View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 10:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Trade Deadline 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Trade Deadline
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110720&content_id=22067010&vkey=news_det&c_id=det

Tigers add Wilson Betemit to upgrade 3rd Base.

what are people s thoughts on this? Seems like a decent enough move, not a huge move but one that will help. I like that he gives us potentially a third everyday player that can hit from both sides. Curios to see what happens with Inge

Should give us an everyday 3B like you said and I believe he is hitting around .280, a hundred points above Inge's average but he has not been an everyday player so I'm not sure if he can keep that average up. Being a switch hitter is also a huge plus, even when you are an average hitter. Not sure about his defense, I believe he is average to a bit above average on D but it even seems that Inge's D has slipped this year. I believe Inge was DFA'd, usually the kiss of death for a MLB player. He said he was willing to go to Toledo if he cleared waivers which I believe is one of the first steps in the DFA process.

July 21st, 2011, 9:03 am

WarEr4Christ wrote:
all I can say is that Purcey has got to go!!! He cost the Tigers 4, and 8 balls and only 2 strikes, and that was the inning that gave the A's the lead. Had fun at the game though! Sat next to some other Brits who are Lions, Tigers, and Redwings fans though, and no it wasn't UK Lion, I asked.

These are the moves that DD makes that makes me shake my head at times, why not keep Sizemore and develop him then trade him for an uderperforming reliever. I believe the Tigers are the third team Purcey has pitch for this year, so you would believe that would of been some type of warning. This is at least the second game I can recall that Purcey has blown and there are probably more, those are losses that could of been wins.

July 21st, 2011, 9:10 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I agree that trade is guaranteed to backfire in the long run. Purcey has been around long enough that we know we will be an average at best reliever while Sizemore was still a prospect who was killing AAA but struggling in the majors kind of a 4A player with a chance to be more. At the time of the trade though the Tigers bullpen was incredibly desperate for an arm, any arm and I guess they were worried that they didnt have help from within the system. As it turns out Furbush, Wilk, Oliveros, etc have all been decent and Purcey was not really needed. Now if we could get more of a high end bullpen type pitcher I d be for it but to trade a prospect projected as a starter just seemed like a knee jerk frustration driven move.

July 21st, 2011, 12:39 pm

One of Leyland's biggest criticism is his management of the bullpen over the years. I know Benoit has been somewhat of a disappointment this year but why does it seem we always have injuries in the bullpen, guys like Zumaya, Seay, Perry and Al Al this year have been injured and the younger guys like Schlerth, Olivarios, Perry and Wilk seem to lack in thier deveolpment? Al Al seems to be the only positive out of the pen this year besides Valverde.

July 21st, 2011, 1:06 pm
RIP Killer

Scotty had his shot and he's no spring chicken...he had his shot and was horrible. He's not exactly raking in choke land, so why not?

People bitched about the peralta trade and now they look like clowns. Peralta was traded for a nobody and he is he best hitting SS in the league right now.

The Wilson trade was a good trade, a little costly in 2 pitchers, but no top prospects. Wilson is on a 1 year $1M deal, so no big whoop. He won't be a type a or b so he won't cost a lot to resign. Win in my book

July 21st, 2011, 9:11 pm

Looks like a good trade for the Tigs even though Fister is 3-12 his era is decent and he has been pitching for the Mariners who have been pretty awful offensively this year. The reliever looks solid too:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

July 30th, 2011, 1:12 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The headline, "Fister for a Furbush" has to be the funniest in a long time.

July 30th, 2011, 2:08 pm

The Legend wrote:
I agree that trade is guaranteed to backfire in the long run. Purcey has been around long enough that we know we will be an average at best reliever while Sizemore was still a prospect who was killing AAA but struggling in the majors kind of a 4A player with a chance to be more. At the time of the trade though the Tigers bullpen was incredibly desperate for an arm, any arm and I guess they were worried that they didnt have help from within the system. As it turns out Furbush, Wilk, Oliveros, etc have all been decent and Purcey was not really needed. Now if we could get more of a high end bullpen type pitcher I d be for it but to trade a prospect projected as a starter just seemed like a knee jerk frustration driven move.

Purcey was DFA'd yesterday, so we basically gave Sizemore away :-k

August 3rd, 2011, 11:36 am
grgrundge wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Purcey was DFA'd yesterday, so we basically gave Sizemore away :-k

Purcey will be back in the majors. He lost his confidence here for some reason, and couldn't get the dam ball over the plate to save his life. We got a 3rd basemen, Sizemore would have just sat around and filled in here and there. IMO everything worked out in the end. Good trade deadline week for us, IMO.

August 3rd, 2011, 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3