View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Pryor OUT!!!
I'm used to it, I don't care. I won't give in on ethics if I can help it. I am not perfect, I fail at times as well... but I will hold fast on this until proven otherwise. It is the RIGHT thing to do...

June 8th, 2011, 11:28 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Not trying to call you out, but during the allegations against USC/Michigan/SMU even... did you do the same? I don't know if you did or not, just wondering.

June 8th, 2011, 11:46 am
RIP Killer

Anyone think that it is better for Pryor to:

(1) Supplimental Draft
(2) UFL for one year, then regular draft
(3) CFL for one year, then regular draft

June 8th, 2011, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: OSU and Tressel - Tressel knew of gear scheme last April
steensn wrote:
I'm seecretly hoping this can overtake the girly thread.

That is greatness steensn, well done!

June 8th, 2011, 11:51 am
Profile WWW

I still think his best bet is to go into the Supplemental Draft. If he were to go CFL or UFL, he would probably play QB, and it appears that he is not going to be an NFL QB. He will clearly take a hit in his positioning from if he had either a) come out this year or b) served the 5 game suspension and went through the 2012 draft process. But I don't think him trying to hack it against sub-par competition will do him any good. (trying hard to avoid the pay cut comment, be better than that Wayne)

Anywhere from 5th-7th round. I would take a shot on him for a 6th. Even for the Lions. Kids a specimen and runs like a gazelle. If Pat White was a second rounder...

June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am

What i'm not sure about in the Supplemental Draft is if no one takes him, would he be eligible for next years draft or have to try to sign on as a free agent?

June 8th, 2011, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Not trying to call you out, but during the allegations against USC/Michigan/SMU even... did you do the same? I don't know if you did or not, just wondering.

I did here for:

Mallet
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13891

Delany and the division names
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14212

UM, I even said I HOPE UM did enough self imposed punishement, I just posted the situation with no opinion as to their guilt
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12587&start=15

RichRod, before he continued to suck, I said opinions were being made too fast... I got burned on that one.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12823

I wasn't old enough to care about UM's transgressions in basketball.

June 8th, 2011, 12:24 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I still think his best bet is to go into the Supplemental Draft. If he were to go CFL or UFL, he would probably play QB, and it appears that he is not going to be an NFL QB. He will clearly take a hit in his positioning from if he had either a) come out this year or b) served the 5 game suspension and went through the 2012 draft process. But I don't think him trying to hack it against sub-par competition will do him any good. (trying hard to avoid the pay cut comment, be better than that Wayne)

Anywhere from 5th-7th round. I would take a shot on him for a 6th. Even for the Lions. Kids a specimen and runs like a gazelle. If Pat White was a second rounder...

I'd take him if he was willing to play WR.

June 8th, 2011, 12:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

bah! all this coddleing and empathising for a duechebag.....turns my stomach.

At the end of the day we are defined by our actions. NOT our intentions. no one will ever remmeber the adversity we face when making the actions that define us. they will only remember how re reacted.

His actions were thusly written. He claimed he'd serve a suspension that was delayed so he could play in the game of his career. did he play in that big game? ok great, did he serve his suspension like what was agreed upon? there is no speculation here. no conclusions needed to be pondered or debated. it's pretty freakin clear cut.

I will say this though to show that I too can be fair...If it was indeed the school that asked him to leave then I will declare how wrong I am and state clearly the he is not the biggest duchebag of the year...in such a case that honor would be left to the school itself.

June 8th, 2011, 4:04 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

To help steens outdo the girlie thread... yeah right

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... usc_060811

Quote:
Why the OSU case is worse than that of USC
Dan Wetzel

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports 55 minutes ago

Among the latest avalanche of allegations surrounding the Ohio State football program here’s the one that could be the kill shot, the one that, if true, should cause the NCAA to level sanctions against the Buckeyes far in excess of even the carpet bombing it delivered to USC last year.

