View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Trade Deadline 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Trade Deadline
Via Twitter:
Quote:
Buster Olney
The Tigers are being aggressive right now in asking about pitching -- and they're checking on high-end guys, not just the third-tier guys.

July 15th, 2011, 11:51 am
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
Via Twitter:
Quote:
Buster Olney
The Tigers are being aggressive right now in asking about pitching -- and they're checking on high-end guys, not just the third-tier guys.

Of course. A year too stinking late. Dumb Rowski should have gone after Lee last year with guns a blazing. But, the dumb turd went after a stinking journey man in Penny in order to save a few bucks. How did that work out for you Dumb Rowski? While Penny isn't the worst SP we have, he is NO SOLUTION. Verlander + Lee = WS CHAMPIONSHIP season or 2 or 3 or more.

July 15th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Penny has been adequate for the fourth spot in the rotation but Porcello has been a disappointment this year and the 5th SP has been a disaster. Maybe DD hands were tied in the off season by the purse strings in getting a top flight pitcher but you have to remember that Detroit probably isn't at the top of the list for FA destinations. They are fotunate that Verlander is having such an outstanding year, if he wasn't, this team would be lucky to be above .500.

July 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

DUMB Rowski's to do list:

Acquire Edwin Jackson in trade. CHECK
Let Edwin Jackson walk at end of season after he pitches very good for us. CHECK
Allow the team that signed Edwin Jackson to trade him to a division opponent. CHECK
Allow Edwin Jackson to sodomize my team twice this year because DUMB Rowski is a moron. CHECK.

July 17th, 2011, 8:36 pm
League MVP

Quote:

Let Edwin Jackson walk at end of season after he pitches very good for us. CHECK
Allow the team that signed Edwin Jackson to trade him to a division opponent. CHECK
Allow Edwin Jackson to sodomize my team twice this year because DUMB Rowski is a moron. CHECK.

Edwin Jackson was traded for Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth therefore remove your 2nd check. There is no way to control who another team trades with and BTW the White Sox gave up a very good young pitcher in Daniel Hudson to get Jackson which they may regret right now and moreso when Jackson hits FA well before Hudson will. Jackson's record vs the Tigers is like 3-2....def not complete dominance despite his recent success.

July 18th, 2011, 12:55 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Edwin Jackson was traded for Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth therefore remove your 2nd check. There is no way to control who another team trades with and BTW the White Sox gave up a very good young pitcher in Daniel Hudson to get Jackson which they may regret right now and moreso when Jackson hits FA well before Hudson will. Jackson's record vs the Tigers is like 3-2....def not complete dominance despite his recent success.

NNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'll leave the check there. Just change the sentence to:

Trade a really good Edwin Jackson for 2 scrubs at SP.

And the Tigers very well could have kept the White Sox from getting Jackson. By simply not trading him away in the first place.

July 18th, 2011, 9:13 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

NNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'll leave the check there. Just change the sentence to:

Trade a really good Edwin Jackson for 2 scrubs at SP.

And the Tigers very well could have kept the White Sox from getting Jackson. By simply not trading him away in the first place.

Max Scherzer is a scrub now huh? I'll take Scherzer over Jackson all day long. He's struggled a little bit as of late but to start the season I clearly remember talks of Scherzer and not JV being the ace of the team. Saying that I will say I never agreed with that statement but I could see why people were saying that then.

July 19th, 2011, 8:54 am
League MVP

@Billy Sims

You lose credibility with ridiculous statements like Max Scherzer is a scrub or by thinking that Schlereth is a starting pitcher. One takes it as you either dont follow the team or that your opinions are completely baseless.

I agree that Jackson was a good pitcher for the Tigers but you clearly dont understand the reasons for the trade. Scherzer is only one year younger than Jackson but had less MLB service time meaning that he plays on a much cheaper contract. As for talent, these two are roughly equal but I think Scherzer will go on to have the better career. To throw in a potentially dominant LEFT handed reliever with a power arsenal and who was a recent 1st rd pick gave the Tigers an overwhelming edge in talent for that trade.

As for a comparison of Scherzer vs Jackson since the trade:

Jackson
2010: 10W - 12L 209.1 IP 4.47 ERA 1.39 WHIP .265 AVG
2011: 6W-7L 115.2 IP 3.97 ERA 1.43 WHIP .285 AVG

3-2 vs the Tigers as a member of ARI and CWS

Scherzer
2010: 12W-11L 195.2 IP 3.50 ERA 1.25 WHIP .244 AVG
2011: 10W-5L 119.1 IP 4.53 ERA 1.41 WHIP .278 AVG

2-2 vs the White Sox and 1-0 vs Arizona.

So if you look at the 1.5 season comparison, Scherzer has been better in every regard except innings. Stated more clearly for you, Scherzer has the better W-L record, ERA, WHIP and batting avg against.

