View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What happened to the Pistons??? 
League MVP

Post Re: What happened to the Pistons???
regards to coaching: Laimbeer is simply not ready - hes only had 1 or 2 years as an assistant in the league and that is with a terrible minnesota team. hiring him at this point with the pistons would be a publicity stunt that would sell some season tickets but would fizzle fast.Think Alan Trammell with the Tigers. The pistons are still many moves away from being a good team and laimbeer would probably fizzle just as fast as michael curry (similar inexperience) under those circumstances. Laimbeer could potentially be a good Kirk Gibson type leader but he has to put in the time and gather the experience to be a successful NBA coach. Dumars did him a favor in giving him an interview - in no way is Laimbeer more qualified than Woodson and Frank...

July 16th, 2011, 9:53 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think this indecision over who the coach is going to be is more of a battle between Dumars and Dave Checketts, who Gore brought in as a consultant.

July 16th, 2011, 10:45 am
Varsity Captain

The Legend wrote:
regards to coaching: Laimbeer is simply not ready - hes only had 1 or 2 years as an assistant in the league and that is with a terrible minnesota team. hiring him at this point with the pistons would be a publicity stunt that would sell some season tickets but would fizzle fast.Think Alan Trammell with the Tigers. The pistons are still many moves away from being a good team and laimbeer would probably fizzle just as fast as michael curry (similar inexperience) under those circumstances. Laimbeer could potentially be a good Kirk Gibson type leader but he has to put in the time and gather the experience to be a successful NBA coach. Dumars did him a favor in giving him an interview - in no way is Laimbeer more qualified than Woodson and Frank...

Alan trammel failed with the tigers, so bill laimbeer will fail with the pistons?

Laimbeer and curry have similar experience?

July 16th, 2011, 6:58 pm
League MVP

Laimbeer is inexperienced as an NBA coach just like Curry was.

If he were hired it would be analogous to the Trammel hiring with the Tigers - bring in a hometown hero to preside over a team that will be bad no matter who the coach is. Unlikely to succeed and unfair to Laimbeer just as it was to Trammel but would perk up interest for a short amount of time.

July 18th, 2011, 12:59 am
Varsity Captain

I'd rather have a good wnba coach than a bad nba coach.

July 19th, 2011, 5:32 pm
League MVP

So now Woodson and Frank are bad NBA coaches just because you like Laimbeer? Grow up...

Let Laimbeer put in his time as an assistant and maybe he will get a shot at coaching the Pistons at some point in the future.

July 20th, 2011, 10:43 am
Varsity Captain

The Legend wrote:
So now Woodson and Frank are bad NBA coaches just because you like Laimbeer? Grow up...

Let Laimbeer put in his time as an assistant and maybe he will get a shot at coaching the Pistons at some point in the future.

I think woodsen is a bad coach because he has a losing record and his last team walked all over him in the playoffs, resulting in his firing. I don't know who franks is. There's more to this then me just wanting laimbeer. Grow up..

July 20th, 2011, 9:47 pm
League MVP

It wasnt long ago that the Pistons were battling Lawrence Frank's nets in the playoffs seemingly year after year.

I d be interested in hearing why you think Laimbeer would be such a good coach for the current Pistons.

I think Laimbeer will be a good coach with time but not immediately and almost definitely not with the Pistons current roster. I think if he did take the job it would be a sort of career killer as we would be almost certain to fail here.

July 21st, 2011, 1:21 am
Varsity Captain

The Legend wrote:
It wasnt long ago that the Pistons were battling Lawrence Frank's nets in the playoffs seemingly year after year.

I d be interested in hearing why you think Laimbeer would be such a good coach for the current Pistons.

I think Laimbeer will be a good coach with time but not immediately and almost definitely not with the Pistons current roster. I think if he did take the job it would be a sort of career killer as we would be almost certain to fail here.