The website SportsByBrooks reported that the NCAA enforcement staff has discovered “dozens of payments [quarterback Terrelle] Pryor received in past years from a Columbus sports memorabilia dealer. … the NCAA violations were discovered when the name of the local memorabilia dealer, Dennis Talbott, was seen on checks Pryor was depositing in his personal bank account.”

Checks? Seriously, checks? In the long, illustrious history of NCAA violations, the existence of a paper trail of deposited checks is almost unprecedented. Bags of cash? Absolutely. Tricked-out car registered in grandma’s name? Standard operating procedure. Downtown condos where the rent is never due? Of course.

Checks? Oh, my.

If this is true then it’s the big one for Ohio State because there is nothing the NCAA likes more than the irrefutable evidence that documents provide. It’s why so many cases involve seemingly minor violations such as excessive phone calls. Cell bills don’t lie.

The checks would be more than just proof that Pryor, who left the program on Tuesday, was accepting compensation for signing memorabilia, which is a violation of NCAA rules.

It could be the smoking gun that proves Ohio State’s 11-day investigation last December into Pryor and his teammates profiting off memorabilia sales was nothing but a shallow show designed to sweep the scandal under the rug and get the players back on the field for the upcoming Sugar Bowl.

It’s the proof that the school, and its highest leaders, not only failed to monitor the behavior of its star athletes, but even when tipped off by federal authorities of a major scandal, failed to find out what was actually going on.

While it may be Gestapo-esque, Ohio State always had the ability to access Pryor’s bank records. That’s one of many rights student-athletes are forced to give up in exchange for a scholarship and it’s how the NCAA could get them during its current investigation into the program.

“At the beginning of each school year student athletes sign a statement that gives consent for that information to the school,” said NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn, who would only confirm there is an ongoing investigation at OSU.

(For the record, let’s reiterate our disagreement with this, among other NCAA policies, which are mostly designed to maintain some veneer of amateurism so schools can profit from not paying either players or taxes. However, these are the rules the schools themselves created and should be on the hook to obey.)

If there are deposited checks from a memorabilia dealer in Pryor’s account, then the school should have found them in December. There is simply no excuse for not uncovering them. This isn’t a hundred-dollar handshake in a back alley somewhere. It’s all there in black and white. All they had to do was look at the statements.

Instead, 11 days later, a time frame that included repeated lobbying to the NCAA reinstatement committee in an effort to maintain a full roster for the Sugar Bowl, the school concluded its investigation with no such discovery.

“There are no other NCAA violations around this case,” athletic director Gene Smith implausibly declared. “We’re very fortunate we do not have a systemic problem in our program. This is isolated to these young men, isolated to this particular incident. There are no other violations that exist.”

In fact, there were many other violations. Sports Illustrated has since found nine other players tied to the tattoo parlor. The Columbus Dispatch has since raised questions of why more than 50 players and family members purchased automobiles from the same local used car lots.

And now there is word that sitting in Pryor’s bank records all along were checks from a memorabilia dealer and part-time photographer that SportsByBrooks claims was banned from attending games by OSU in the middle of the 2010 season.

Throughout this case it’s been the cover up, not the crime, that’s ruined everything. What could’ve been brief suspensions for a few players has, courtesy of mismanagement, snowballed into a scandal that could level the program.

First coach Jim Tressel resigned last month because he failed to alert his bosses of the memorabilia deals back in April of 2010.

Now here comes an even bigger problem.

USC was drilled with a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships for not keeping tabs on star player Reggie Bush and his dealings with two separate sports marketing agencies. A key part of the case came down to the NCAA claiming that the school (through one assistant coach) either did know or should have known about the relationships. It also leaned on a concept that claimed “high-profile players demand high-profile compliance.”

The initial news of Bush receiving impermissible benefits didn’t come out until three months after the Heisman winner had left school and turned pro.

The word on Pryor came while he was still a student-athlete. It was followed by the push to keep him eligible for the Sugar Bowl.

If USC was guilty of not acting on allegations that weren’t made until after a player’s career was over, then Ohio State faces the more significant problem of not fully acting on allegations made while a player’s career was still active. Plus there are more players than just Pryor involved.

