View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Can we start to call Verlander...... 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Can we start to call Verlander......
Cy Young is wrapped up at this point. He still has a very good shot at the pitching triple crown as he is currently 1st in all three categories. But with that said he has a 0 percent chance at the MVP award.

I'm rooting for Grandy to win it. He was my favorite Tiger and even as a Yankee I can't find anything to dislike about the guy.

September 14th, 2011, 11:22 am
League MVP

0%? no, i bet he will get some first place votes and has a shot at winning it if he hits 25 wins and takes the pitching triple crown.

September 15th, 2011, 7:18 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The Legend wrote:
0%? no, i bet he will get some first place votes and has a shot at winning it if he hits 25 wins and takes the pitching triple crown.

I think JV has about a 30-40% chance to win it, especially if he gets to 25 like you said. Smart baseball people will realize that JV kept the Tigs in the race thru the months of June July and August and without him the Tigs probably are not in it. Another factor that might benefit him is that I believe that the east coast voters might split the voting between Granderson, Gonazales, Pedroia, and Elsbury.

September 15th, 2011, 8:03 am
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:

It's not that he doesn't deserve it, it's just that the people who vote for the MVP simply won't consider a pitcher unless there is no clear MVP everyday player to consider. Look back at Orel Hershiser's 1988 season.

taken from Orel Hershiser's Wikipedia page:

Quote:

Hershiser put together one of the best single seasons in pitching history in 1988. That year, he led the league in wins (23), innings (267), and complete games (15). He finished the season with a record 59 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings pitched, breaking the mark held by Dodger great Don Drysdale. (It reached 60 innings going into 1989.) He also won his first Gold Glove. He was unanimously selected as the Cy Young Award winner, with a record of 23–8 and a 2.26 ERA.

Orel took 6th in the MVP voting, behind Gibson, Strawberry, McReynolds, Van Slyke and Clark. Pitchers just don't have that great of a chance to win the award, that's all I'm saying.

September 15th, 2011, 8:34 am

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
The Legend wrote:

It's not that he doesn't deserve it, it's just that the people who vote for the MVP simply won't consider a pitcher unless there is no clear MVP everyday player to consider. Look back at Orel Hershiser's 1988 season.

taken from Orel Hershiser's Wikipedia page:

Quote:

Hershiser put together one of the best single seasons in pitching history in 1988. That year, he led the league in wins (23), innings (267), and complete games (15). He finished the season with a record 59 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings pitched, breaking the mark held by Dodger great Don Drysdale. (It reached 60 innings going into 1989.) He also won his first Gold Glove. He was unanimously selected as the Cy Young Award winner, with a record of 23–8 and a 2.26 ERA.

Orel took 6th in the MVP voting, behind Gibson, Strawberry, McReynolds, Van Slyke and Clark. Pitchers just don't have that great of a chance to win the award, that's all I'm saying.

I completely understand your argument but my gut feeling is telling me that JV will finish in the top three.

September 15th, 2011, 9:52 am
RIP Killer

FYI - Pedro had a 2.07 era while going 23-4 and got 2nd place. Jv has stiff competition from brandy, a-gonz, and pedrioa. Jv will easily be top 5, possibly top 3 with a very, very outside chance at winning. I think he'll place 3rd

September 15th, 2011, 10:16 am
Afghan Allstar

8 scoreless innings today drops his ERA to 2.29 the lowest in the MLB.

September 18th, 2011, 8:09 pm

JV is now the first pitcher since "78 to have at least 24 wins and over 240 K's and he has some pretty interesting company on this list including three fomer Tigers; Lolich, McClain and Newhouser.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310918111

September 19th, 2011, 7:13 am
League MVP

roy: i understand ur argument but it just seems like Verlander for MVP is getting a lot of support from more writers than in the past.

The last pitcher to win MVP was Clemens 1986, Verlander s numbers are very similar

Clemens: 24-4 2.48/0.97, 254 IP, 238 Ks, 67 BBs, 10 CG, 1 shutout, WAR 7.9
Verlander: 24-5 2.29/0.91, 244 IP 244 Ks 56 BBs 4 CG, 2 shutouts, 1 no hitter, wins above replacement 8.6
938 batters faced

I dunno thats pretty close, I say if he gets the 25 th win he will be top 3. Jose Bautista will not win because he is on a 4th place team, Granderson is going to lose votes because of his 268 Batting AVG, Ellsbury/Gonzalez/Pedroia will split a lot of their votes and Boston may slide out of the playoffs. Cabrera, Vmart and Valverde should also grab some votes. Among this group i think bautista should win it but I dont think he will...i think verlander has a chance

September 20th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Heisman Winner

No one will be happier if I'm wrong then myself. But you need to realize that Clemens was on one to the two biggest teams, the Red Sox and he he had far less competition with Don Mattingly finishing second with 31 HRs.

I hope I'm wrong but pitchers rarely win this award.

September 21st, 2011, 12:35 pm

If the Red Sox keep going down in flames the only player JV might be competing against will be Granderson.

September 21st, 2011, 12:36 pm
Towel Boy

Verlander will be getting MVP votes, there is on doubt that he will win the Cy Young. No doubt.

September 21st, 2011, 1:11 pm
League MVP

Quote:
No one will be happier if I'm wrong then myself.
Quote:
But you need to realize that Clemens was on one to the two biggest teams, the Red Sox
and he he had far less competition with Don Mattingly finishing second with 31 HRs.

the only thing we disagree on is that you think verlander has a 0% chance which is just not true...

the redsox yankees thing wasnt as big in 1986 as it is now

September 23rd, 2011, 6:56 am
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
No one will be happier if I'm wrong then myself.
Quote:
But you need to realize that Clemens was on one to the two biggest teams, the Red Sox
and he he had far less competition with Don Mattingly finishing second with 31 HRs.

the only thing we disagree on is that you think verlander has a 0% chance which is just not true...

the redsox yankees thing wasnt as big in 1986 as it is now

I say, let's both root against my suspicion. :cheers:

September 23rd, 2011, 12:43 pm

JV had a bad outing Saturday giving up 5 earned runs and getting a no decision. He still leads the triple crown for pitchers with a very thin lead of only 0.01 in the earn run category. Cabrera is now leading the AL in hitting and I could even make an argument with his numbers that he could finish in the top three, especially if he wins the batting crown.

September 26th, 2011, 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next