View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 3:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What makes me angry about the Follett thing... 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: What makes me angry about the Follett thing...
How come nobody is making that argument for Brady?
If Brady never throws another touchdown and starts sucking, will you be one of the ones that say, "Well, look at Brady's draft position... Did you expect any more from him?"
No, of course not. Why?
Because draft position means NOTHING.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

August 8th, 2011, 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

mineral723 wrote:
steensn wrote:
To give you the benefit of the doubt I went to listen to these again and found some for March, am I missing one?

He said: "I don't pass the physical test," "I'm not ready for the NFL when drafted," "I'm going to have to try hard,"

I don't get any of the "I'm awesome" vib... am I missing the right one?

OK, so you didn't watch the tampon video when he was the starter and you didn't listen to the JRIB interview or the Jim Rome Show interview.

He went from
"I don't pass the physical test," "I'm not ready for the NFL when drafted," "I'm going to have to try hard,"

To
"I'm going to make the competition bleed," "Watch out! CHOO CHOO!!! Pain Train's coming thru!," and "quarterbacks are gonna need these Barbie band-aids after I'm done with them..."

That's the "I'm awesome vibe" that you're missing or choosing to ignore.

Or I just asked if there was more from the Rome show than what I found on youtube... maybe they were taken down?

Nothing I have seen was anything but good fun for a guy excited to get a chance because others were injured.

August 8th, 2011, 6:29 pm
RIP Killer

mineral723 wrote:
If Brady never throws another touchdown and starts sucking, will you be one of the ones that say, "Well, look at Brady's draft position... Did you expect any more from him?"
No, of course not. Why?

No, Brady was a STEAL and an enigma. If Brady starts sucking it will be said that he is winding down his hall of fame career. No one expected Brady to be one of the best QB's of all time, he proved everyone wrong. Draft position DOES matter, no one will say that stupid moronic sentence you stated above. If you really think they will that is nonsense. Had Brady flamed out then people would say "what do you expect from a 7th rounder." Instead people are saying, we are morons for not drafting him earlier... we missed on him.

I know you are smarter than this BS...

August 8th, 2011, 6:31 pm

steensn wrote:
He wasn't given a starting position, he filled in as a backup and was not expected to perform any better than that. Injuries to the starters forced him to step up and he was expected to move back to the backup spot once better talent was brought in.

Now you're just making stuff up. It's no fun playing dirty.

He started the 2010 NFL season as the starter.
He was given the position after Ernie Sims was traded. I won't let you spew nonsense, steensn.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

August 8th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Profile WWW

steensn wrote:
mineral723 wrote:
No, of course not. Why?

No, Brady was a STEAL and an enigma. If Brady starts sucking it will be said that he is winding down his hall of fame career. No one expected Brady to be one of the best QB's of all time, he proved everyone wrong. Draft position DOES matter, no one will say that stupid moronic sentence you stated above. If you really think they will that is nonsense. Had Brady flamed out then people would say "what do you expect from a 7th rounder." Instead people are saying, we are morons for not drafting him earlier... we missed on him.

I know you are smarter than this BS...

When you're the starter, it doesn't matter where you are drafted. Quality players are drafted late in the rounds or go undrafted all the time. When you're the starter, you perform like a starter or you don't. He didn't. I expected more from him as he started flapping his gums. He didn't live up to his own hype.
Why must you keep making excuses for him?

August 8th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

mineral723 wrote:
steensn wrote:
He wasn't given a starting position, he filled in as a backup and was not expected to perform any better than that. Injuries to the starters forced him to step up and he was expected to move back to the backup spot once better talent was brought in.

He was given the position after Ernie Sims was traded. I won't let you spew nonsense, steensn.

No, it was after Dizon got injured.

August 8th, 2011, 6:51 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not making excuses, you are creating nonsense.

August 8th, 2011, 6:51 pm

steensn wrote:
mineral723 wrote:
steensn wrote:

No, it was after Dizon got injured.

The Lions announced Zack Follett as the starting linebacker before the season started. They entered the 2010 season with Follett as the starter. He talked himself up. He sucked.

What do you want me to say?

August 8th, 2011, 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

They traded away Sims, then Dizon got hurt before the season started, and Zach had to fill in until they found better talent. What more do you want to make the situation out to be? He filled in as a backup is supposed to, didn't play too poorly, if not injured would have made the roster of many teams in the NFL. Compared to Ulacker, he sucks... what are your standards?