This is on Gene Smith. And it’s on school president E. Gordon Gee and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, both of whom rubber stamped the investigation that even those uninitiated in NCAA procedure knew was ridiculous. Gee and Delany have no excuse for playing along with such a whitewash.

If Ohio State and the Big Ten were really committed to following NCAA rules, Smith, Gee and Delany would’ve given up on the reinstatement process, conceded a likely loss to the hated SEC in the Sugar Bowl and dug in for a true exhaustive look at the situation. At the very least it would have taken a look at Pryor’s bank account.

When it comes to the NCAA, the issue isn’t usually the initial violation (those happen everywhere). It’s how the school responds.

For Ohio State, it was another form of the cover-up Tressel started nine months prior. This is college sports’ highest-paid AD (Smith), highest-paid president (Gee) and arguably most-powerful person (Delany), millionaires one and all, making a mockery of the very NCAA statutes and procedures they create, enforce and claim to hold dear.

In one purposefully weak internal investigation, they managed to put the proud Ohio State football program directly in the NCAA crosshairs, debased decades of honor from former players, coaches and fans and all but begged for sanctions even more crippling than the Trojans received.

Hope that win over Arkansas was worth it, guys.

June 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm
RIP Killer

Look, situations change. If they changed because of HIS real and poor decisions then yes his honor is crap. If they came from bad journalism and a need to sensationalize by the media, then it's not his fault. His requirement to play and come back next year was NOT a promise to the NCAA, it was a promise to a coach who was teaching them to own up to their mistakes whom you've demonized for making one himself. It's a lose lose situation for him, screw anyone who feels they have a right to look down on him not knowing anything about the stuff going on behind the scenes.

June 8th, 2011, 4:27 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
I'm seecretly hoping this can overtake the girly thread.

That is greatness steensn, well done!

I can't think of a thread that has grown this fast and this large. I have high hopes.

June 8th, 2011, 4:28 pm
RIP Killer

MC who has turned a new leaf with Tressel's help blames the players. But obviously he his postively biased towards OSU because he went there even though he had the worse falling out of any football player in NCAA history (I'm not aware of any worse). So he couldn't have a reason to hold a grudge or anything... so I expect bias to be called here because he is a former player (even if other former players are treated like 100% truth tellers for agreeing with you).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_ ... -crea.html

Quote:
There's no secret regime, there's no secret congregation of people who sit around at Ohio State who gives young guys money,” he said on the "Dan Patrick Show." “Anything that any player goes and gets is all based on him and who he meets in the community. The coaches and the university have no control over what the young guy's doing.”

Quote:
Clarett said, recalling his own time on campus: "There wasn't any coach or any booster or any member in or around Ohio State who helps you get a car. It doesn't go on. It's just guys doing what they want to. People will forever do what they want to. It's nothing more than young guys making mistakes."

June 8th, 2011, 4:30 pm
RIP Killer

njroar, again, if this sensationalistic article is deamed correct, it is certainly daming. I can't see how it is somehow worse than someone recieving $300,000 unless the figures start getting into 6 digits for some reason.

June 8th, 2011, 4:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

no dude, stop making excuses for him! how we respond to adversity is what makes us who we are! thats the actions I was referring to. were things tougher than he originally expected?? hell yes. were they neccesarily fair? maybe not. But that in no way gives excuse to dispalys of weak character. especially when the "unjust" eye of the media became centered onto him for reasons HE caused. your sympathy is simply unwarranted IMO.

It's EXCACTLY like when I told Sly why Im not a supporter of his dream girl (Palin). I cant stand that she quit when things got tough for her as govener. he did like you are doing now and gave lots of examples about how life isnt fair, and things are just too tough to stay by your word in todays day and age and i said the same thing then that I say to you...bullcrap. if you dont follow up with what you say you are, then you are NOTHING. No excuses short of a gun to your head can change that.

( and im not sure that i read that part right, but I never demonized JT. I pretty much stayed outta that convo.)

June 8th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 68  Next