View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lance Briggs isnt the only unhappy Chicago 
Modmin Dude

Post Lance Briggs isnt the only unhappy Chicago
PFT wrote:

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 30, 2011, 11:41 AM EDT

The stories of August will mostly be forgotten after the first Sunday of the regular season. That’s a good thing for the Bears, who have undeniably had a rough, odd post-lockout period.

The latest drama comes from linebacker Lance Briggs, who wants his contract upgraded. That’s not going to happen, but David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune writes that Briggs’ complaint is only the tip of the iceberg.

“Fair or not, Briggs believes he represented a growing number of teammates unhappy with the way the Bears organization deals with players,” Haugh writes. “To hear some insiders other than Briggs describe morale at various times this preseason, the Bears could become the first NFL team to use the Disenfranchised Tag for players.”

This often happens after successful seasons. It also happens when veterans like Matt Forte and Chris Harris can’t work out new contracts, while the Bears admit expensive free agent mistakes like Chester Taylor and Brandon Manumaleuna.

Bears players have apparently been critical to Haugh about many of the Bears’ front office moves, from failing to re-sign Olin Kreutz and Danieal Manning, to trading Greg Olsen.

Whether the Bears players have a case here is almost irrelevant. The players aren’t happy and Haugh writes that it “smells a lot like 2007″ inside the Bears locker room.

The bizarre story of Chester Taylor thinking he was cut on Monday isn’t helping.

Melissa Isaacson of ESPNChicago.com runs down the Bears’ latest blunders and says it’s easy to see the organization as a “dysfunctional embarrassment.” She writes they are becoming “the NFL’s best source of comic relief.”

That NFC title game appearance didn’t buy as much goodwill in Chicago as you’d expect.

August 30th, 2011, 12:16 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lance Briggs isnt the only unhappy Chicago
They've let three of their best players leave, aren't paying some of the other young players that are good, but continue to pay washed up vets like Roy Williams more than they should.

The Bears won't have much significance in the NFC North this year.

August 30th, 2011, 12:26 pm
RIP Killer

bring on MNF in Detroit! Can not wait....

August 30th, 2011, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Front office mishaps by an NFC North team not in Detroit makes me smile.

August 31st, 2011, 9:13 pm
RIP Killer

He officially request trade:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... nce-briggs

I agree with the author here on seperating the "Did you outplay your contract" against "I'm only making X this year." He signed an upfront deal, that wa shis choice, he shouldn't ask for more later when he signed at the height of his talent.

September 2nd, 2011, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
"The Bears made their decision, now I have to make mine," Briggs told the Chicago Tribune Thursday. "It's just how the business works. It's not going to take away from what I do on the field. I'm 100 percent a Bear, until I'm not a Bear anymore."

September 2nd, 2011, 6:05 pm
Div 1 - Starter

While I think the Bear's front office routinely mishandles things, they're perfectly fine here. Briggs got a fair deal in total money and there's no reason to give him a new contract at this point. I really like Seifert's analogy in that article as well. Comparing Briggs (and Rosenhaus) to whining children is very appropriate.

September 3rd, 2011, 5:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

SimplePoster wrote:
While I think the Bear's front office routinely mishandles things, they're perfectly fine here. Briggs got a fair deal in total money and there's no reason to give him a new contract at this point. I really like Seifert's analogy in that article as well. Comparing Briggs (and Rosenhaus) to whining children is very appropriate.

Seeing as how Briggs signed his contract as an unrestricted free agent, I do think it's foolish of him to try and back out of it now.

On the other hand, I'm actually not opposed to guys holding out while on their rookie contracts. I think it's ridiculous if you were a later draft pick but you're one of the top performers in the league--you should be paid based on your performance as a pro, not by your performance in college and/or your agent's ability to hype you coming out.

September 4th, 2011, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
SimplePoster wrote:

Seeing as how Briggs signed his contract as an unrestricted free agent, I do think it's foolish of him to try and back out of it now.

On the other hand, I'm actually not opposed to guys holding out while on their rookie contracts. I think it's ridiculous if you were a later draft pick but you're one of the top performers in the league--you should be paid based on your performance as a pro, not by your performance in college and/or your agent's ability to hype you coming out.

There's two ways of looking at this. Players ultimately don't control where they are selected. A high draft position is a combination of hype, production, school and what your team did. A player from a small school who was productive but not overly so could be overlooked despite having a great deal of promise and skill. That's what gets guys picked in the later rounds only to become solid to great players. However, those same guys could agree to a one or two year deal, and not have their agents asking for a longer deal. Same thing goes for a guy who slips in the first round and doesn't get the big bucks he was looking for. Then his agent gets him a four or five year deal. Well, if you think you are that much better, ask for a shorter deal.

I can understand a guy like Chris Johnson wanting more than what he's being paid. He's proved his worth over more than one season. But demanding to be paid like a top five QB was utterly ridiculous. That's what pisses me off. Sorry, but he's a RB. He's not a QB, he's not a LT, he's not a DE. Those positions get the gravy, pure and simple. Then you look at a guy like Javon Walker, who had one good season and start demanding things. Sorry, but those guys piss me off too. You had one season, the team owes you nothing. Put together a string of two or three good years, then hold out.

Briggs is another example, like Umenyiora. They demand a contract, get paid up front, play those years that pay them the most, then want a new deal. Screw them and their agents.

September 4th, 2011, 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]