View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Can we start to call Verlander...... 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Can we start to call Verlander......
Cy Young? There is not a more dominant Starting Pitcher in baseball this year. And if he doesn't win the Cy Young, then, something is rotten in Denmark.

August 12th, 2011, 8:10 am
Afghan Allstar

Post Re: Can we start to call Verlander......
If he finishes out the season the way he has been pitching, and I believe he will, he is the clear choice for the Cy Young. He currently leads the Majors in wins, K's, and WHIP with the last 2 not being even close. He's currently 4th in ERA (3rd in AL), but at 2.35 almost any other year he'd be no worse than 2nd. The only pitcher with a lower ERA that's even close to his # of wins is Weaver, but he currently has 14 wins.

August 12th, 2011, 9:11 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If he keeps this pace and he doesn't win I'll be piss. Hopefully Weaver's ERA drops off some so that doesn't become a issue. CC has an outside chance but if Verlander pitched for the Yankees and got that run support he would already have 20 wins. Heard some interesting compairsons about Verlandrer 100 victories at his current age and something about 17 wins in so many consecutive seasons has put him in very very select company. Gibson, Seaver, Clemens, type company.

August 12th, 2011, 10:37 am
RIP Killer

slow down there chief, 47 games still to go - that's 3 football seasons left.

August 12th, 2011, 10:55 am
Profile WWW

Just saying if he keeps this pace he'll end up with 22/23 wins, 250K's, most innings pitched, and if he keeps his ERA where it is at now, WHIP under one, it should be his hands down.

August 12th, 2011, 11:41 am

Pablo wrote:
slow down there chief, 47 games still to go - that's 3 football seasons left.

I take this context under Leyland not Verlander, as to the one who'll f--- it up the most!

August 12th, 2011, 11:44 am
Player of the Year - Defense

CC will lose if he doesn't win a few vs the Red Sox. Its the only team that has CC's number. He's dominated everyone else. I think its going to come down to Verlander or CC in the end and as a Yanks fan, I find it somewhat funny that one team is standing in CC's way.

August 12th, 2011, 6:13 pm
RIP Killer

Cc could dominate the sox from here on out and it wouldn't matter. Cc has the benefit from a lot of wins every year because of his team that's always winning. Fact is, verlander is the leader in k's, whip, innings pitched, wins, and so on of anyone even in consideration for cy young. Cc is good, but he's not even close to jv in the race. Put him on any other team and he'd have about 13 wins - just ask Jared weaver and his 1.78 era - wins are a pretty stat that tells very little about a pitcher

August 12th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
CC will lose if he doesn't win a few vs the Red Sox. Its the only team that has CC's number. He's dominated everyone else. I think its going to come down to Verlander or CC in the end and as a Yanks fan, I find it somewhat funny that one team is standing in CC's way.

The TB Rays hit 5 solo HR's against Sabathia last night. Sucks for me. I have him on a fantasy team. LOL.

August 13th, 2011, 8:17 am

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

The TB Rays hit 5 solo HR's against Sabathia last night. Sucks for me. I have him on a fantasy team. LOL.

Weaver got rocked yesterday giving up 8 earned runs in 4 1/3 innings raising his ERA to 2.13, this should help JV in his bid.

August 14th, 2011, 8:30 am
Afghan Allstar

With tonight's performance, 7.2 innings of 1 run ball, Verlander now has 18 wins (Leads Majors), 204 Strike Outs (Leads Majors), a 2.31 ERA (2nd in Majors), 202 Innings Pitched (Leads Majors), a .88 WHIP (Leads Majors), and a .187 Batting Average Against (Leads Majors).

If that isn't dominance, I don't know what is.

August 16th, 2011, 11:41 pm

buell17 wrote:
With tonight's performance, 7.2 innings of 1 run ball, Verlander now has 18 wins (Leads Majors), 204 Strike Outs (Leads Majors), a 2.31 ERA (2nd in Majors), 202 Innings Pitched (Leads Majors), a .88 WHIP (Leads Majors), and a .187 Batting Average Against (Leads Majors).

If that isn't dominance, I don't know what is.

I've also been thinking that if JV keeps this up he will not only get the Cy Young but he will be given serious consideration for the MVP. He won't win it, unless he gets 25 plus wins and I still don't think he would, but I see him finishing in the top five.

August 17th, 2011, 7:43 am
Afghan Allstar

7 innings of 1 run ball tonight. That makes 19 wins, 2.28 ERA, 209.2 IP, 212 SO, .185 BA Against, and a .88 WHIP. Leading the Majors in every category except ERA where he sits third, .18 behind Weaver and .39 behind Cueto. Cueto also has 9 less starts and plays in the NL, so that won't affect JV's Cy Young chances.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

buell17 wrote:
7 innings of 1 run ball tonight. That makes 19 wins, 2.28 ERA, 209.2 IP, 212 SO, .185 BA Against, and a .88 WHIP. Leading the Majors in every category except ERA where he sits third, .18 behind Weaver and .39 behind Cueto. Cueto also has 9 less starts and plays in the NL, so that won't affect JV's Cy Young chances.

Man, Illitch is gonna have to sell half the team to lock Verlander up long term. It's gonna cost about $200Mil on a 10 year contract. That's some serious jack.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:35 pm

Just heard on the radio an interesting stat on Verlander this morning. When he pitches the Tigers are 12 games over .500 all other games the Tigers are 1 game under .500. Essentially he is keeping the Tigers atop of the AL Central, another reason for MVP consideration.

August 23rd, 2011, 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next