View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction?
Anyone else think we should change the name of this forum to Steensn's House???

September 7th, 2011, 2:51 pm
RIP Killer

I'm just living up to my goal to get a thread bigger than the girlie thread... not doing so bad!

September 7th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

So just name it "Steensn's acting like a girlie" and watch the posts pile up!

September 7th, 2011, 6:21 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

steensn wrote:
I'm just living up to my goal to get a thread bigger than the girlie thread... not doing so bad!

You only have 99 more pages to catch up but I'm sure Sly will take this on as a mission and will not be outdone by a bunch of bucknuts.

September 7th, 2011, 6:58 pm
RIP Killer

Hey, that may seem daunting but this has to be the fastest growing thread in Lionbacker history and I doubt it will slow down too much when the NCAA hands down their ruling likely sighting the same things I have said and they seemed to be hinting at lately. Lots of people will be upset if minimal punishement is handed out.

September 7th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Modmin Dude

Isn't this actually multiple threads merged into one :wink:

September 7th, 2011, 10:18 pm
RIP Killer

Nope... one thread got derailed so we took those post and moved them into this hot mess.

September 8th, 2011, 9:38 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Consultant: Ohio St. unlike a corporationEmailPrintComments14Associated Press
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- An Ohio State trustee who has maintained the university's football scandal stemmed from problems with values on Thursday added a new twist to the issue.

Jerry Jurgensen challenged a consultant charged with fixing problems identified in the scandal to say whether universities were different than other large organizations.

The consultant agreed, saying universities respond differently than businesses to changing their compliance programs, especially in areas like adhering to NCAA rules.

As a result, the message from the top of the university is especially important, said Michael Brauneis, a consultant with Menlo Park, Calif.-based Protiviti Inc.

"That makes the culture of the organization, that makes tone at the top from the board, and the executive leadership of the university, that much more important," Brauneis told trustees meeting on campus.

"Because you do have to rely to a larger extent on people knowing what's expected of them and consistently doing the right thing than in other industries," he said.

In June, Jurgensen said Ohio State's scandal developed from "cracks in a value system."

He said Thursday that from time to time in meetings, he and other trustees hear the refrain that "universities are different." Jurgensen is retired chief executive officer of Nationwide Insurance.

OSU president Gordon Gee on Thursday said top officials, including himself, the provost, the athletic director and the chief financial officer, are unified in their approach.

"We were all together on this issue, that compliance is enormously important," Gee said.

Protiviti's review will look at compliance across the university, with an emphasis on athletics, research, the medical center including Ohio State hospitals, and student financial aid.

The review will also compare Ohio State's compliance programs -- meaning how departments follow rules and regulations that apply to them -- with other universities and companies. Finally, the companies will recommend a new structure for Ohio State to follow.

Protiviti is a global business and risk consulting firm with a large Cincinnati office. A second company, New York-based law firm Dewey and LeBoeuf, will assist with legal issues arising from the review.

The review comes as Ohio State tries to recover from an NCAA rules scandal that cost former coach Jim Tressel his job and led to the departure of quarterback Terrelle Pryor.

Brauneis also said Ohio State is ahead of the curve when it comes to such a review.

"This is the first project of this scale that a large higher education institution has done," he said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ltant-says

September 8th, 2011, 7:46 pm
RIP Killer

3 suspended to miss Toledo game, no reinstatement from the NCAA. Though most Miami players go reinstated for the same $$$ amount.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... lay-toledo

September 9th, 2011, 10:14 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I guess TP couldn't go a couple of weeks without drama, looks like he is appealing after stating a couple of times he wasn't going to.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69490 ... ources-say

September 10th, 2011, 10:50 am
RIP Killer

grgrundge wrote:
I guess TP couldn't go a couple of weeks without drama, looks like he is appealing after stating a couple of times he wasn't going to.

He is extremely impressionable. The players at Oakland have been pushing him to appeal and he's going to give in at some point.

September 10th, 2011, 11:00 am
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:
grgrundge wrote:

He is extremely impressionable. The players at Oakland have been pushing him to appeal and he's going to give in at some point.

Well I think his thinking was I'm not going to start anyway so I'll server the 5 game suspension. But now he realized, and correct me if I"m not right about this, he won't be getting paid for those 5 games either. So he would be doing himself a diservice if he didn't appeal. I actually hope they lift it. I don't think NCAA suspension should carry over to the NFL to begin with.

September 10th, 2011, 12:33 pm
RIP Killer

Correct, he does not get paid for those 5 games.

September 10th, 2011, 12:55 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
OSU release

COLUMBUS, Ohio— The three Ohio State University football players suspended for last week’s game have not been reinstated by the NCAA and will not participate in the game Saturday against the University of Toledo. The university continues to work with the NCAA on the reinstatement process and is hopeful that the student-athletes will be reinstated soon. The university will have no further comment.

NCAA statement

Contrary to recent media reports, Ohio State football student-athletes Corey Brown, Jordan Hall and Travis Howard are not cleared to compete in the game on Saturday with University of Toledo. The nature and scope of their violations merit a minimum two-game suspension. In addition, the facts submitted by the university have raised further questions that need to be answered before the reinstatement process is complete.

Stacey Osburn, Associate Director of Public and Media Relations, NCAA

Seems like there might be more to the 3 suspended, BUT it is BS to say their $$$ warrants 2 games while most Miami players got 1 game.

September 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

It would be BS, but that's not why its a longer suspension.

Quote:
The nature and scope of their violations merit a minimum two-game suspension.

How long did it take before the Miami players fessed up? How long did Tressel hide it? That matters.

September 10th, 2011, 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 68  Next