View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cam Newton 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Cam Newton
Now that I live in California I go to a sports bar to watch the Lions. I tried to keep an eye on Cam Newton to see how he would do against a team that is favored to return to the Super Bowl. I didn't watch every play, but I was impressed by the bit I saw. He looks confident. Most plays he did not look like a rookie.

I thought cam might be another Troy Smith. I see Cam as being a much better athlete, but I thought he would fail in the same fashion. I always that QB's in a pro style offense translates better in the NFL and I thought Cam would not be able to make that adjustment. Cam has better accuracy than I expected and he can make any throw asked of him. He is still making some mistakes, but I see that more as a rookie being a rookie and not him being able to 'get it'.

Obviously only 2 games into his career, and we all know about 1 year wonders (Derek Anderson), but I can see him being a legit star in the league.

Anyone else catch any of the game? I am curious by what others on here think.

September 19th, 2011, 3:25 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cam Newton
Cam can't be a Troy Smith because Troy Smith was never the athlete Cam is. Troy Smith is only 6' tall on even if you throw in a few inches. He can't fail like a late round draft pick... simply not comparible. If Cam is going to fail, he is going to fail like a Russel and the millions he made sucking.

But you are right in saying he seems to be a lot farther along than most rookie QB's. He did throw 3 INT last game though, so that shows a lot, but he certainly can get yardage!

September 19th, 2011, 9:49 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Russel didn't fail because of how he played on the field, he failed because he didn't do what you needed to do off the field. I thought Cam was going to be a bust, but he's mentally doing what is necessary. He got drafted, took the small window in the lockout to get a playbook, went down to Florida and studied with 2 former NFL QB's and learned the playbook. The coaching staff is using what he knows and slowly putting in 25% new plays and 75% of what he knows, so they're doing it smart also.

Cam has the desire to be successful and that alone puts him in a totally different league than Russel. If he keeps it up he'll be successful. If he gets content, he'll go nowhere.

Right now, he's on pace for 6400 yards and 0-16.

September 19th, 2011, 4:30 pm
RIP Killer

Good points NROAR, I like the stat at the end :)

September 19th, 2011, 4:31 pm
RIP Killer

I'll admit, Cam Newton is playing better than I thought he would be. But the remainder of Carolina's team, particularly their defense, is average to poor. Therefore, Cam's going to throw for a BUNCH of yards, because the Panthers will be playing from behind more often than not.

September 20th, 2011, 10:02 am
Heisman Winner

Well yesterday he finally came back to normal. Had a decent game, nothing special but got the W.

I think the 1st 2 games though while not flukes don't really show the true story IMO. He got tons of yardage but the yards were mostly off bombs to Steve Smith. I know that's part of the game but I'm not sure what the defenses were doing..I think 3 times this year he's hit Smith for a 50+ yard TD. Maybe the D is expecting short stuff or him to run because it was like watching the Lions 08 defense play. No coverage at all...

September 26th, 2011, 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]