View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 8:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
Post Re: OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction?
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
Quote:
An Ohio State booster has accepted responsibility for the payments three Buckeyes players received at a charity event earlier this year.
Big Ten Blog

Robert "Bobby" DiGeronimo told The Columbus Dispatch that he played a key role in the $200 payments given to Jordan Hall, Travis Howard and Corey Brown. The payments took place at a Feb. 19 fundraiser for a charity run by DiGeronimo's son-in-law.

Hall, Howard and Brown were suspended for Ohio State's first two games before being reinstated Tuesday by the NCAA. They are eligible to play Saturday against Miami.

DiGeronimo told The Dispatch that former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor provided the money to his teammates, adding that the payments were reimbursement for travel expenses to the event.

"However Mr. Pryor got the money, I take responsibility," DiGeronimo told the newspaper. "I am responsible for those kids coming up here from Columbus. I handled it wrong. I should not have handled it the way I did."

DiGeronimo, who cooperated with the NCAA during its investigation, said no one from the charity organization knew about the payments. Two other Ohio State players who attended the event said they didn't receive payments.

Adam Rittenberg

No matter if anyone tries to convince me otherwise I still think he's a bum.

It appears Pryor was the bagman. Just a complete waste of space.

When Pryor went to OSU I said I was glad and didn't want him at UofM after that whole Corvette picture taking fiasco. People said that I just had sour grapes, I said "no, he will cost the team more than he gives them..." Boy was I right on that one.

September 18th, 2011, 2:30 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
When Pryor went to OSU I said I was glad and didn't want him at UofM after that whole Corvette picture taking fiasco. People said that I just had sour grapes, I said "no, he will cost the team more than he gives them..." Boy was I right on that one.

Problem is he only did enough to get suspended 5 games and through BS idiots in the media and gobbling the reports up he was driven out of town for LIES I bet you still believe in yet they have been proven false. So in that case, is a 5 game suspension (which is all he really did) more negatively impactful than what he did on the field? I don't think so. If you believe all the nonsense that went on was Pryor's fault then you create a self fulfilling prophesy.

September 18th, 2011, 10:31 am
RIP Killer

OSU breaks longest streak on top 25 after 7 years...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -time-2004

September 18th, 2011, 3:26 pm
steensn wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Problem is he only did enough to get suspended 5 games and through BS idiots in the media and gobbling the reports up he was driven out of town for LIES I bet you still believe in yet they have been proven false. So in that case, is a 5 game suspension (which is all he really did) more negatively impactful than what he did on the field? I don't think so. If you believe all the nonsense that went on was Pryor's fault then you create a self fulfilling prophesy.

He also did enough to get the head coach fired, and was involved in conduct that hurt the rest of the team. It's not clear who brought who to whom, but it seemed like Pryor was a king pin in much of what was happening. He's also still being investigated.

September 18th, 2011, 8:26 pm
RIP Killer

Tressel made his own mistakes...

You would think you would learn from your last 4-5 tirades claiming everything you hear is the truth...

September 19th, 2011, 9:44 am
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:
Tressel made his own mistakes...

You would think you would learn from your last 4-5 tirades claiming everything you hear is the truth...

Dude we get it, most of the rumors about the violations were false. Wrong doing was done and punished correctly, why do you care so much that random people don't have the facts correct. Most of the people don't care enough to look into the actual truth, which also means they don't want to be told either. Otherwise they would have done the proper research themselves.

September 19th, 2011, 9:13 pm
RIP Killer

Because it is a discussion boar and the sum of those random people cost people their jobs. I know it is long, but this was my stance from the beginning if you would like to go check it out ;) My point is the media has NO control unless we give it to them. When we grasp on to every conjecture they throw out their and give them reason to base their stories on unchecked sources we give them more power to do it the next time because all they do is give us what we want to hear. If want the truth and a reporter is discredited for posting unchecked trash because they didn't investigate it then we will get more well thought out stories like Yahoo's investigations have been. When you simply post that latest gossip in the "news" section and then the line below it is a link to an "opinion" piece acting like it is 100% truth you get people fired to sacrifice to the media gods.

I haveno idea why people think they have no impact on stuff like this. If we put half as much effort srutinizing the news as we do fighting to argue for whatever crap they are telling us at the time we could get back to good news sources. Instead we got all this BS on TV, the internet, and newspapers. My beef really isn't OSU based, it is my beef with media. This is just the perfect storm to bring it out.

September 20th, 2011, 9:48 am
RIP Killer

Just read this article!

http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2 ... ntial.html

Quote:
ANN ARBOR — A man involved in the Ohio State football scandal by giving cash to former Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor provided a false identity to gain a media credential for Michigan’s Sept. 3 season opener against Western Michigan, according to a UM spokesman.

WHAT!? This is my beef with the media... just crappy reporting and the smear campaign now has rumors as facts.

September 21st, 2011, 11:11 am
Player of the Year - Offense

steensn wrote:
Just read this article!

http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2 ... ntial.html

Quote:
ANN ARBOR — A man involved in the Ohio State football scandal by giving cash to former Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor provided a false identity to gain a media credential for Michigan’s Sept. 3 season opener against Western Michigan, according to a UM spokesman.

