View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Miami (FL) Being Investigated for Extra Benefits 
RIP Killer

Post Miami (FL) Being Investigated for Extra Benefits
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... its-081511

Based on claims made from a convicted ponzi scheme runner and former booster.

August 15th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Miami (FL) Being Investigated for Extra Benefits
Not the "U", the model program [-X

August 15th, 2011, 5:10 pm
RIP Killer

Names current players in scandal:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... i-athletes

Quote:
Many current Miami players were also named by Shapiro as receiving benefits, Yahoo! Sports reported, including quarterback Jacory Harris, Ray Ray Armstrong, Travis Benjamin, Sean Spence, Marcus Forston, Vaughn Telemaque, Dyron Dye, Aldarius Johnson and Olivier Vernon. Former Miami quarterback Robert Marve, now at Purdue, was also named by Shapiro, Yahoo! Sports said.

The story cited specifics involving only Armstrong, Dye and Vernon, alleging they received extra benefits as recruits. Shapiro said he worked in concert with several former Miami assistant coaches during the recruiting process.

"It was me and some other players with my incoming (class). I'm not going to say the names but you can probably figure them out yourself," Moss told Yahoo! Sports. "When I was getting there my freshman year, it was me and a couple more players. It was me and a few more of the guys in my incoming class that he kind of showed some love to."

Miami coach Al Golden, who was hired in December, acknowledged Tuesday that some of his players may have made mistakes.

Quote:
The allegations against Miami are just the latest in what has been a string of NCAA investigations involving some of college football's most high-profile and successful programs. In the last 18 months, the football teams at Southern California, Ohio State, Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and LSU all have either been investigated or sanctioned by the NCAA.

August 16th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Just proves how dirty college football is. Everyone is dirty, some are just more blatant in their rule breaking.

But these are just allegations, don't take them too seriously. The biased media is on a witch hunt. Right steen? 8)

August 17th, 2011, 8:59 am
RIP Killer

Funny thing is... this is the media actually doing it right. There is no opinions in this, there is no "sources tell us" BS. They simply reported what what guy is saying and a few others on the subject and leaving it be. In fact, the COACHES for Miami are saying some guys could have messed up meaning they are suggesting something went wrong.

In stark contrast, the media took some random person calling in and saying OSU did X and reported it as fact from every news source imaginable. Yahoo actually took the time to investigate this and work on getting the truth through records:

Quote:
Yahoo! Sports says it spent 100 hours interviewing Shapiro over the span of 11 months and audited thousands of pages of financial and business records to examine his claims.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1VIGstEij

As opposed to the Pryror car nonsense where they saw him in a car and everyone reported it as he got it for free the same day. We are talking about two different tactics here. Someone took the time to INVESTIGATE this stuff like yahoo did the first time with OSU. After this initial thing, all investigative journaling will be out the door and the tabloids are going to have a field day... oh wait... I mean ESPN and Sports Illustrated, very respected "news" sources.

Look at what they are doing to Haith on Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basket ... ct=hp_nv_a

They have his face plastered on the front page with the title "Character Issues." What a bunch of crock and low level attacks. It doesn't matter if he did it or not anymore, everyone who saw this is now influenced negatively regarding his guilt.

August 17th, 2011, 9:51 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

These allegations make the OSU case look like a tea party.

August 17th, 2011, 9:57 am
RIP Killer

If true, the guy is a scumbag. But if true, you are right, because the few thousand dollars of free tattoos for 6-7 players was actually pretty minor.

August 17th, 2011, 10:05 am
RIP Killer

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations

This is pretty intense... you can't do anything but respect the work of the Yahoo team. That is real investigative journalism. I might have to switch my sports news to yahoo full time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/ ... its_081611

August 18th, 2011, 9:52 am
RIP Killer

Post MIAMI
No, actually they are pretty dang quite about Miami. Only Yahoo sports is really ding anything about what could be the biggest scandal since SMU critically beyond anything that happened at USC, OSU, or the other schools. Everyone but Yahoo seems to be digging where there is no gold based on a treasure map they bought off the street.

August 18th, 2011, 10:40 am
RIP Killer

This story didn't even make ESPN's list of top stories the day of with plenty of time...

August 18th, 2011, 10:45 am
RIP Killer

Toady was the first time the Miami bit has been anything more than a sidebar on ESPN.com. They finally have it as the front image on the NCAA section. OSU/Pryor/Tressel has been featured on that section hundreds of times by now for every little gossip piece one could think of.

August 18th, 2011, 10:47 am

This has a lot more salaciousness then the OSU case, but Miami hasn't had as much success as OSU in recent years, and if the NCAA had any balls they'd pop a top program to send a message. But they won't give OSU much, if any, more then USC.

Miami is in some serious danger. This is actually a case where the death penalty is legitimate. Seeing OSU get the death penalty would be great because I hate those bastards, but they wouldn't have deserved it, even though they broke the NCAA rules. Miami had a major violation in their baseball team in '03 and if the NCAA can prove a major violation occurred during the 5 year probation period then they would have cause to use the death penalty.

In the OSU case, the death penalty was bandied about, but was never seriously considered. There is actually cause now for it to be used against Miami. Do I think they should get it...? If the NCAA is serious about cleaning up college football then this would be the first step toward that.

August 18th, 2011, 10:48 am

steensn wrote:
Toady was the first time the Miami bit has been anything more than a sidebar on ESPN.com. They finally have it as the front image on the NCAA section. OSU/Pryor/Tressel has been featured on that section hundreds of times by now for every little gossip piece one could think of.

:-({|=

August 18th, 2011, 10:49 am

Post Re: Alabama Under Investigation Now for Recruiting Violation
Miami's all I've been hearing about. Plus, I know they're the "World Wide Leader" but bfd if they're not covering it. Miami's going to get there comeuppance. Because it's not fair to OSU?

August 18th, 2011, 10:55 am

Post Re: Alabama Under Investigation Now for Recruiting Violation
It's the front page of espn.com right now.

August 18th, 2011, 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next