View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 NFC North cap status with $120M limit 
Modmin Dude

Post NFC North cap status with $120M limit
ESPN wrote:
NFC North cap status with $120M limit
July, 11, 2011

By Kevin Seifert

Some of you might already have seen John Clayton's projection of the NFL's 2011 salary cap, which will return at least some teams to the era of cap-induced cuts and adjustments after years of escalated spending.

Clayton estimates a 2011 cap of $120 million for each team. That's about a six percent drop from the most recent cap in 2009, and it would require adjustments for two NFC North teams in order to be compliant. Below is a look at the cap status of all four of our teams along with some thoughts on potential impact:

Chicago Bears
Cap status: About $37 million under

Comment: If anything, the Bears will have to spend significantly in order to exceed the cap "floor," or the minimum expenditure required. Regardless, all indications have been that the Bears are prepared to be active in free agency. At least one starting-caliber offensive lineman should be on their shopping list.

Detroit Lions
Cap status: About $16.5 million under
Comment: The Lions are positioned to pursue cornerbacks and/or linebackers on the free agent market. But the big question everyone is asking: Can they fit cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha under the cap? The answer, as always in the case of the salary cap, is yes. Any one player can be squeezed in as long as the team is comfortable with the consequences. The Lions would need to make a priority judgment on whether Asomugha is worth the cap percentage he would consume or if they should use it on multiple other players.

Green Bay Packers
Cap status: About $62,000 under
Comment: As Clayton notes, the Packers have a couple relatively easy fixes. They seem likely to part ways with linebacker Nick Barnett, saving $4.4 million against the cap. Right tackle Mark Tauscher's presumed departure would erase another $4.5 million. And in reality, the Packers' biggest upcoming expenditures will be signing their draft class and probably kicker Mason Crosby.

Minnesota Vikings
Cap status: About $5.1 million over
Comment: Clayton suggests two fixes: Releasing receiver Bernard Berrian and extending the contract of tailback Adrian Peterson, who is scheduled for a monster base salary of $10.72 million. Coach Leslie Frazier said this offseason that he wants Berrian to return, and extending Peterson will be a delicate, complex and time-consuming project. You at least have to wonder how active the Vikings will be on the free agent market.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... 120m-limit

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 11th, 2011, 2:35 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: NFC North cap status with $120M limit
The Packers, with a young and realatively cheap squad, are poised to make a long run in the division!

July 11th, 2011, 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Not a bad situation to be in...

July 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
The Packers, with a young and realatively cheap squad, are poised to make a long run in the division!

They'll need solid depth at RB for that to happen, but I agree they're in a great position

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 11th, 2011, 4:22 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:

They'll need solid depth at RB for that to happen, but I agree they're in a great position

Well they did draft Alex Green out of Hawaii to go along with Grant who is still in his 20's. Rookie James Starks also did pretty well in the playoffs and they still have Brandon Jackson.

July 11th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think Jackson is about as good as gone. Grant/Starks/Green are going to be the RB's moving forward in GB.

July 11th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I saw an article in the Free Press that said the Lions had $112M committed for this year, while the ESPN article above implies it's $103.5M. When I did this earlier in the year, I came up with $109M (after Peterson got cut), but I was guessing at a lot of stuff. In addition, I would think that the cap would be closer to the $127M 2009 figure than $120M. The truth is that nobody really knows at this point and won't until all the new accounting and salary cap rules are known.

July 12th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]