking i should concentrate on drafting to kick rectum RBs early, am i right on that one?

I need advice on wich positions i shold focus on i each round and who i should focus on.

I think i?ll go for the Ravens D.

I need advice on if this is right or not.

August 18th, 2005, 3:28 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Need advice for fantasy draft.
SwedishILB wrote:
Im thinking i should concentrate on drafting to kick rectum RBs early, am i right on that one?

Always a good strategy. You can't go wrong with two stud RBs. Right on track so far.

SwedishILB wrote:
I need advice on wich positions i shold focus on i each round and who i should focus on.

After grabbing RBs early, typically you shift focus on adding your WRs or a QB in the next few rounds. Picking a position by round is hard, it depends on the "value" of players left on the board when you pick.

SwedishILB wrote:
I think i?ll go for the Ravens D.

The Ravens are always a solid defensive team, so everyone else will be aiming for them as well (followed by teams like the Pats and Steelers). It's hard to target a defense. You don't want to take one too early when you can still add value at QB, WR or RB. Meaning, you might be reaching (getting one to early) if you target defense.

Kickers are of less value, target those late in the draft. There are only a handful of quality TE's - grab one of those before a kicker as well.

You seem on track to me. You can build a good fantasy team around stud RBs. Then again, Peyton Manning did all sorts of damage to me last year... :?

August 18th, 2005, 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If Peyton is available, grab him. If hes not there, I would go for RBs. Alexander, Holmes Tomilson, etc. You have a lot of teams in your league, so it will be hard to get more than one awesome player.

My priorites would be
1. Peyton
2. Stud RB
3. Stud QBCulpepper, McNabb, etc
4. Stud WR, Moss, Harrison (Tony Gonzo.) etc
5. Everybody else

Raven's D would be nice, but don't get a D too early in the draft.

Free agency is where you can really make a mark.*

*bsand2053 assumes no liability for any damages as a result of following his "advice", soliticited or not. Follow his "advice" at your own risk, seeing as how bsand2053 is stupid.

August 18th, 2005, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

bsand2053 wrote:
*bsand2053 assumes no liability for any damages as a result of following his "advice", soliticited or not. Follow his "advice" at your own risk, seeing as how bsand2053 is stupid.

August 18th, 2005, 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Let's blow up that "fine print" :lol:

bsand2053 wrote:

Thanks for blowing my cover, Pablo. They might not have noticed. :evil:

:lol:

August 18th, 2005, 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Although I am not a fantasy player, I have heard this smart piece of advice. When taking a 'kick rectum' RB in the first rounds, always try to draft one of his backups in the latter rounds, just in case the starter goes down with injury. For instance, if your targeting Priest Holmes in round one, look at getting Larry Johnson later on.

August 18th, 2005, 6:39 pm
QB Coach

First two rounds, take runningbacks. You won't regret it. Take runningbacks who are in their prime. That's generally 23-29. Stay away from the 30 year old backs. These are the one's that decline in statistics.

I'd avoid Priest Holmes, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, and Warrick Dunn at all costs.

Players to target in the first round are the following:

1) Tomlinson
2) Alexander
3) James
4) McAllister
5) Portis
6) McGahee
7) Dillon
8) R. Johnson
9) Westbrook
10) J. Lewis

Do the same in the second round. Target the following:

1) J. Jones
2) K. Jones
3) D. Davis
4) T. Bell
5) A. Green
6) Arrington

Then grab a receiver/RB in the third round. You can take BPA because you've already filled your 2 RB requirement.

Avoid receivers that are rookies at all costs. Generally, receivers who are 24-28 are the best. Target the following:

1) Wayne
2) Walker
3) D. Jackson
4) S. Jackson (RB)
5) Mi. Clayton
6) Jordan (RB)
7) Suggs (RB)
8) A. Johnson
9) C. Williams (RB)

Andre Johnson is also in his 3rd "Breakout" season, although that myth isn't always true. The jump from first to 2nd year is much larger, and any receiver between their 2nd and 10th season is generally going to put up the same production.

Don't take a QB early. You can grab someone like Jake Plummer, Brett Favre, Marc Bulger or Kerry Collins later who will be fine.

August 19th, 2005, 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

I?m still not sure in wich round i should draft a defense though. I understand i should concentrate on offensive players, cos you obviusly get more points for them, but it would be nice to know wich defense/defenses will be the best in fantasy productin.

August 19th, 2005, 7:08 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

There no need to worry about defense, even if there is a run on defense. If you try to get the likes of Baltimore it will throw your team away, plus theres usually a good def in free agency....

Michael Huff for DROY

August 19th, 2005, 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Defenses like the Ravens, Bills, Jets, etc go very early (3rd or 4th round). I think that's early for a D. You can get a good D a little later. I'm an idiot and am already in a couple fantasy leagues where we've already drafted. I got RBs the first 2 rounds, D in the third (Steelers - they're lighting up the preseason in their D and ST, holy crap), then WR, TE, and QB (I got Jake Plummer - he should do pretty well and I don't need a superstud like Manning).

My advice about D's - take one in the 5th or 6th round. Go after a superstud like LDT, he will be the best move of any fantasy draft this year.

August 19th, 2005, 3:34 pm
QB Coach

Don't take a defense until the 17th round. Kickers 18th round. They are pointless and a waste of a pick. There is no difference between the top and the 10th. And it's too hard to predict the top defenses each year.

August 20th, 2005, 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]