View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Has Cris Carter lost his mind? 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Has Cris Carter lost his mind?
Ferris wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Quote:
Has Cris Carter lost his mind?

No. I think arguments can be made either way. Anyone see the Jets game lat year - a very winnable game (one pointer). CJ was covered by Revis and got an early catch on the first drive - after that, nada. He had the same number of catches as our other Johnson, Bryant.

The best play their best in the big games against the best.

I think Carter's point is he needs to be consistently great to be considered one of the greats and I can't argue him for that.

I give alot of credit to Revis. I remember seeing him reach in between Johnsons hands and knock the ball away on a couple of plays. I do wonder if Johnson would have benifited from a 1rst or 2nd string QB though? Not taking anything away from Revis, AWESOME corner, just really would like to see if Johnson would do better against a cornerback of that caliber with a better QB.

As for Carter's point that he had played with 5 different qb's, it was over a much greater period of time.

I agree. Revis is good, and I would love to have him on our team. There will always be arguements about him and I got a feeling until he wins super bowl. They will continue.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

August 12th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

What do you expect from a guy with only 1, incredibly bushy, eyebrow? Looks like clown makeup. LOL.

August 13th, 2011, 10:33 am
League MVP

I think Carter is way off in his analysis and his statements that he played with 5 Qbs...Carter was always on good teams and there backups were good players like Randall Cunningham, young Culpepper, Brad Johnson, Jeff George - much different caliber than what CJ has had to deal with. I d take CJ over Jennings, Wayne, White, and Desean Jackson 100/100 times and I think he s very similar to Andre Johnson. Andre Johnson has been in a system where they feed him the jump ball all the time - I think Calvin is as good at catching those passes. Andre is a little more refined and tougher physically than Calvin is but still they are pretty close. Larry Fitzgerald in my eyes is the best receiver in football hands down.

August 13th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Pro Bowl Player

The Legend wrote:
I think Carter is way off in his analysis and his statements that he played with 5 Qbs...Carter was always on good teams and there backups were good players like Randall Cunningham, young Culpepper, Brad Johnson, Jeff George - much different caliber than what CJ has had to deal with. I d take CJ over Jennings, Wayne, White, and Desean Jackson 100/100 times and I think he s very similar to Andre Johnson. Andre Johnson has been in a system where they feed him the jump ball all the time - I think Calvin is as good at catching those passes. Andre is a little more refined and tougher physically than Calvin is but still they are pretty close. Larry Fitzgerald in my eyes is the best receiver in football hands down.

His hands, and his awareness are incredible. I'd still take the Johnsons ( Calvin and Andre ) for a jump ball though

August 13th, 2011, 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Carter backtracks on his Calvin Johnson critique
Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT

Upon hearing about Friday’s comments from ESPN’s Cris Carter regarding his belief that Lions receiver Calvin Johnson isn’t one of the top five receivers in football, I thought one of two things had happened.

First, Carter forgot about Johnson when coming up with a seat-of-the-pants list in response to a Twitter question, and then Carter opted to try to fashion an argument to support his oversight instead of simply saying, “Oops.” Second, Carter for some reason wants to see Johnson play better, so Carter decided to call Johnson out in order to advance that agenda, a dynamic to which ESPN’s Tom Jackson formally introduced the football-following world in January.

As it turns out, it was the former.

On Monday’s edition of ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning, the show on which Carter uttered his controversial comments, the two Mikes talked about the reaction to Carter’s opinion, with pretty much everyone who has weighed in taking the position that Carter was flat wrong. They capped the discussion by pointing out that Carter had called the studio with this message regarding Johnson: “[H]e’s right there with the top five. I may have given Reggie Wayne a gift.”

In other words, Carter apparently opted not to admit in real time that he had inadvertently overlooked Johnson, choosing instead to stubbornly support an inherently flawed argument. Three days later, with no way out of the maze, Carter issued a mea culpa which the two Mikes laughed off as they went to a break.

Carter could have laughed it all off on Friday, if he’d been willing to admit that he made a mistake. Of course, with an ever-growing stable of analysts vying for air time in Bristol, openly admitting to mistakes could be bad for a guy’s career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -critique/

August 15th, 2011, 9:55 am
Hall of Fame Player

Here's the latest on Carter Vs. Johnson but I'm not sure I'm buying it...

PFT.com wrote:
Carter backtracks on his Calvin Johnson critique

Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT

Upon hearing about Friday’s comments from ESPN’s Cris Carter regarding his belief that Lions receiver Calvin Johnson isn’t one of the top five receivers in football, I thought one of two things had happened.

