View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 hdtv 
RIP Killer

Post Re: hdtv
Just rememember what you are coming from and going to. If you have a 32" cathode ray tube and you are moving up I find it hard to believe that a 42" isn't going to geel just great (which is what happened to me).

August 25th, 2011, 12:31 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Sure, that's true steensn, but how often does one buy a TV? Every 5,6 years?

A couple hundred extra bucks can go a long way on something you're going be using for quite a long period of time.

I'm not saying drop $4k on a ridiculous set. But really, what's the difference between $800 and $1k when you're going to get several thousand hours of use out of it? If you're sitting 5-10 feet away from the TV, 42 inch is ideal. 6-12 feet 50 inch, 7-14 55 inch, etc.

August 25th, 2011, 6:52 pm
RIP Killer

Bout $200 dollars is the difference ;)

August 25th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Plasma definitely uses more energy, so your electric bills will be higher. LCD and LED are more efficient. Like Blueskies said, Plasmas generally get better picture quality. But, unless you have 2 sets next to each other to compare and you are really picky about the picture, you won't notice. Plasmas area also generally a little bit bigger (thicker) than LCD/LED.

I have a Vizio 47" LED and the picture quality is great. Either way you won't really go wrong.

This site has some decent info on the differences between the types of tv: http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/plasma-lcd-led-tvs/

thanks, the site was really helpful.

Off to the store to see what kind of deal I can make. But I know some salesman will make me do this :finger:

August 25th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Heisman Winner

47 inch is a pretty nice size, It's the biggest TV I ever have owned so I think it's far good enough. Our couch is only like 6-7 feet away though and any bigger wouldn't really look right in the corner we have it.

My girlfriend is set on getting a 55 inch when we move though so guess we are going to have a bigger one soon. She won't let me game on it anymore though which is why I'm stuck with the 22 inch :lol:.

August 26th, 2011, 12:03 am
Modmin Dude

hamma77 wrote:
47 inch is a pretty nice size, It's the biggest TV I ever have owned so I think it's far good enough. Our couch is only like 6-7 feet away though and any bigger wouldn't really look right in the corner we have it.

My girlfriend is set on getting a 55 inch when we move though so guess we are going to have a bigger one soon. She won't let me game on it anymore though which is why I'm stuck with the 22 inch :lol:.

Won't let you?!?!? Ahem, what? :shock: ](*,)
Don't you know men own the electronics in the house and therefore we do what we want with them! LOL :wink: :lol:

Your man card, its time to hand it in!
:mrgreen:

August 26th, 2011, 10:11 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

As others have mentioned, Plasmas are complete energy hogs (600 Hz), while there's not much of a difference between an LCD and a Plasma in terms of quality. To each their own, I guess.

August 26th, 2011, 3:16 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BUT the one thing no one has mentioned about plasma TV's..GLASS screens. if you have kids or an over energetic pet this could save you BIG TIME! I know quite a few people who lost their LCD due to their kids getting a little touchy feely on the TV.

Just something to consider. I bought my plasma cuz A: it looks phenominal and B: i can keep my stupid cat from wanting to catch the lights that move on the screen. if there is anything like a bouncing ball on the TV she becomes obsessed and has to try and kill it. this would NOT be good on an LCD screen.

August 27th, 2011, 11:20 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

As luck would have it, my 27" SD TV in the bedroom died last night. So, just mere months after purchasing a new TV for the living room, I'll be buying another one later today. :x

On the bright side though, I'll be able to watch the Lions in HD while participating in the chat on Sundays. I'll just have to trade in the SD DirecTV box for another HD one now.

While I suppose I could get a 42" or larger set and mount it on the wall, I'll probably go 32" or 37" instead. First, It's cheaper and funds are tight right now. And secondly, I really don't need anything larger when the TV stand is only 4 feet from my computer desk.

August 30th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I HIGHLY recommend Samsung TVs. I just moved into my first place on my own (no roommates) and I went shopping. I had a 37 inch 720p for my room that I loved, but I wanted a larger one with the 1080p and 120 refresh rate. I went shopping around and found that Vizio sold one for 150 less than Samsung. I bought it, brought it home and set it up. I immediately noticed the difference in the color range. My 37 inch Samsung had more of a color.range than the newer bigger Vizio. So I took it back, went and paid the.extra 150 for the Samsung version and couldn't be happier. The only difference in the specs that I could see is the Samsung has a very high contrast ratio for an lcd 250,000 to 1. If that's the only difference it made all the difference.

September 4th, 2011, 4:44 pm

I'm a fan of Panasonic.

Regardless, I think the major brands are significantly better than the no-names. But, to each his own I suppose.

And, as much as I rag on the cult of Apple, I will probably strongly consider getting an Apple TV. I'm sure the picture quality will be second-to-none.

September 4th, 2011, 9:01 pm
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:
I'm a fan of Panasonic.

Regardless, I think the major brands are significantly better than the no-names. But, to each his own I suppose.

And, as much as I rag on the cult of Apple, I will probably strongly consider getting an Apple TV. I'm sure the picture quality will be second-to-none.

Apple TV? Mere speculation :wink:

For those that haven't heard, that's the speculation of the next big thing from Apple. Should be interesting....

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 4th, 2011, 10:05 pm

The hedge fundies and the traders are pretty certain Apple TV is coming next year. I'll trust them.

The thing will probably start at $4k though, and include a bose-esque built-in sound system.

September 4th, 2011, 10:31 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
My Toshiba HDTV has an image burned into it from my X-box 360. Won't be getting a new one until I get more money saved up. :x

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 5th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

Thanks for all the info!
Ordered the LG LK520 47" from Amazon, Was going to buy it at Best Buy but I was in the store for over an hour and not 1 associate approached me to ask if I needed anything. Normally I would approach them but when they are standing around talking with each other and not paying attention to anyone in the store I decided to see how long it would take. Finally I just left, went online and got the LG for $85.00 less than Best Buy was asking.

Tracking the shipment.........It left the Kalamazoo Fedex at 7:50 this morning.....I'll get it sometime today, in time for the first game. Cannot wait to see a game on a bigger screen than I've ever owned and in HD!!

Frok

September 8th, 2011, 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next