View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 2012 Draft Prospects 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: 2012 Draft Prospects
Chris Houston is 27, Eric Wright is 26, Alphonso Smith is 25, and Aaron Berry is 23. We have some young corners, some who just need more experience. I don't necessarily see this as being an awful set of DB's. Sure, a top flight CB would be nice to add, but I don't think the Lions will be in position to draft one. They may grab one in the second or third rounds, but I wouldn't call it their top priority, at least at this point.

I would rather focus on rebuilding the OL in the first round, if we can get an OT that would be great. Backus is getting old, Gos may never return to form, Hilliard is a backup, and Fox hasn't proven anything. If the Lions could get C Michael Brewster, that would definitely help their cause.

August 5th, 2011, 10:01 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Chris Houston is 27, Eric Wright is 26, Alphonso Smith is 25, and Aaron Berry is 23. We have some young corners, some who just need more experience. I don't necessarily see this as being an awful set of DB's. Sure, a top flight CB would be nice to add, but I don't think the Lions will be in position to draft one. They may grab one in the second or third rounds, but I wouldn't call it their top priority, at least at this point.

I would rather focus on rebuilding the OL in the first round, if we can get an OT that would be great. Backus is getting old, Gos may never return to form, Hilliard is a backup, and Fox hasn't proven anything. If the Lions could get C Michael Brewster, that would definitely help their cause.

I agree, to a point. Having Wright on a one year deal, and Houston on just a two year deal is a concern. Hopefully both prove their worth and the Lions show their good faith and extend them appropriately. If that's the case, then no need to burn a pick on a CB. Schwartz isn't about getting a marquee name at corner. He wants the pass rush, not the pass coverage.

Getting upgrades on the offensive line is the best approach. While they may have done a decent job last year, and might do good this year, that is the group with the oldest average age. A new left tackle needs to be found, and a new center with better run blocking skills would be nice. Hopfully Jason Fox shows he can play LT, and we won't have to use a high pick to get one.

August 5th, 2011, 10:31 am

Another pass rusher from the edge would be great too.

August 5th, 2011, 11:28 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:

Why?

I understand KVB is on his last contract, but Avril and Jackson are just reaching their primes, and Willie Young showed some promise last season and will hopefully get a chance to show what he can do in the regular season this year. If Young proves to be worthwhile, I don't see the need. If Young is a dud and LoJack has a down year, then I'd agree with needing another pass rusher.

August 5th, 2011, 11:42 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

I agree, to a point. Having Wright on a one year deal, and Houston on just a two year deal is a concern. Hopefully both prove their worth and the Lions show their good faith and extend them appropriately. If that's the case, then no need to burn a pick on a CB. Schwartz isn't about getting a marquee name at corner. He wants the pass rush, not the pass coverage.

Getting upgrades on the offensive line is the best approach. While they may have done a decent job last year, and might do good this year, that is the group with the oldest average age. A new left tackle needs to be found, and a new center with better run blocking skills would be nice. Hopfully Jason Fox shows he can play LT, and we won't have to use a high pick to get one.

Re: Wright--Mayhew said he wanted to sign him to a longer contract but he only wanted 1 year so he could hit the open market again next year when things will (supposedly) be better.

August 6th, 2011, 11:33 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Re: Wright--Mayhew said he wanted to sign him to a longer contract but he only wanted 1 year so he could hit the open market again next year when things will (supposedly) be better.

I understand, but it doesn't change the fact that we will be facing the need of a corner all over again for next years draft. It's entirely possible the Lions will be able to extend Wright if he has a good season here. But, like Houston, he's barely gotten onto the practice field and he's already voiced his desire to go into free agency next season. Houston said the same thing last year right after he was traded to us.

Personally, I think Wright ends up signing a deal with us next year. He'll have to have a MONSTER year to gain interest from other teams to consider him as a top corner and get paid like it. However, the Lions should still look at corners to develop. The only thing that would sway my feeling on that is if Alfonso Smith and Aaron Berry play really well this season and show that they could step in as starters successfully if needed.

So far, according to reports, Aaron Berry has been having the best camp of any corner.

August 8th, 2011, 9:26 am

m2karateman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

Why?

I understand KVB is on his last contract, but Avril and Jackson are just reaching their primes, and Willie Young showed some promise last season and will hopefully get a chance to show what he can do in the regular season this year. If Young proves to be worthwhile, I don't see the need. If Young is a dud and LoJack has a down year, then I'd agree with needing another pass rusher.

First, Avril and Jackson could be the first team DE's, but would Robert Quinn have been a bad pick instead of Fairley? Nope. It never hurts to have a stable of pass rushers. We've got a lot of push up the middle, but the edge rush could surely benefit from a stud. Is Avril going to be that guy? I hope so, but given the opportunity to have a Jared Allen, Trent Cole, Dwight Freeney type of guy off the edge, you'd take it.

Depending on where the Lions pick (16-24) they could be in an enviable position to draft any of three positions, CB, DE, OT. Can we at least agree that they are the most pressing positions on this team? I like the idea of having that flexibility. When you have 0 talent on the team, you can draft BPA and get away with it. Now that we've amassed a fair amount of talent, we can draft to a position of need, as long as they are worthy of that positioning.

August 8th, 2011, 10:23 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
First, Avril and Jackson could be the first team DE's, but would Robert Quinn have been a bad pick instead of Fairley? Nope. It never hurts to have a stable of pass rushers. We've got a lot of push up the middle, but the edge rush could surely benefit from a stud. Is Avril going to be that guy? I hope so, but given the opportunity to have a Jared Allen, Trent Cole, Dwight Freeney type of guy off the edge, you'd take it.

I actually wanted the Lions to take Quinn. Not because I didn't like Fairley, but because I felt that Quinn was the player with higher potential on the board. I didn't feel DE was a need, and neither was DT. But we are talking about next season. As I said, if Young doesn't develop (all indications are that he is playing very well in camp) or someone else doesn't produce, I don't have a problem with snapping up a DE. I also don't have a problem if, even if all our DEs play really well, they use their pick on a DE if he's the best player on the board at the time.

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Depending on where the Lions pick (16-24) they could be in an enviable position to draft any of three positions, CB, DE, OT. Can we at least agree that they are the most pressing positions on this team? I like the idea of having that flexibility. When you have 0 talent on the team, you can draft BPA and get away with it. Now that we've amassed a fair amount of talent, we can draft to a position of need, as long as they are worthy of that positioning.

I don't disagree with those needs, at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say the needs are, in order: OT, CB, OC/OG, DE, LB. Remember that Tulloch is only on a one year deal, as is Carpenter.

I am looking at this from a perspective of who we will have under contract at what positions at years end. Obviously we could be in dire straits at OT with Backus and Fox hurt and Gos coming back from his surgery. If there's no OT of value at the Lions pick, they take the BPA and then possibly trade some proven player to get a starting quality OT. Or they trade a later pick for one. That may have to happen sooner than later, if the injuries keep piling up on the o-line this year.

August 8th, 2011, 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2