August 8th, 2011, 7:15 pm

steensn wrote:
They traded away Sims, then Dizon got hurt before the season started, and Zach had to fill in until they found better talent. What more do you want to make the situation out to be? He filled in as a backup is supposed to, didn't play too poorly, if not injured would have made the roster of many teams in the NFL. Compared to Ulacker, he sucks... what are your standards?

Dude...
I don't want to make it out to be anything more than what it was.
I'm allowed to have my opinion on Follett. I give my opinion on Follett. You guys bash me and put a bunch of words in my mouth. I'm defending my position. You keep attacking me and refusing to let it go. You keep trying to say that I'm bashing you for your religion. I'm not. But we can keep having this discussion if you wish.

You're never going to convince me that Follett was a good player. You're not going to convince me that he overachieved because he didn't. You're not going to change my mind about thinking he's an idiot for calling Stafford a china doll. You can't force me to say that it's all about religion because it's not, though we all know my disdain for fundamentalism. You can't make me change my mind about the guy. I gave my opinion because this is a message board. If these boards aren't for opinions, what are they for? And you just can't accept a few absolutes of this argument.

You can't accept that he was just a below average player.
You can't accept that I'm not doing the work of Satan, just blindly hating all Christians.
You can't accept that he DID have a cocky attitude, as evidenced by his own video, which rubbed me the wrong way retrospectively.
You can't accept that he was a complete moron for what he said about Stafford. C'mon... As a professional athlete, you HAVE to know better than that.

It seems like you just want me to say that I only hated him because he's a Christian and I won't do it because it's not true. It doesn't make me any less of a fan for not liking one player.

Grow up and get over it. I don't like Follett. It will not change. I voiced my opinion.

I don't understand why you'd defend him so much and not let me have my own opinion without badgering me for it. It's almost as if he's your dad or something. I'm allowed an opinion and I'm allowed to criticize whatever I want and still be a fan. I don't care if you, Mr. Miyagi, or the rest of the message board believes it or not.

August 8th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Now you are putting words in my mouth ;)

I think your worst enemy here is your response to the issue... not so much your stance. You just have this overly emotional investment in knocking the guy beyond what another 7th rounder would get or another guy that didn't work out. You can have any opinion you want, but you go off the deep end trying to tell everyone how you are allowed to have one and tell everyone about it... yet if we comment on it then our opinions somehow are not valid. I never questioned your fandom... Goes both ways...

August 8th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I leave you with this:

August 8th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

steensn wrote:
Now you are putting words in my mouth ;)

I think your worst enemy here is your response to the issue... not so much your stance. You just have this overly emotional investment in knocking the guy beyond what another 7th rounder would get or another guy that didn't work out. You can have any opinion you want, but you go off the deep end trying to tell everyone how you are allowed to have one and tell everyone about it... yet if we comment on it then our opinions somehow are not valid. I never questioned your fandom... Goes both ways...

Don't want to flare this up again, but all of the attacks on me weren't just "commenting on it." Some posters said that I couldn't be a fan of the Lions if I didn't like Follett. And you absolutely refused to accept that I disliked him for conventional reasons.
Don't go playing the "good guy" card as if you were some bystander who wanted nothing more than to have a rational discussion. That wasn't the case. Just go back a page or two and re-read how you refused to accept that his performance had nothing to do with it. That attitude is what triggered this entire discussion, continued over from the closed Follett thread. So yes, it's a wonderful world where I can say what I want and so can Follett and yourself and Ralph Macchio and BillySims. I expected criticism and Follett should have as well. I didn't expect the backlash that I received, though, and it was uncalled for if you ask me. Just thicken your soft skin.

August 9th, 2011, 1:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Didn't try to play that card either... but I'm not the one freaking out here. I said what I said and I mean it. I believe you are making special provision to call out someone who slightly overachieved for their position and played their role. There is a role for everyone and that doesn't include a permanent starting position. You seem to show no respect for the man playing his heart out and trying... so he didn't make it... so what... why make it a fuss to hate on him?

Yes, you are allowed your opinion, but sometimes opinions stink and should just be filtered. In this case, yours kinda stinks...

August 9th, 2011, 10:04 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
Didn't try to play that card either... but I'm not the one freaking out here. I said what I said and I mean it. I believe you are making special provision to call out someone who slightly overachieved for their position and played their role. There is a role for everyone and that doesn't include a permanent starting position. You seem to show no respect for the man playing his heart out and trying... so he didn't make it... so what... why make it a fuss to hate on him?

Yes, you are allowed your opinion, but sometimes opinions stink and should just be filtered. In this case, yours kinda stinks...

and that is YOUR opinion :wink:

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 9th, 2011, 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next