View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 8:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LSU Bar Fight Issue Getting Bigger 
RIP Killer

Post LSU Bar Fight Issue Getting Bigger
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... ent-082411

I held off on this thinking it would just go away, but they raided Jordan Jefferson's apartment last night and the worst of victim in the barfight has 3 broken vertebrae. Looks like they are going after this mess.

August 25th, 2011, 9:55 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: LSU Bar Fight Issue Getting Bigger
As they should if these guys are in the wrong. Pretty sad when today's college athelete needs a lawyer in his back pocket to make it to the NFL.

August 25th, 2011, 10:24 am

Looks like the Baton Rouge PD see this a bit differently then the fan base:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... nts-issued

August 26th, 2011, 11:52 am
RIP Killer

Wow... I like to see no special treatment given. Makes me respect the police force down there. Too many times we see special treatment for players.

August 26th, 2011, 12:44 pm

steensn wrote:
Wow... I like to see no special treatment given. Makes me respect the police force down there. Too many times we see special treatment for players.

Exactly. If these kids don't learn a lesson now they never will.

August 26th, 2011, 1:37 pm
RIP Killer

So, what are the thoughts on this? Seems like fracturing a mans 3 vertebrae is a lot less interesting than getting a tattoo everywhere. Never mind the 49 pairs of shoes the police confiscated, who cares, though the media seems to find that more important. Arrest warrants have been issued and LSU players have been booked.

August 27th, 2011, 9:40 pm

You are right, this is a lot more serious than a couple of tattoos and these kids should be prosecuted to the full extend of the law. And, as far as I am concern they should stay suspended until this is resolved legally. I have no idea what the LSU team rules are and that if Les Miles has the integrity to enforce such punishment but the impression I always get from Miles is that he is more concern about winning. I'm not sure how the NCAA rules would be violated, maybe if an LSU alumn posted bail or if the lawyer is doing this pro bono, maybe that would be breaking the rules. I don't know.

August 28th, 2011, 11:39 am
Junior Varsity

steensn wrote:
So, what are the thoughts on this? Seems like fracturing a mans 3 vertebrae is a lot less interesting than getting a tattoo everywhere. Never mind the 49 pairs of shoes the police confiscated, who cares, though the media seems to find that more important. Arrest warrants have been issued and LSU players have been booked.

Did their coach lie about it, several times? Because then you would have a comparison. Appreciate your attempt to do whatever it is you're trying to do, though.

For these kids, anyone physically harming someone not in self-defense should lose their right to play for at least a season, in my opinion. If it's self-defense, that's one thing, but I have no compassion for bullies or thugs. The shoes are SOP--bust 'em if they broke rules.

August 28th, 2011, 1:43 pm
RIP Killer

Actually, I don't care if the coach did their homework for them. It would still not be comparable because this is SIGNIFICANTLY more of an issue. Someone in REAL LIFE, not make believe NCAA land, has 3 fractured vertebrae. That is something to be concerned over. Not someone getting a tattoo and someone else not reporting it. To even suggest these are in the same category of noteworthy is plain silly...

I'm NOT saying OSU's incident is not noteworthy and shouldn't have been in the press. What I am saying is that even in this case the press seems more worried about how many shoes he has in his closet than the impending criminal lawsuit over almost killing a man. There is no acting in defense in this case... once the man is down you stop. You don't keep kicking until he dies. I'm letting this go to trial before he's considered guilty, but the ESPN headlines are more interested if he is going to play football or not and whether Tressel still likes Pryor or not...

We a real life, someone is going to have their lives permanently changed for the worse, incident and it's not as important as getting a tattoo or having lots of shoes...

August 28th, 2011, 2:53 pm
Junior Varsity

steensn wrote:
Actually, I don't care if the coach did their homework for them. It would still not be comparable because this is SIGNIFICANTLY more of an issue. Someone in REAL LIFE, not make believe NCAA land, has 3 fractured vertebrae. That is something to be concerned over. Not someone getting a tattoo and someone else not reporting it. To even suggest these are in the same category of noteworthy is plain silly...

I'm NOT saying OSU's incident is not noteworthy and shouldn't have been in the press. What I am saying is that even in this case the press seems more worried about how many shoes he has in his closet than the impending criminal lawsuit over almost killing a man. There is no acting in defense in this case... once the man is down you stop. You don't keep kicking until he dies. I'm letting this go to trial before he's considered guilty, but the ESPN headlines are more interested if he is going to play football or not and whether Tressel still likes Pryor or not...

We a real life, someone is going to have their lives permanently changed for the worse, incident and it's not as important as getting a tattoo or having lots of shoes...

Completely agree on these kids serving time for assault if that's what's proven. As I said, I have no compassion for people who harm others. And whether or not jail time is warranted, they should lose at least a season of eligibility if these events are turn, and that is a separate matter.

You're the one who made the comparison to OSU--if I'm allowed to reasonably assume that's what you're doing by mentioning tattoos out of nowhere--not me, and I think it's a ludicrous comparison. The overwhelming majority of the press on the OSU case was about and came as a result of a lying coach lying, so there is no real comparison to these cases. Beyond me how you got there.

And while we agree that the harm to another human is much more important than whether or not player eligibility is in question, when you're talking about ESPN, their charge is sports, so it makes sense that they would emphasize that angle, and that the police wouldn't. My advice is to find yourself a better source for hard news than ESPN (you can probably find better sources for sports news, too, than the abomination they have become in the last ten years).

So please don't lecture (I use the word "lecture" because you're doing that adolescent girl thing of typing certain random words in all caps again, OMG) on what's comparable and what isn't when you're the one who initiated the comparison. I suspect your sudden interest in all of the other violations going on around the country is related to your having felt compelled to make a comparison here, too, though can't prove that (and have little interest in doing so).

August 28th, 2011, 4:04 pm
RIP Killer

First I think that you are taking my point that they aren't comparable and therefore shouldn't see the same airtime as saying you can't compare them is odd... I'm not contending you can't compare them, the point is that they are not comparable and that giving one even close the to airtime as the other is nonsense.

Second... get over the internet etiquette... who cares. The point is emphasizing, I could bold, underline, whatever. Caps is easier, I'm not going to waste my time picking the right one so that it's "proper."

August 28th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I'm not trying to offend anyone here but I find it amusing on how our society has evolved and this is classic:

Quote:
get over the internet etiquette

:cheers:

August 28th, 2011, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

<- help out the stupid guy... I didn't get it...

August 28th, 2011, 5:17 pm

steensn wrote:
<- help out the stupid guy... I didn't get it...

Maybe just a generattional thing on my part, internet etiquette, I just find it an amusing statement and nothing wrong with it at all. I guess maybe you can look at it as political correctness=internet eitiquette, or something like that.

August 28th, 2011, 5:23 pm
RIP Killer

It's not a generational thing, I'm only 28 and I think it is silly...

August 28th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next