Now for the money. Jackson's salary for 2011 is $8.75 million. Scherzer is making $600,000. Jackson is making more than 14x Scherzer's salary.

Tell me again which player you would rather have?

July 20th, 2011, 10:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
@Billy Sims

You lose credibility with ridiculous statements like Max Scherzer is a scrub or by thinking that Schlereth is a starting pitcher. One takes it as you either dont follow the team or that your opinions are completely baseless.

I agree that Jackson was a good pitcher for the Tigers but you clearly dont understand the reasons for the trade. Scherzer is only one year younger than Jackson but had less MLB service time meaning that he plays on a much cheaper contract. As for talent, these two are roughly equal but I think Scherzer will go on to have the better career. To throw in a potentially dominant LEFT handed reliever with a power arsenal and who was a recent 1st rd pick gave the Tigers an overwhelming edge in talent for that trade.

As for a comparison of Scherzer vs Jackson since the trade:

Jackson
2010: 10W - 12L 209.1 IP 4.47 ERA 1.39 WHIP .265 AVG
2011: 6W-7L 115.2 IP 3.97 ERA 1.43 WHIP .285 AVG

3-2 vs the Tigers as a member of ARI and CWS

Scherzer
2010: 12W-11L 195.2 IP 3.50 ERA 1.25 WHIP .244 AVG
2011: 10W-5L 119.1 IP 4.53 ERA 1.41 WHIP .278 AVG

2-2 vs the White Sox and 1-0 vs Arizona.

So if you look at the 1.5 season comparison, Scherzer has been better in every regard except innings. Stated more clearly for you, Scherzer has the better W-L record, ERA, WHIP and batting avg against.

Now for the money. Jackson's salary for 2011 is $8.75 million. Scherzer is making $600,000. Jackson is making more than 14x Scherzer's salary.

Tell me again which player you would rather have?

Excuse me for not being as educated as you are about the Tigers. I don't have time to follow stats. And perhaps, I should have just ended the statement at 2 scrubs. But, every time I tune in when either of them are pitching, it seams like 1 of them are blowing the game out their dairy air. Maybe, they will get it together and be a great pair of pitchers for us. But, right now, I would have preferred to keep Jackson. Just my opinion. You can have your opinion. I can have mine. And I reserve the right to vent on Dumb Rowski anytime I feel like it, for any reason I feel like venting about.

July 20th, 2011, 8:54 pm
Afghan Allstar

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110720&content_id=22067010&vkey=news_det&c_id=det

Tigers add Wilson Betemit to upgrade 3rd Base.

July 20th, 2011, 9:24 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Excuse me for not being as educated as you are about the Tigers. I don't have time to follow stats. And perhaps, I should have just ended the statement at 2 scrubs. But, every time I tune in when either of them are pitching, it seams like 1 of them are blowing the game out their dairy air. Maybe, they will get it together and be a great pair of pitchers for us. But, right now, I would have preferred to keep Jackson. Just my opinion. You can have your opinion. I can have mine. And I reserve the right to vent on Dumb Rowski anytime I feel like it, for any reason I feel like venting about.

Ever think that if you followed the White Sox that you'd realize that Jackson isnt so great either? Dont you remember how he folded down the stretch for our team 2 years ago when we lost a late season lead to the Twins?

I gave you the stats in the previous posts so dont say that you dont have time. Which player do you want? Scherzer at 1/14th the price + Schlereth or Jackson? Its okay for you to have an opinion and then change it based on actual evidence rather than one game you watched two weeks ago... Vent on about Dombrowski as you like but the Arizona part of that trade favored the Tigers and probably 100% of major league GMs would agree.

July 21st, 2011, 1:10 am
League MVP

Quote:
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110720&content_id=22067010&vkey=news_det&c_id=det

Tigers add Wilson Betemit to upgrade 3rd Base.

what are people s thoughts on this? Seems like a decent enough move, not a huge move but one that will help. I like that he gives us potentially a third everyday player that can hit from both sides. Curios to see what happens with Inge

July 21st, 2011, 1:24 am
QB Coach

all I can say is that Purcey has got to go!!! He cost the Tigers 4, and 8 balls and only 2 strikes, and that was the inning that gave the A's the lead. Had fun at the game though! Sat next to some other Brits who are Lions, Tigers, and Redwings fans though, and no it wasn't UK Lion, I asked.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 21st, 2011, 1:49 am
League MVP

Was at the game, agree that Purcey was absolutely brutal...walked the 8, 9 and 1 hitters with no outs to start the 7th. 8 and 9 guys had sub .200 batting averages...

July 21st, 2011, 5:54 am
Heisman Winner

He can't be any worse than Brandon Cr-Inge and his 2nd lowest BBA in the AL.

July 21st, 2011, 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next