WHAT!? This is my beef with the media... just crappy reporting and the smear campaign now has rumors as facts.

He was involved, as he's part of the investigation, so that part is fact.

Quote:
Talbott wore a sideline press credential with a different name when he took photos of Michigan’s 34-10 win over the Broncos. Talbott, who obtained the credential through the publication, Ohio Sports Weekly, is accused of giving Pryor between $20,000 and $40,000

He is accused of giving him money, so its not rumor. The fact that he's accused is fact.

I know you dislike stories that even mention things might not be kosher with OSU, but there's nothing wrong with the story. They didn't say he gave him money, they say he's accused and involved. And he did use a false name to get a media credential.

September 21st, 2011, 4:17 pm
RIP Killer

Read the first sentence again:

Quote:
A man involved in the Ohio State football scandal by giving cash to former Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor

That does not read as:

"A man accused of giving money to former Bucketes quaterback Terrelle Pryor"

Even you can agree that this is a stark difference in how it is presented. Again, he was accused by an unnamed source to a reporter who did no investigation just like everything else.

September 21st, 2011, 4:51 pm

But he is involved with the scandal for that reason. It was poorly written in there should be a comma after scandal, and then after Pryor, because its a separate thought. Without the comma, it can give off a misleading message depends on who reads it obviously. But just like you can't take single line out of the bible to explain the context, you have to read the whole article where it plainly states what he's accused of.

September 21st, 2011, 6:21 pm
RIP Killer

Look, commas wouldn't help anyone. The first sentence sets the tone for the article and should not need clarification per the rest of the article. Saying someone is involved with a scandal and what his part of that scandal is confusing for most people because "scandal" seems to have some weight behind it as opposed to what it really is which is an accusation.

You totally understand this njroar, saying things factually that are correct doesn't mean you have subjectively gotten across the situation. Just like whena news source puts the "article" right next to the "op ed" piece written by the same author. Just because it is technically correct doesn't mean that the subjective responce to that is based on truth. In this article, technically scandal means something to defame someone or something that could be based on truth or lies... but when people read it they no longer think of that in today's context. It gives the issue too much weight, it conveys a sense of real issue when in fact it was a crappy source that was unchecked and is now an afterthought. Why not be MORE factually correct and note that it's considered total crap? Why settle on "factually correct" but unclear?

September 21st, 2011, 7:50 pm

But they weren't unclear. They identified Talbot, who is best known as connected to the scandal at OSU, and said he got a credential under a different name.

What happened at OSU is a scandal. Regardless of what's been proven and what's speculation, its a scandal. Things were hidden. There's no accused scandal. OSU was involved with a scandal. The only fact that is unclear about that word is the depth of it and what the final resolution will reveal. His connection is clear. The only part that is an accusation is if he actually gave money to Pryor. He's accused of it, it hasn't been disproved, so he is connected, rightly or wrongly. Its not an accusation to say there was a scandal at OSU.

As for news next to op-eds, in a print newspaper, you'd never see that. Online, they put similar articles links next to it. That's everywhere. You don't have to click, and its your responsibility to see if its a hard news piece, or its labeled opinion.

Back to this story... They mention the scandal as a way of identifying Talbot. The story is about Talbot using a fake name and having his credential revoked once Michigan found out.

There's nothing factually wrong in the story. There is nothing wrong with using the word scandal in the context of the story, except for the grammatical errors in the first sentence.

Are you upset because they used the word scandal and OSU in same sentence? I'm just trying to figure out what your problem is exactly so I can answer more precisely.

September 21st, 2011, 9:49 pm
Junior Varsity

steensn wrote:
Look, commas wouldn't help anyone. The first sentence sets the tone for the article and should not need clarification per the rest of the article. Saying someone is involved with a scandal and what his part of that scandal is confusing for most people because "scandal" seems to have some weight behind it as opposed to what it really is which is an accusation.

You totally understand this njroar, saying things factually that are correct doesn't mean you have subjectively gotten across the situation. Just like whena news source puts the "article" right next to the "op ed" piece written by the same author. Just because it is technically correct doesn't mean that the subjective responce to that is based on truth. In this article, technically scandal means something to defame someone or something that could be based on truth or lies... but when people read it they no longer think of that in today's context. It gives the issue too much weight, it conveys a sense of real issue when in fact it was a crappy source that was unchecked and is now an afterthought. Why not be MORE factually correct and note that it's considered total crap? Why settle on "factually correct" but unclear?

September 21st, 2011, 10:32 pm
RIP Killer

Wonderful... I'm glad fetumpsh consistently says nothing... over and over and over again yet somehow is smarter than everyone.

Glad you guys can ignore reality so well... must be nice. You may think that I care at all about what someone who never actually makes a point says... but clearly I could care less. Additionally, if you guys want to pump up weak arguments, points based on false and overstated claims, and simply lying please keep doing it, it makes things so much easier when things get dead quite after it's clear you guys are dead wrong. Simple solution... don't say anything for a month or so, jump in, and act like it never happened!

I have more than enough wonderful examples in this thread of exactly the point I was making... and all you guys seem to have is "nuh uh." I wish I could ignore reality as well as you guys and just jump in to poke fun at people, but I simply can't stoop to that level.

September 21st, 2011, 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next