First, Carter forgot about Johnson when coming up with a seat-of-the-pants list in response to a Twitter question, and then Carter opted to try to fashion an argument to support his oversight instead of simply saying, “Oops.” Second, Carter for some reason wants to see Johnson play better, so Carter decided to call Johnson out in order to advance that agenda, a dynamic to which ESPN’s Tom Jackson formally introduced the football-following world in January.

As it turns out, it was the former.

On Monday’s edition of ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning, the show on which Carter uttered his controversial comments, the two Mikes talked about the reaction to Carter’s opinion, with pretty much everyone who has weighed in taking the position that Carter was flat wrong. They capped the discussion by pointing out that Carter had called the studio with this message regarding Johnson: “[H]e’s right there with the top five. I may have given Reggie Wayne a gift.”

In other words, Carter apparently opted not to admit in real time that he had inadvertently overlooked Johnson, choosing instead to stubbornly support an inherently flawed argument. Three days later, with no way out of the maze, Carter issued a mea culpa which the two Mikes laughed off as they went to a break.

Carter could have laughed it all off on Friday, if he’d been willing to admit that he made a mistake. Of course, with an ever-growing stable of analysts vying for air time in Bristol, openly admitting to mistakes could be bad for a guy’s career.

Hmmm... :-k

August 15th, 2011, 9:56 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It appears as if more than a few people called, tweeted or otherwise contacted Carter and asked "Are you #&#$! crazy!!??"

Carter is a moron, always has been. Anytime he speaks of receivers, he'll always find a way to bring up what he did as a receiver. His career is what he's trying to sell to those folks who vote for the HOF. It's all about him.

ESPN needs to stop hiring guys like this, who are out to sell their own legacy to fans instead of focusing strictly on the current players and their accomplishments.

August 15th, 2011, 10:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
It appears as if more than a few people called, tweeted or otherwise contacted Carter and asked "Are you #&#$! crazy!!??"

Carter is a moron, always has been. Anytime he speaks of receivers, he'll always find a way to bring up what he did as a receiver. His career is what he's trying to sell to those folks who vote for the HOF. It's all about him.

ESPN needs to stop hiring guys like this, who are out to sell their own legacy to fans instead of focusing strictly on the current players and their accomplishments.

M2K, I agree with all of that. He's nauseating the way he always brings up his own career.

Wags, sorry for the re-post. You beat me by less than a minute.

August 15th, 2011, 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Karma's a bitch :D

Quote:
Cris Carter Enters Football Hall Of Fame As Paying Customer
AUGUST 5, 2011 |
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/cris-carter-enters-football-hall-of-fame-as-paying,21071/

CANTON, OH—In his fourth year of eligibility, eight-time Pro Bowler Cris Carter, who scored 130 receiving touchdowns on 1,101 receptions over the course of his career, finally entered the Hall of Fame on Thursday by paying $21 for a ticket.

Carter was inducted by ticket seller Jennifer Mahoney, 26, who did not choose to speak on the occasion aside from saying "Welcome to the Pro Football Hall of Fame," thanking Carter for his $21, and directing him to the entrance.

Carter, who played in Philadelphia, Minnesota, and Miami, spending the most productive years of his career in a Vikings uniform, chose to enter the Hall in street clothes. Carter was admitted with 643 others Thursday, including insurance salesman Rodney Whitford, 37, and bicycle mechanic Sophie Mancini, 22, who also paid the required amount for a ticket.

"Thank you," Carter told the group of employees at the front entrance upon receiving his change. “Thank you very much.”

Carter, who is fourth on the all-time receiving touchdown list, has thus far been denied admission to the Hall on five previous occasions, four times between 2008 and 2011, when selection committee voters decided not to induct him, and an additional time last month when he arrived at the Hall an hour after closing time.

The newly enshrined Carter celebrated the honor by touring the Lamar Hunt Super Bowl Gallery with other paying customers, watching a retrospective on the 1958 NFL championship in the GameDay Stadium Theater, and purchasing a replica Hall of Fame bust in the gift shop.

Carter was also surrounded by throngs of football fans, some of them wearing Adrian Peterson Vikings jerseys.

"This is unbelievable,” a visibly stunned Carter said as he stood in front of the bronze bust of Redskins great Art Monk—the wideout who was inducted during Carter’s first year of eligibility and trails Carter in career touchdowns, receiving yards, and total receptions. “Literally unbelievable. It’s actually kind of crazy that this is real and I’m not dreaming.”