Laimbeer took the worst team in the wnba and turned them into the best team in the wnba in what, 1 year? Have woodsen or franks ever won anything? Also, the gimmick factor - Detroit needs a coach that both the players and the fans can get behind - read some of the comments on the articles about the coaching search, 90% of the fans want laimbeer - some are homers who want him just because he played for the pistons, some have valid reasons, either way, the fans want him and without the fans there are no pistons.

I agree with you that it might not be his time, but I wouldn't attribute that to his lack of experience, IMO hes more experienced than woodsen and franks, I'd say he'd be better suited for the job after Joe d is fired. Joe d will give him garbage role players and fire him in two years after he fails to make something out of nothing. Gores said he's giving Joe d 3 years to turn the team around, by then lams will probably land a hc job somewhere else and we'll be sorry we didn't get him.

July 21st, 2011, 10:34 am
The Legend wrote:
Laimbeer is inexperienced as an NBA coach just like Curry was.

If he were hired it would be analogous to the Trammel hiring with the Tigers - bring in a hometown hero to preside over a team that will be bad no matter who the coach is. Unlikely to succeed and unfair to Laimbeer just as it was to Trammel but would perk up interest for a short amount of time.

There's a big difference between Alan Trammel and Bill Laimbeer. Trammel didn't have the personality to be a manager, Bill does. Alan Trammel sounded ridiculous when he tried to be authoritative, Bill Laimbeer doesn't. When Trammel talks people don't listen, when BL talks people listen to every word he says.

IMO the same is true about Curry. He was just too damn nice. Laimbeer won't have that problem, guaranteed.

July 21st, 2011, 12:24 pm
Varsity Captain

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... ons_072011

Guess that's that.

I'm done.

July 21st, 2011, 5:55 pm
League MVP

Quote:
There's a big difference between Alan Trammel and Bill Laimbeer. Trammel didn't have the personality to be a manager, Bill does. Alan Trammel sounded ridiculous when he tried to be authoritative, Bill Laimbeer doesn't. When Trammel talks people don't listen, when BL talks people listen to every word he says.

IMO the same is true about Curry. He was just too damn nice. Laimbeer won't have that problem, guaranteed.

100% agree about Trammel. I didnt see enough of Curry to really know but he also made bad coaching decisions and I thought his strategy in games was awful...Laimbeer is more comparable to Kirk Gibson but Gibson is having some success now after spending some time as an MLB bench coach. Laimbeer's experience with the WNBA certainly helps but he needs more experience managing the personalities in today's game. If its his goal I bet Laimbeer will eventually become a good NBA coach I just think the current Pistons roster doesnt present much of an oppurtunity for success and could kill an inexperienced coach ala Curry or even a career assistant ala Kuester.

July 22nd, 2011, 9:40 am
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

100% agree about Trammel. I didnt see enough of Curry to really know but he also made bad coaching decisions and I thought his strategy in games was awful...Laimbeer is more comparable to Kirk Gibson but Gibson is having some success now after spending some time as an MLB bench coach. Laimbeer's experience with the WNBA certainly helps but he needs more experience managing the personalities in today's game. If its his goal I bet Laimbeer will eventually become a good NBA coach I just think the current Pistons roster doesnt present much of an oppurtunity for success and could kill an inexperienced coach ala Curry or even a career assistant ala Kuester.

I don't disagree there. We have a gang of malcontents and misfits, it's hardly a team, and it is a less than ideal situation for any coach to walk into. That said, I hope BL gets a shot, and I hope he gets his shot here. I think this new guy is a stepping stone, not a long-term answer. I'd like BL to come in after we start getting things together and really do something with this team. We'll see I guess.

July 22nd, 2011, 1:54 pm
League MVP

thats exactly how i feel on the hire

July 23rd, 2011, 3:07 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

By the way, the Pistons play the Bucks tonight... I'm setting Piston points at 76... the average of their last 4 games (and average attendance at The Palace, coincidentally). Anyone willing to take that over?

Yikes this team is bad!

January 12th, 2012, 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next