View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vick urges Congress to make attending dog fight FED crime 
Modmin Dude

Post Vick urges Congress to make attending dog fight FED crime
I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised to see this; good for him, maybe he really has changed.....
PFT wrote:
Vick urges Congress to make attending a dog fight a federal crime
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 19, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT

Michael Vick was on Capitol Hill this morning asking Congress to pass a law against something Vick himself used to do often: Attending dog fights.

Organizing dog fights is already illegal, and Vick served 21 months in prison after admitting that he spent several years running a dog fighting ring. But Vick is now pressing the case that even attending an animal fight should be a crime.

“I deeply regret my previous involvement in dog fighting, I’m sorry for what I did to the animals,” Vick said at a news conference. “During my time in prison, I told myself I wanted to be part of the solution, not the problem.”

Vick is urging Congress to pass the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act of 2011, which would strengthen penalties for people who finance animal fighting and make it illegal to attend or bring children to illegal cockfights and dog fights.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ral-crime/

More info on the bill can be found here

July 20th, 2011, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Vick urges Congress to make attending dog fight FED crim
Looks like he has turned a new leaf.

July 20th, 2011, 10:39 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm still not sold on Vicks total rehabilatation, is it really sincerity that I'm hearing or PR moves by his entourage? My jury is still out on him.

July 20th, 2011, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

grgrundge wrote:
I'm still not sold on Vicks total rehabilatation, is it really sincerity that I'm hearing or PR moves by his entourage? My jury is still out on him.

Boy, sure sounds like you are still holding a grgrundge!

July 20th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pablo wrote:
grgrundge wrote:

Maybe, I'm just not as convinced as you are.

July 20th, 2011, 1:09 pm
RIP Killer

Everyone makes mistakes... bigger and smaller ones and we all change and learn from them. He doesn't need to do this for PR reasons... he's a starting QB and most people have gotten over it. This is going above and beyond IMO showing he really has turned a cheek.

July 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

And regardless, it is still a popular figure once polarized for this crime , pushing for harsher punishment on "lesser versions" of the same crime. This is a good thing for Animal Advocates everywhere.

July 20th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I STILL believe he deserved a 1 year suspension, but that aside he has done is time and warrants a fresh start on making an impression. He seems to be doing the right things when the public eye is looking, and thats all that can be asked for. I wont say im a fan, but I'm not a hater either.

Thats said I do take issue with him calling for steeper penalites mentioned above. I find it the same kinda hypocritcal BS I couldn't stand about "W" and his increase in penalties on coke usage in Texas when he was Govenor. If either of those guys faced the tougher laws they suggested (or implemented as the case may be) NEITHER ONE has the career they ended with. I call SHENNANNIGANS on that.

July 20th, 2011, 8:21 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Thats said I do take issue with him calling for steeper penalites mentioned above. I find it the same kinda hypocritcal BS I couldn't stand about "W" and his increase in penalties on coke usage in Texas when he was Govenor. If either of those guys faced the tougher laws they suggested (or implemented as the case may be) NEITHER ONE has the career they ended with. I call SHENNANNIGANS on that.

Nonsense... hypocritical? You have the required words vs action background. Ones PAST does not play into hypocrisy as ones PAST is just that. Vick LEARNED from his mistakes and so did W. To say that a former drug user can't realize the error of his ways and help make changes is stupid. Same for Vick helping find ways to reduce the crimes of his PAST through legislation and knowledge. The greatest advocates for change are former violators of the same thing which is GREAT... not hypocritical.

That paragraph is just a shame...

July 21st, 2011, 10:28 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

to say that your punishment was not enough and other should get more...but not you, cuz you served your time...is EXACTY WHAT HYPOCRACY IS!
whether or not these guys learned a lesson and improved their life is a side issue. what I'm talking about is these guys making it impossible for those who make the same mistakes they made to achieve the same success afterwrds that they did. it's pretty cut and dry.

example I did coke, i got busted and served 2 years, YOU however should serve 10 years for the same offense...cuz I say so! if you dont recognize that as hypocritical, thats your blindness brother.

July 21st, 2011, 2:20 pm
QB Coach

grgrundge wrote:
Pablo wrote:
grgrundge wrote:

Maybe, I'm just not as convinced as you are.

So what else could he do to convince you? Just curious.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
to say that your punishment was not enough and other should get more...but not you, cuz you served your time...is EXACTY WHAT HYPOCRACY IS!
whether or not these guys learned a lesson and improved their life is a side issue. what I'm talking about is these guys making it impossible for those who make the same mistakes they made to achieve the same success afterwrds that they did. it's pretty cut and dry.

example I did coke, i got busted and served 2 years, YOU however should serve 10 years for the same offense...cuz I say so! if you dont recognize that as hypocritical, thats your blindness brother.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the message he's trying to relate is that the punishment didn't fit the crime, and that it isn't serving as the deterrent that it should?

Where is the line that makes a majority of people avoid financing dog fighting rings, or attending dog fights?

If you take away the spectators and bettors from a dog fight, you take away the enterprise. Likewise, if you take away the financers of the dog rings, you take away the dog fights. To take all that away, you are going to have to scare them away.

Regardless, I don't care if it's Michael Vick or Betty White telling Congress to make the penalties harsher. The fact is, it would be the right thing to do.

July 21st, 2011, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

That is presumptuous. You are taking something completely out of his control and making him unable to do the right thing, which is what is really important. As m2K said, he's speaking from a point of view that makes a difference. Hypocrisy involves DECEPTION, there is nothing deceptive about what he is doing unless you feel he STILL dog fits or supports it.

July 21st, 2011, 3:31 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That is presumptuous. You are taking something completely out of his control and making him unable to do the right thing, which is what is really important. As m2K said, he's speaking from a point of view that makes a difference. Hypocrisy involves DECEPTION, there is nothing deceptive about what he is doing unless you feel he STILL dog fits or supports it.

Good point. True hypocrisy would be his fighting for more stringent sentencing on dog fighting, then getting caught attending one and asking for leniency at his hearing. THAT is hypocrisy.

July 21st, 2011, 4:08 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Good point. True hypocrisy would be his fighting for more stringent sentencing on dog fighting, then getting caught attending one and asking for leniency at his hearing. THAT is hypocrisy.

Bingo...

There is no reason to get offended someone is trying to make a positive difference just because he made mistakes in his past. That is petty...

July 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next