“Dammit,” an emotional Carter added after catching a glimpse of Steve Largent’s Hall of Fame bust. “I didn’t want to cry, but now here I am crying like a baby.”

Many football analysts said that while they agreed Carter should be in the Hall of Fame just like anyone else who can afford a ticket, they disagreed with the admission process.

"For a player of Carter's stature to have had to wait this long is outrageous,” Sports Illustrated football columnist Peter King said. "Surely there should be some sort of special express line for former players. And there is just something wrong when a legend like Carter isn’t at least given a 15 percent discount on tickets.”

“But after all that, at long last, he actually got in,” King added.

Carter agreed, saying that while the past four years have been a bit of an ordeal, he’s just happy to have been let into the Hall.

"It's wonderful to finally be here in Canton, alongside other greats such as Jerome Bettis, whom I just saw in the gift shop, and Andre Reed, whom I saw at the Canton Applebee's last night," Carter said in a brief statement during which he also thanked his family for waiting patiently for him at a nearby outlet mall. "I just want to say real fast, for the record, that I have 65 more touchdown catches than Michael Irvin.”

“And 68 more than Shannon Sharpe,” he continued. “Okay, thank you. Get me the hell out of here.”

August 15th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'll agree with some others here that CJ is the most physically talented WR in football, but he doesn't always show it on the field. With that said, I would have a difficult time keeping him out of the top 5. Andre Johnson and Fitzgerald belong, but after that, there's 7-8 guys who could make a case.

August 15th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I love that Carter tried to support his original remarks with his "film study." As it turns out, he was apparently lying about studying film. Great trait for an analyst, eh?

August 15th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

CC=wjb21ndtown? :D

http://lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13876

August 15th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Heisman Winner

I actually don't mind the criticism. I know a pro football player shouldn't need someone to say something about them to fire them up, but Calvin is one of those that might benefit from being criticized. Carter is an idiot though and the backtracking of his comments just further prove it. If he used actual facts to say why he thinks he is not a top 5 it might be okay because it's opinion, but to just make up random stuff was dumb.

August 15th, 2011, 6:16 pm
Junior Varsity

Post An example of classy Calvin (Re: Chris Carter)
Well said CJ!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rter-says/

Cris Carter said last week that Calvin Johnson isn’t one of the NFL’s elite receivers, then backtracked when called on it.

Carter’s comments had some Lions fans riled up, but Johnson himself isn’t worried about it.

“I don’t really care,” Johnson said. “I don’t really listen. I didn’t even know what happened until one of the guys told me the other day. I have my remarks, but I’m going to keep that to myself.”

Johnson declined to get into his own rankings of the top receivers in the league, but he did take issue with one thing Carter said: Carter claims that Johnson gets shut down by single coverage, and Johnson says that’s news to him.

“I wish,” Johnson said. “I wish I could get single coverage every game. That’d be fantastic.”

August 16th, 2011, 10:15 am
Junior Varsity

Post Re: An example of classy Calvin (Re: Chris Carter)
Here's another story on it:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110815/S ... RONTPAGE|s

Three days after he refused to put Calvin Johnson on his list of elite NFL receivers, ESPN analyst Cris Carter backtracked a bit. And Johnson didn’t seem to care one way or the other.
“I’m not really tripping,” Johnson said today. “I don’t really care. I don’t really listen. I didn’t even know what happened until one of the guys told me the other day. I have my remarks, but I’m going to keep that to myself.”
In a radio interview Friday, Carter said Johnson didn’t rank among the top six receivers in the NFL, citing poor route running, inconsistent production and the fact that “you don’t have to double-team him to take him out of the game.”
On the “Mike and Mike” show today on ESPN, host Mike Greenberg said Carter had called him and amended his opinion to say Johnson is “right there with the top five guys” and that Carter “may have given Reggie Wayne a gift.”
Carter originally listed his top receivers as Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings (Western Michigan), Reggie Wayne, DeSean Jackson and Roddy White.
Asked who tops his personal list, Johnson wouldn’t name one receiver.
“There’s some great receivers,” he said. I’m not just going to go out and say, ‘Yeah, I’m No. 1.’ Of course that’s what I want to be, but like I said, it’s always a work in progress. There’s some great ones in the game right now.”
Johnson, who’s coming off his first Pro Bowl, did take exception to Carter’s critique of his route running (“I’m a big, tall guy, and I feel like I’ve come a long ways since I first got here,” he said) and the fact that he doesn’t see regular double teams.
“I wish,” Johnson said. “I wish I could get single coverage every game. That’d be fantastic.”

August 16th, 2011, 10:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next